Some TAD reported in Blighty

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Well, my stock of Germain's Rich Dark Flake was getting a little low so I figured it was time for a replen. As is the way with TAD, I thought whilst I'm at it I'll should also order something else so went for a new blend for me; Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake... we'll see how it goes.

:D

Nice! It must be wonderful to run out of a Germain product and just...order more. :lol!:

Aye lad, that Germain's RDF is the bees knees innit! Nobbut just had some of that meself t'other night. Right nice it was an' all!

Be interested to get your take of the Scottish cake in due course.

Cheers,

RR

I enjoy the Scottish Cake myself. Of course, I would be more pleased with the RDF. I think I have two flakes left.

G’day Stick, please post your impressions on the Scottish cake, been eyeing that blend for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger so your comments may just tip the scale.

Cheers

Tim

Timbo":hxnjctl1 said:
G’day Stick, please post your impressions on the Scottish cake, been eyeing that blend for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger so your comments may just tip the scale.

Cheers

Tim
Will do Tim!

Baccy arrived today and is now labelled and jarred up.

The RDF arrived just in the nick of time as I was almost down to my last bowl. It came as no surprise; long thin, dark (duh) flakes (duh) with a fantastically rich (duh) smell. Not entirely sure whether I should be eating it or smoking it.

The Scottish Cake has been a nice surprise. I've read several reviews that have said it was very wet out of the tin. This hasn't been my experience, in fact I'd say it's at a perfect moisture level; when squeezed it clumps up nicely but then gradually falls apart when you let it go. Just how I like it. To me it has a tangy ketchupy smell, fruity and grassy. Very much looking forward to sticking this in my pipe and smoking it. Until the weekend...

Cheers Stick, looking forward to it. Hmmmm ketchup you say? I wonder how close to the good ol McC ketchup it is?

Thanks

Tim

Today being the weekend I gave the Scottish Cake a run out.

I don't profess to have as highly a developed palate as many of the fellows on the BoB but overall it was a pleasing smoke. I didn't find that the fruity, tangy tin note continued through to the smoke as much as I thought it might, but the grassy, earthy Vas shone through. The perique was very evident too, providing a figgy pepperiness that I very much enjoy. The Va and per were nicely balanced.

Contrary to others' experiences that I've read in reviews I didn't need to dry the baccy and it didn't create any moisture either. Following a few charring lights lots of creamy white smoke ensued and a couple of relights were needed to see me through to the end of the bowl.

All in all, a jolly fine smoke that I'd place firmly in the VaPer hangar, providing a nice alternative to blends like Sammy G's SJF. Yup, I like it.

Stick":8gewxxpc said:
I don't profess to have as highly a developed palate as many of the fellows on the BoB...
Yet, that was one very vivid and borderline artistic description that made me desperately want to sample a blend I’ve never even thought twice about! ;)
You’re the man! Glad you enjoyed your haul!

Zach

Thanks Stick, that does sound delicious indeed, might have to bag some in my next order you enabler you. :)

Cheers

Tim