Some Home Mixers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
Could have sworn I posted this here before but can't find it so I'm posting it now in case it proves to be of interest to any one here.

I do rather enjoy many blends as they come I must say but I also very much enjoy a wander in the forbidden zone of Home Mixing, I say home mixing because it really isn't blending with many of those I am listing as many involve existing blends in the mix.

Any way, here's the list of some mixes I have tried in the past and have been thoroughly delighted with the results.

This mix is absolutely perfect for those looking for a stout mix with a heck of a nic-hit.
Va/Per Mix #1
Gawith Hoggarth Perique - 25%
Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Brown Bogie - 50%
Gawith Hoggarth Black Cavendish - 25%

One could hardly imagine making this flake any better but it is absolutely delicious with a good helping of perique, marvellous.
Va/Per Mix #2
Gawith Hoggarth Perique - 35%
Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown Unscented - 65%

This is a delightfully sweet Va/Per mix, cannot recommend it highly enough.
Va/Per Mix #3
Gawith Hoggarth Perique - 40%
Samuel Gawith Bright Virginia - 60%

There is something very familiar about this one, can't quite put my finger on what it is but WOW, what a corker of a home mix, definitely worth a try.
Va/Per Mix #4
Samuel Gawith Brown Virginia - 50%
Gawith Hoggarth Black Cavendish - 15%

Burley isn't everyone's cup of tea quite frankly but should you enjoy Burley than you simply must try this one, a very pleasant sweet mix, most enjoyable in the late evening curled up by the fire.
Va/Per Mix #5
Samuel Gawith Burley - 35%
Samuel Gawith Bright Virginia - 40%

Very much like Mix #5 but without the sweetness, still a marvellous smoke and very suitable after luncheon.
Va/Per Mix #6
Samuel Gawith Burley - 35%
Samuel Gawith Brown Virginia - 40%

Heinous naughtiness I hear them all screaming, he dares to mess with Curly Cut, well yes I do quite frankly and if you give it a bash yourself you shall find out why, this one is nothing short of superb.
Va/Per Mix #7
Gawith Hoggarth Curly Cut Deluxe Sliced Roll - 60%
Gawith Hoggarth Perique - 40%

Ah yes, one for our Brother's wth a penchant for the Aromatic tobacco, I don't enjoy Aromatics to be truthful but this is an exception, a very very enjoyable early morning smoke this one.
Va/Per Mix #8
Gawith Hoggarth No.7 Broken Flake - 65%

Another most enjoyable sweeter home mix, the Cavendish really sets this one off, delicious after a cooked breakfast I must say.
Va/Per Mix #9
Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake - 65%
Gawith Hoggarth Perique - 15%
Gawith Hoggarth Black Cavendish - 20%

I do enjoy a nice coffee aromatic mixture from time to time but they tend to be made with pretty shoddy base tobaccos making the smoking experience less than enjoyable in the end, so I came up with a few home mixes to provide a delicious coffee aromatic with an excellent base tobacco.

I'll give you fair warning, these make a good medium/strong smoke, not for those who prefer milder Lady-N smokes!

Coffee/Chocolate Aromatic Mix #1
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz - 80%
MaClleland Mocha Black - 20%

Coffee/Chocolate Aromatic Mix #2
Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning - 80%
MaClleland Mocha Black - 20%

Coffee/Chocolate Aromatic Mix #3
Cornell & Diehl Virginia Flake - 75%
MaClleland Mocha Black - 25%

Wow, those first few mixes are pretty hot with Perique!!!

Are those components very Lakeland scented?

Just curious.........

Ozark Wizard":7k67ju4c said:
Aren't they just, I do so adore Perique.

Ozark Wizard":7k67ju4c said:
Actually no, I really do not enjoy Lakeland blends and steer well clear of them, you want find even a hint of the stuff in any of those. :)

Briar Spirit":qt6vgjyk said:
Ozark Wizard":qt6vgjyk said:
Aren't they just, I do so adore Perique.

Ozark Wizard":qt6vgjyk said:
Actually no, I really do not enjoy Lakeland blends and steer well clear of them, you want find even a hint of the stuff in any of those. :)

That surprises me Kirk. To date, all of the GH stuff I've had (which admittedly isn't that much) has the dreaded "L" factor more or less. Even the supposedly unscented ones.

Perhaps I'm just over-sensitive to it, but there it is.

:silent:

Cheers,

RR

I really do steer well clear of the stuff Rande, those I have listed are perfectly safe. ;)

Briar Spirit":x4mqcgh8 said:
I really do steer well clear of the stuff Rande, those I have listed are perfectly safe. ;)
Right mate, but at the same time I do have to admit that GH also seems to be pretty stout in the nic dept. Also summat that I don't get on well with.

Ah well, more for you chaps.....

;)

Cheers,

RR

Sure enough Rande, some of those will really curl your toes mate, I love a good kick in the britches from Lady-N but if she's not yer friend then yeah, I'd steer well clear of them Buddy. :)

Very welcome my friend, oh and be sure and let me know what you think if you try any of them Chris. :)

I like to dabble with home mixing myself. Your recipes look delicious. Going to try some of them this week. Thanks for posting them. :)

AJ

Oooooooh, you are in for some real treats there AJ, believe it or not one of my fav's out of the lot, and they're all top notch in my books is the Va/Per Mix #2, so simple it would beggar belief the resulting smoke.

Would love to learn how you get on with some of them, they're all best left to rest for a couple of months of course but they smoke well enough straight after mixing, corrr, do I wish I could be sat beside you when you try them so I can see that smile spread across your face, they're so yummy. :)

Hmmm, are G&H or SG mixing baccys even available in the US? Don't ever recall seeing them.

DrumsAndBeer":7iqxgqwy said:
Hmmm, are G&H or SG mixing baccys even available in the US? Don't ever recall seeing them.
I really don't know for sure, I only know of a few US retailers, alas none of those I know of carry them. Pipes & Cigars do a fair range of blending tobaccos, perhaps suitable substitutes could be acquired.

Very good of you to share these recipes Briar Spirit!

Thank you sir.

:cheers:

RobJ":pbvh9dg0 said:
Very good of you to share these recipes Briar Spirit!

Thank you sir.

:cheers:
Caring and sharing Buddy, makes the world a nicer place eh. :)

I tried Kirk's # 8 VaPer recipe today using GH # 7 Broken Flake but had to use C&D Perique. I don't know if there is any difference between GH Perique and C&D's. The Perique was a good addition as it complimented the vanilla and other toppings. Overall I'd say it was a great tasting blend. Having trouble finding some of the other components in the other recipes here in the States. :)

AJ