Some cool pipes from Dagner

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dagner just creates the design and the pipes are made at a factory in Italy. I've read from many threads that they are hand made....I think NOT. Maybe handed by one person on an assembly line to another...that's it. I know a number of pipe smokers that own a Dagner or two and they ALL told me when asked " a great price for a good smoking pipe ".

A buddy of mine that sold his B&M back on Long Island also sold a number of Dagner's with no complaints from customers. But what I personally noticed when I held three different Dagner briar poker pipes ( which sold like hot cakes ) they ALL were identical...exact like a clone!! Only a lathe that's programmed by a computer ( not a human ) can achieve an identical piece. Whether it's a wood bowl or a briar pipe.

KEEP ON PUFFING ON A PIPE YOU LIKE!!!

That's funny. Also not of any surprise. So much is done on CNC machines these days. I would think they could rip through briar at a pretty nice clip. Would also explain the laser-like etching because it could all be done at the same time as identical "carving".

Maybe the first company to use a CNC for pipes?

Zeno Marx":b2rzrkx3 said:
I would think they could rip through briar at a pretty nice clip. Would also explain the laser-like etching because it could all be done at the same time as identical "carving".
You would be amazed how many " custom " made knives are manufactured by either a lathe ( computer programmed ) or CNC machine and sell for over $1,000.00, and there is a waiting list. Two knife manufacturers as an example:Grimsmo knives, all made on a CNC and you will not find one for under $600.00. For additional custom anodizing on titanium handle scales, pivot screws and pocket clip brings you over the $1,000.00 mark. Another company is Medford knives, most of their work is done by CNC machines. However they polish and sharpen the blades FREEHAND using a machine, which takes many years to be considered a skilled knife maker.

BOTH COMPANIES MENTIONED USE THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS AVAILABLE. There is a waiting list for certain models of knives made by both companies.

Both companies post many videos on YouTube. If you have time watch a few videos and you'll be amazed. I would consider it high priced assembly line knives that are made from the best materials on the market.

So, I would venture to say if a CNC can accurately cut titanium steel it can surely cut/carve briar.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Wolfman, one of the most expensive DE razors, is all CNC. Metal. doesn't represent low quality at all, but it isn't something I associate with high quality pipes. I could be wrong in thinking that way. Not the first time I'd be wrong today.

For around a hundred bucks, I wouldn't expect it to be like a two to three hundred dollar pipe. I would hope it would compare to a lower end Savinelli or a Peterson though. And from what I've seen around on the internet, that seems to be a safe bet. I own an unfinished Sav that I paid $50 for new. I see people say on here that you can't get a good pipe for under a hundred bucks. That may be true if you are concerned with great aesthetics, which I can appreciate, but it you're just looking for a good smoking pipe that still looks pretty decent, that unfinished Sav would be a good choice...

I'm going to take a chance and buy either the squashed tomato or the bent pot in a few days. I will let you all know what I think of Dagner pipes after I get one and smoke it for a while. If it's a good pipe I'll say so, but if it's a lousy smoker I'll say that too.

Looking forward to what you think.

$100 is a lot of money if you ask me. I don't care where, or how, you're spending that kind of cash. Having said that, I'd rather spend $175 to have my expectations met. I see Blue Room Briars/Jesse ??? is making a $150-200. That one has me curious as well.

Zeno Marx":feem998w said:
Looking forward to what you think.

$100 is a lot of money if you ask me.  I don't care where, or how, you're spending that kind of cash.  Having said that, I'd rather spend $175 to have my expectations met.  I see Blue Room Briars/Jesse ??? is making a $150-200.  That one has me curious as well.
Yes, I'll agree with that. It's a lot of money to me as well. I am retired. Every dollar matters. :lol:

Simple Man

You won't go wrong with a Dagner pipe for under $120.00!! They are all good looking and from what I hear from pipe buddies they are good smokers. NOT handmade but still good quality for the price!!

Also take a look at the Savinelli 320KS Trevi pipes for $80.00 @ Smokingpipes. Just don't purchase one with that lacquer/shellac finish. Superb smokers for the price :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":br6c1ugd said:
Simple Man

You won't go wrong with a Dagner pipe for under $120.00!! They are all good looking and from what I hear from pipe buddies they are good smokers. NOT handmade but still good quality for the price!!

Also take a look at the Savinelli 320KS Trevi pipes for $80.00 @ Smokingpipes. Just don't purchase one with that lacquer/shellac finish. Superb smokers for the price :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Thanks! I just bought a 2016 Saint Nicholas 320 a few weeks ago. You're right, excellent smoker, very nice pipe! I've Carter Hall'ed the heck out of it. :lol:

Simple Man":4hdnip9u said:
Thanks! I just bought a 2016 Saint Nicholas 320 a few weeks ago. You're right, excellent smoker, very nice pipe! I've Carter Hall'ed the heck out of it.
Carter Hall is the ONLY tobacco I've ever used to break in a new briar. I notice many other pipe smokers have done the same. I still smoke CH from time to time, with about 10 years of aging it only gets better!!
Years ago CH, Captain Black Original and Amphora Original were my go to OTC blends.

You purchased yourself a good looking 320, I certainly remember looking at the same model year. I know a pipe smoker that owns SIX 320's and will eventually purchase a few more....they smoke that good due to the wide diameter of the chamber. PERFECT pipe for any flake blend :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

For what it's worth, I've been buying Dagner pipes off and on for the past 3 years or so. They're cheap, mass-produced pipes that are just handy pipes to have as travel pipes, tobacco test pipes. or whatever. They all smoke really well. I'll also say this much about that civil war smooth davil anse; I bought one when it first came out and I've got devil anse pipes from Eltang, Moonshine, maybe someone else who knows, and that little Dagner is the ONLY one that comes closest to replicating the actual one from the Hatfield-McCoy movie that kicked off the whole fad.

I also just got one from Briar Works that comes close, but Dagner came way first, and I still think it comes closest, for whatever it's worth (not much, I know).