Some Hope for the Next Generation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
You may be aware I'm a graduate student at a small college in New York state--if not, you probably guessed because of the incredibly pretentious way I write. Typically I don't get het up about campus politics--I live far off-campus, and I've mellowed out a bit since undergrad.

However, of late, there's been a campus crackdown on smoking, led by a vocal minority of Antis. Bear in mind, the existing rules for permissible smoking are already strict: nowhere indoors, and at least 25 feet from the entrance of any building (even further if it's the only entrance.) Apparently, that's not enough for the bluenoses, who are still "disturbed" by the large clusters of smokers who predictably gather after classes and events at the 25' DMZ. A terse email from the school literally asked smokers to "be aware" of which way the wind was blowing, and adjust accordingly. Apparently, we must now carry a weather balloon with our lighters to meet the needs of the few.

But this week, the campus paper ran a heartening student opinion piece in defense of smoking. I quote:
I'm sending a succinct message to all those pink-lunged academics: grow a little backbone. So you have to teeter to your psychology lecture through a billowy haze? This is America, a country birthed sturdy from the roots of the majestic tobacco, a plant that swayed with pride alongside Betsy Ross' patriotic cotton.

If you want regulation, raise some white masts and sail to Singapore.
Rumble, young man, rumble! If there's hope on "the most liberal campus in America," there's hope anywhere.

I say that is hope for sure and it ain't the kind being promised to us by a certain few candidates at this particular moment. Great timing Doc to sharre this with us!
Thanks!

Back in my college days, the 70's, tobacco companies came to campus and passed out packs of their brands.

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In California,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Really,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,