Some cool pipes from Dagner

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
Sure don't need another pipe, but I like to look...

FullSizeRender-12.jpg" style="width: 1024px;height: 1024px

FullSizeRender-4-1.jpg" style="width: 1024px;height: 1024px

7C109DA4-695D-4FCD-B308-F7B2CCABD41E.jpeg" style="width: 1024px;height: 1024px

I really like the smooth Anse and the Pots, the Bent Pot is very tempting

I see plenty there to like. That smooth Civil War is awful nice. I also like the mini pot and the bulldog. I'm guessing from the look and the name that Custom Built pipes was the inspiration? What surprises me the most is I like the looks of the squashed tomato. That is a shape that I am not normally drawn to, but this one appeals to me. Nice stuff. Did you see the Halloween poker? Not my thing, but I'm sure a lot of folks are liking it.

Yup, the Halloween Poker is neat, but I'm with you, not my thing. I just don't like a lot of colors or bling on a pipe.

Corncobcon":349snqkp said:
My favorites are the Poker and bent Pot. So, how many are you going to buy, Andy? :p: :lol:
I was going to get the smooth CWA a while back, but I recently got the Peterson POTY17 instead. I am very tempted by the Pots though....

ak2000":0uylaz3a said:
Corncobcon":0uylaz3a said:
My favorites are the Poker and bent Pot. So, how many are you going to buy, Andy? :p: :lol:
I was going to get the smooth CWA a while back, but I recently got the Peterson POTY17 instead. I am very tempted by the Pots though....
Good choice. 8)

Zeno Marx":3ehuobz3 said:
What's the stem material?  Looks like plastic, like a toy.  
From their website: "Stems are all Acrylic with Delrin Chamfered tenons"

I have their P7 Poker and have no complaint about the quality.

I really like that mini-pot and Bulldog, nice rustication finish.
Is that a Devil Anse I notice??? Hard to tell from the angel for sure.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":rdmhyuq1 said:
I really like that mini-pot and Bulldog, nice rustication finish.
Is that a Devil Anse I notice??? Hard to tell from the angel for sure.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
They're calling it a Civil War pipe, but yeah, as far as I can tell it looks like an Devil Anse.

Simple Man ":diwlxj61 said:
They're calling it a Civil War pipe, but yeah, as far as I can tell it looks like an Devil Anse.
Thanks for the info, all beauties and not overpriced. I own a Dagner Design Cob Poker pipe and I'm really enjoying it :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":871f2l0t said:
Simple Man":871f2l0t said:
Thanks for the info, all beauties and not overpriced. I own a Dagner Design Cob Poker pipe and I'm really enjoying it :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
That's the only one I own at the present too, but I'm really considering buying one of their briars soon.

I have two Devil Anse pipes. One is an Eltang purchased from a friend and gifted to me and my favorite from Ron Powell...one of my top 3 best smokers. I've posted pictures prior. Ron used Grecian briar and the smoking pleasure is OUT OF THIS WORLD... :cheers:

I'm going to the Dagner website and check out that mini-pot. Definitely my kind of pipe!! Just need to check the diameter of the chamber.

PS, just checked out their website and the Built Custom pipes range from $109.00 to $119.00. Very reasonable for what your getting!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Zeno Marx":z4j6krgo said:
Do you think the stamping is actually laser etching?
Yup, how else can you get the skull so precise/perfect on a round shank. I don't believe they would have a metal punch designed to suffice ALL their different shapes and styles.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

While I was never crazy about the chunky Custombilt pipes, I do like the finishes on these. Looks like something Randy Wiley would create.

I wouldn't purchase one, but out of curiosity, who's making these for the Dagners? I read or perhaps heard they were made in Italy, but by who?

Simple Man":z9qwa58o said:
Zeno, I take it you are not a fan of Dagners?
I've never seen one before this thread.  I'm definitely open to new pipe makers, especially in the sub-$150 price range.  The caveat to that is:  are they doing anything to cut corners, or the like, to get at that price range?  That's not an accusation.  That's not rhetorical.  That's a question, and I'm going to ask it.  I'm not going to be diplomatic about it.

As I look at the photos here and on their webpage, I do have to admit that the stem material looks odd, but then they have delrin tenons.  That perception and then fact confuses my brain because not quality vs quality.  The finish is weirdly shiny, like what I remember seeing in various bucket pipes I sold, and witnessed as product samples.  And then the laser etching.  I think they look cheap in the photos, but I also know that can simply be the photos.  I remain open, but I am also seeing reasons to be skeptical.  Is it a case of design over quality?  Let's face it.  That wouldn't be out of the question.  That's sort of the mark of the times.  Things look great, but are made like garbage.  And with the philosophy in mind, it's easy to cut costs.

I'm not trying to be negative just to be a jerk.  I like their designs quite a bit.  They just look weird to me is all.