So what's your position on spiders?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spiders. Me, I don't like them at all.

Yes I know they eat insects which I also have no use for. But in my house spiders have no place. Not at all. And then there's the poisonous kind like black widows and brown recluses that inhabit many an urban or country dwelling. Woodsheds, porches, basements. Deadly. Not even mentioning the bigass tarantulas in certain parts of the world.  

Specifically, what I'm getting at is how do you deal with spiders in your house? Do you kill them on sight, catch and release them into the wild, or ignore them?

Today I did something that I don't normally do. There was a rather big wolf spider caught in my kitchen sink, and I could've easily squashed it or drowned it with hot water.

Yet, I got a broom dustpan and got it up on it. Knowing full well that those suckers are fast and could easily run over the dustpan.....maybe even my arm!

This one was pretty mellow, but yet active. Got it outside where I released it into my garage area. Fell off the dustpan once, but it didn't freak out.

Guess I'm going soft in my head. I'd normally crush the bugger without a second thought. Yet, wolf spiders are not a hazard to humans and eat insects.

Here's the culprit-

images

Cheers,

RR

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of spiders... My reaction to finding a spider in my home usually depends on the context... If I see one walking along the baseboard or floor I may try to gently catch and release the critter. If I find one because it was crawling up my leg or across my arm, etc, I'm not usually so gentle. If we're discussing ticks, a very special sort of foul arachnid, the encounter will likely result exercise of my second amendment rights or other judicious use of lethal force, punctuated by small screams or other battle cries I reserve for that kind of mortal combat.

Here's my take on spiders. It may be a little silly.

Satan was a serpent. A snake. There is a reason I don't freakin' like snakes. They are all Satan!

Here is my theory for spiders! Satan got pissed that he didn't have legs anymore, so he worked on growing some. As a matter of fact, he grew 8! Just to show God and us humans who is boss right ;)

Anyways, snakes and spiders are a no-go in my book. I have encountered many snakes of different varieties and only once did I let a snake go and that was because I didn't have back-up if things went sideways. And it was a black snake that I know is supposed to be harmless (I have killed others when I have back up because I don't want them to bite my dog).

I have a fear of spiders but despite this I catch them and throw them outside. I became more intentional with this because of my daughter who is 6. I don't want her to kill things (anything) for no reason or for fun or boredom. It seems like evil cruelty.

I also encourage her to not intentionally step on bugs or worms outside. Don't get me wrong. We are not scanning the ground with every step, but when we see critters we step around them.

God made it all.

That being said, last night I squished dead what I'm pretty sure was a brown recluse in my kitchen. Not messin with poisonous ones.

I have a different view. As a creationist I believe God made everything  for a reason and for it to have survived the flood it still has a reason for being created. So that I don't sound like I'm preaching I'll let just say I do believe they belong outside but I believe to just kill one is killing a creation of God for no other  reason than there is a  fear of  them or some one might find them a  nuance. If we are made in his image and are to be good Stuards of the earth we should think before we kill. Not saying I'm a hippy but just my view. But as for poisonous ones use your judgement is your life in danger or could it be then use your judgement.

Brewdude":z26rpd0f said:
Specifically, what I'm getting at is how do you deal with spiders in your house? Do you kill them on sight, catch and release them into the wild, or ignore them?
We live on a buggy wooded lot on the banks of the Mississippi River and without a monthly visit from the Orkin man our house would look like The Munster's house. They where here today and "painted" the exterior with liquid and the ground with a granular pesticide. It's not perfect and the service is fairly expensive but it's worth the money. :shock:

Inside the house, they get squished right there.   :twisted:
Outside, they might get a pass, unless they're a Widow or Recluse.
I like the pretty ones.   ;)

Rats? Mice? Snakes? Bees? Bugs and beetles? Yeah, I'm fine.

Spiders? Irrationally, deathly afraid.

They're just another "bug" that looks extra creepy because of the length of their legs. I find the relatively harmless ones to be more amusing than frightening. What's cooler than a tarantula? Or jumping spiders? Wasps are what I hate. I use a vacuum cleaner on them, and just suck them up. Ditto flies and other insectivora nuisances.

I relocate them to outside.

My method:
Put a cup over it. Then, slide a piece of paper under the cup thus trapping it. Pick up cup keeping paper firmly in place and flip cup over. Go to window and dump out cup.

Much like Arky I feel spiritually against killing living creatures without a just reason. I myself wouldn't like to be stomped on, sprayed with toxins or swatted to death...so I respect that they wouldn't either.

Just because we are top of the food chain does not give us the right to kill what we don't understand.

Psmith's way of cup and paper works well for spiders and bees/wasps. Catch and release.

That said, I am not as sure of my mercy if the subject is a recluse or widow.

Fazby":xnqjtgo6 said:
Psmith's way of cup and paper works well for spiders and bees/wasps.  Catch and release.

That said, I am not as sure of my mercy if the subject is a recluse or widow.
That's where judgement comes in

Yes and our place is to protect and maintain the earth and it's creation.
Just the farmer in me I guesse.