So what's your position on spiders?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not quit raising hogs for food. Killing is not bad it's the act of killing with no reason that's bad I kill eat and butcher my own lamb hogs and beef but I have a reason to feed me and the family, why kill a spider if it has done nothing to you? You can't eat it tan it or use it, unless you eat them and in witch case go for it. But I do not take death of anything lightly I respect the animal for giving me food I give it a good life it gives me a good life.

Back in the late 70's a friend of mine had a Mexican Red Tarantula as a pet. He'd take it out of the terrarium and let it crawl up his arm to his shoulders and around his neck. Said it was pretty mellow normally, but if it reared up then look out 'cause it's pissed and will attack!

Witnessing him "playing" with that thing both horrified and amazed me. No way would I let a big ugly hairy thing like that crawl on me! Damn thing was as big as my hand!

:affraid:

NO CHEERS!!

RR

Brewdude":5utgoj5e said:
Back in the late 70's a friend of mine had a Mexican Red Tarantula as a pet. He'd take it out of the terrarium and let it crawl up his arm to his shoulders and around his neck. Said it was pretty mellow normally, but if it reared up then look out 'cause it's pissed and will attack!

Witnessing him "playing" with that thing both horrified and amazed me. No way would I let a big ugly hairy thing like that crawl on me! Damn thing was as big as my hand!

:affraid:

NO CHEERS!!

RR
Gives me the willies!

As far away from them as I can get! :lol!:

I do my best to catch and throw 'em in the bushes if they're being a nuisance. No call for the death sentence for just being a spider.

I quite like most of them myself! I won't allow a black widow or brown recluse to live but have no issues at all with any others. If they're in the way I'll relocate them otherwise I just let them be. I have had as many as 10 tarantulas as pets at a time and enjoyed playing with and handeling them on a regular basis. The only one I wasn't allowed to play with was an Orange Baboon Tarantula which people in the business of spiders call Orange Bitey Things. Super aggressive guys that can leave fang marks in a no 2 pencil. I'll pass but she was a lot of fun to watch.

Jim

One day decades ago, my missus and toddler daughter were motoring through a mall parking lot. Darlin' Dotter says, "Look mommy, a pidey." Sure enough, and right on the seat beside her. Mommy shrieks, jumps out of the car, and a passerby luckily jumped in, popped it in neutral, applied the emergency brake and killed the spider. Darlin' Dotter was unharmed. In her defense, my wife's brother used to alleviate boredom on the farm by using a stick to capture a bit of web with a fat barn spider on it and chase his sisters around the green house. Sooo, I take no chances. Spiders are given a fair trial, then executed. I have a response to the all life is sacred theory, though it has not won universal agreement. A positivist would note that God creates more spiders (snakes, wasps ...) than he could reasonably expect to live to a ripe old age. So it could be part of God's plan for us to cull (harvest? Ha ha) the excess, those being the ones that cross our paths and disturb the peace.