Some Recent Morta Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Morta pipes have received a lot of attention recently, and for good reason.

It is a fantastic experience to hold something in your hand that you know was alive 4 to 6 thousand years ago!  Also, Morta is lighter than Briar and tends to smoke dry.  It is a wonderful material for pipe making.

For any who don't know, Morta, or Bog Oak, is Oak that has been soaking anaerobically in a peat bog for several thousand years and is in the first stages of fossilization.  The Oak takes on the black color of the bog mud.  The older the Morta is the more completely black it becomes.

Here are some of my recent Morta pipes that I am particularly proud of:

Celtic Morta Dublin:
142040.jpg

A couple of Morta Canadians:
173956.jpg

225618.jpg

And a fat Morta Author with Sterling Silver and Ivory:
193420.jpg

Todd

Love my Celtic Morta Dublin and can't wait to get the Author!

Great working with you, Todd -- and thanks for posting!  :) 

Very nice job on all those, Todd. I love those classic shapes!

That long Canadian is mine and it is one of my best pipes, I have 2 Becker Mortas and Todd's surpasses them, I really am enjoying his pipe,

876D25F2-2E49-43D9-8A73-DF26ECCED893-12068-00001B0E60418E69_zps20e6919f.jpg
[/img] The day I got it I smoked it on my old porch.

That Arthur is a an awesome looking pipe. Nice work on them all.

cajun":ftgggbld said:
That long Canadian is mine and it is one of my best pipes, I have 2 Becker Mortas and Todd's surpasses them, I really am enjoying his pipe,
I now have pipe envy. :shock: 

Love those Canadians....those morta pipes are stunning.  Todd strikes again.

I really like the paneled one! I probably wouldn't like that stem material on any other pipe, but I think it really works here.

I've got two ta Harris pipes... one is a mini Dub Morta with both nosewarmer and warden stems, a sweet performer...and the other is an Oom Paul that smokes so perfectly it always vies for the top spot in my rotation.

Anyone that owns a taHarris pipe is lucky indeed!

Love those Canadians, which is why I have so many. I only just noticed morta pipes a short time ago. What is the deal with them, and why are they considered especially desirable?

ExcessEnergy":bmghf580 said:
Love those Canadians, which is why I have so many.  I only just noticed morta pipes a short time ago.  What is the deal with them, and why are they considered especially desirable?
Morta is Oak that has been soaking in a peat bog for several thousand years and has begun the process of fossilization. The tannins in the bog have been adsorbed into the wood turning it black. The longer the wood has soaked in the bog the more black it becomes. After about 4,000 years the wood is completely black.

Morta (or Bog Oak) tends to be lighter than Briar, smoke dry and imparts little to no flavor to the tobacco.

But, honestly the best thing about Morta is knowing that you are smoking from a piece of a tree that lived so long ago.

Todd