Some Peterson pipe history

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not received the 2 replacements yet but the Aldo POTY I got back in Dec is great. Smokes well and is a good looking pipe. Let you know on the others soon as I get them.

Have not received the 2 replacements yet but the Aldo POTY I got back in Dec is great. Smokes well and is a good looking pipe. Let you know on the others soon as I get them.
I ordered a billiard and a bent Rhodesian. I called and asked one of the guys there if they had many fills in them and he said they were not bad, but they did have some small ones here and there. He said that the weren't rejects or seconds, just a closeout. The prices are around what you'd pay for a Dr. Grabow pipe.

I ordered a billiard and a bent Rhodesian. I called and asked one of the guys there if they had many fills in them and he said they were not bad, but they did have some small ones here and there. He said that the weren't rejects or seconds, just a closeout. The prices are around what you'd pay for a Dr. Grabow pipe.
For less than $40 apiece, I think they will be good smokers and if not you're not out that much. The one that I got earlier was a hundred dollar pipe but it smokes great.

Got both pipes yesterday. Thought I had ordered a poker and a rhodesian but what showed up was a smooth poker and a rusticated pot/apple? Must have changed my mind at the last minute. Was looking at 4 or 5 different pipes so could have just ordered the wrong one. However, smoked both this morning and they both smoke well. Much better than the Pete I sent back. Got two pipes and a tin of Rattrays Jocks mixture in exchange so I am a happy camper. Hope yours smoke as well.

I didn't know which Peterson thread I should use, and this could be a regional/personal thing.

I cannot believe the prices and demand for Peterson meerschaums. They were considered junk by my mentoring crowd and in our region. There was a shop in Champaign/Urbana, IL that must've had a dozen used ones. He couldn't give them away, and I don't know why he kept accepting them in trades. It was the same down south, where we regularly ran into them at flea markets and at swaps for $15...with no takers. And I knew a few Peterson fanatics. They wouldn't touch them with their pretentious fingers. To see them bumping near the $200 ceiling is mindboggling to me. I can't remember if I ever owned one or smoked one. I'm not saying they're bad pipes. I just can't believe how they've gone from rags to riches. *however, I will say this: they are a heavy pipe. African meerschaum is a heavy thing. I might be mistaken, but I don't remember any of them being light pipes.

I've got half a dozen Pete meers and am astounded how much they're going for now. They smoke just as good as any other Pete or meer I have so I don't understand the historical disdain. They don't seem to be too heavy for me but then again the biggest Pete meer I have is 3/4 bent which helps with that factor.

I didn't know which Peterson thread I should use, and this could be a regional/personal thing.

I cannot believe the prices and demand for Peterson meerschaums. They were considered junk by my mentoring crowd and in our region. There was a shop in Champaign/Urbana, IL that must've had a dozen used ones. He couldn't give them away, and I don't know why he kept accepting them in trades. It was the same down south, where we regularly ran into them at flea markets and at swaps for $15...with no takers. And I knew a few Peterson fanatics. They wouldn't touch them with their pretentious fingers. To see them bumping near the $200 ceiling is mindboggling to me. I can't remember if I ever owned one or smoked one. I'm not saying they're bad pipes. I just can't believe how they've gone from rags to riches. *however, I will say this: they are a heavy pipe. African meerschaum is a heavy thing. I might be mistaken, but I don't remember any of them being light pipes.
I do believe I've visited that shop in Champagne/Urbana!!! My FAA job sometimes took me to that area for various inspections.
I own one Pete Meer...a bent bulldog/author shape in the rough red/black finish & P-lip. Smokes OK, but yes, it's heavier than comparable Turkish block Meers. Have no idea why the darn things are priced so high nor do I understand why someone would pay such a price??? JMHO...FTRPLT