So, who is running this place, now?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
I'm one of the BoB founder's group, but left it years ago because somebody (now gone) went all "I'm gonna delete, trim, re-arrange, and remove every thread on this board to suit my personal taste" like they were pruning bushes in their garden.  I finally decided to give it another try, and a month into it here we go again.  That sort of shit pisses me off big time.  Grown-ups have grown-up conversations.  Always have, and always will.  So, either let them, or don't.  But don't flip flop back and forth.  

So.  I repeat:  Who is running this place, now?

I'm true sorry for my actions in the three I posted and never want to make a rash or umthought out post I'm so thankfully for being able to be here tho I'd admit I can be rash at times something I'm working on I'm not sure who runs it but thankfully they do guys we do need to remember every one has a say in there apropret three or area on the board and this should be a place for free speech but remember as I know I need to to respect every one here as I said thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be here ant learn

George, the same bunch that has been for some time. Myself, Mark, Carlos, PB, mr E, Blackhorse. I think you must be referring to the threads that got deleted. Lets just say that as always, all political and religious and/or inflammatory subjects are supposed to be relegated to the rubber room. If they don't start that way but end up that way we move them to the rubber room. Always been that way. As mods we sometimes screw up. We sometimes miss things and don't clean house until something has been sitting out there a day or two. Has nothing to do with opinion, participation, worldview or anything else. Those threads were asked to be moved to the rubber room. We have a mod who was unable to perform that task due to his personal device issues not conforming to the forumotion system and the threads got deleted. He intended for them to be moved, they could not be moved, the threads continued to go off course, so they were deleted. Feel free to post whatever you like regarding those thread topics in the rubber room, start over. Sorry.

Believe it or not, we do have people who do not want to see any of that stuff (politics, religion, etc). They only come here for pipes. So, we have the rubber room, where anyone can cover those topics and those who don't want to see them don't have to.

This practice goes all the way back to J Huggie creating the thing. Sorry if this instance created any aggrivation, but that's the whole of it.

Thanks for the explanation, JD.

Sounds like it was a tech issue, then.  

The whole "rubber room" concept still mystifies me, though.  Whether board level or post header level, a reader chooses what to click on or skip in exactly the same way. But then I also enjoy Jeff Cooper's story of eating lunch at a restaurant in Prescott, AZ, where a woman at a nearby table got all fluttery and upset by the sight of the pistol on his belt.  She went on long and loud enough that after a while Jeff asked his waiter for an extra napkin, carefully draped it over his holster, and said, "There you go, madam.  It's all better now..."  

:lol:

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition either.
I suppose a normal thread can digress quite easily so would need transfer to an alternate place. That's one of the reasons we have mods. Sounds like a good system to me. I'm on enough boards with a "non-pc" section or a "politics" section where I can't resist leaving my little gems of opinion. Much like a pigeon flying between statues (G).

Puff Daddy":edq14vnw said:
...Lets just say that as always, all political and religious and/or inflammatory subjects are supposed to be relegated to the rubber room...
PD: Wow...I plead genuine ignorance of the law. It might not be an excuse, but it's the truth. Can you point me to the place on BoB where it explicitly says that all political and religious subjects are supposed to be relegated to the rubber room? I completely missed that one.

I do get the ban on posting inflammatory subjects outside the RR...although apparently there is no clear definition of what's "inflammatory". When in doubt, I've erred on the side of caution and have deliberately gone straight to the RR to start a thread that is likely to be (or to become) inflammatory. But I honestly had no idea that all political and religious content was supposed to go RR-ward.

I think you know me well enough to know that I would never deliberately flout the rules in someone else's house. I do my best to behave with civility, not just feign it. But if there are clearly articulated rules that I should have read — rules that would have informed my participation in the threads that have now been deleted — I missed them. Mea culpa. So I would appreciate a pointer to where they are. I couldn't find them in The Village Charter...and of course, BoB still has no constitution.

Regarding the deleted content, I just about blew a gasket when it disappeared. I would have blown off BoB completely if I didn’t have such high regard for the mods/admins whom I know personally. I figured, “There has to be a reasonable explanation for this...” On its face, it looked like BoB had become politicized. A couple of Clinton supporters whined because they didn't like what was posted, and next thing that happened was content deletion — not relocation, deletion. It had the feel of an unconscionable suppression of discussion simply because some folks disagreed with it.

Well, I know you, pB, Carlos, and Eric better than that. I don't know Mark very well, but he seems pretty even-handed. Blackhorse I don't know at all...and he was one of the members who objected...although apparently he asked that someone else move the thread because he couldn’t do it himself, for whatever reason.

I just want to be clear on what happened. Are you saying that the forum software that enables relocation of a thread was broken, and that the only option available to the mods/admins was to delete the thread? Really? No one considered asking the posters to edit their posts... (I would have done so without hesitation if I had known I was breaking a rule.)...or to save their content so the thread could be restored in the RR? The only answer was to just nuke everything?

That seems pretty heavy-handed to me, but I don't know everything that was posted after my last post in that thread. Maybe the discussion spun completely out of control, in which case I guess the broken software was a mitigating circumstance.

Anyhow, I will greatly appreciate your pointing me toward the rules I evidently missed. In the meantime, I unreservedly apologize for offending anyone's sensibilities by inadvertently violating those rules.

newjok10.png

Vito, it was the device used. It looses it's connection in the stream of the Move procedure. And then it comes up an says that the session has timed out. No one else was around to help him at the time. I think I was probably in bed, being kept awake by the wife fidgeting at the time it went down. Or coming back from Osage beach and Sedalia, MO. The Delete thread function works a bit differently, and that device was capable of dealing with it in that manner. It was a judgement call. I have made them. Some I wished I did differently and some I am so glad I handled the way I did.

Strange things happen here on Forumotion. Right now I am not getting New Member notifications. I get Private Message notifications. It's crazy.

Yes, there was a rule in the past. We all seem to recall it. But cannot find much evidence of it now. Evidence of blowups caused by it exist. We will try to clean up some of the confusing Stickies and Rule threads. But it's going to take time. We have some good suggestions already. Not trying to change the character.

But I have spent too many hours, yes hours today, dealing with a number of administrative things. And I am stressed a bit. Hope this explains it.

Carlos:

No worries, amigo. And see...I was right. There IS a reasonable explanation.  :mrgreen:

Thanks for taking the time to let me know what happened, especially in view of the hassles of dealing with Forumotion's idiosyncrasies. Been there, done that.

For the record, I appreciate the job you and BoB team members do, and I know that judgment calls as a forum admin can be tough. I've had to make a few myself, and I still second-guess myself about some of them.

If there's no coherent codicil (yet) stating the BoB rules, don't sweat it. At least I didn't miss it. And now I've got the word from Brothah PD: No political or religious posts outside the RR. Got it. So be it.

Veet

newjok10.png