Some thoughts on Dunhill tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
I first tried a dunhill tobacco blend back in 1969, having picked up a tin of 965 at the dunhill store in Hong Kong while on R&R . I recall how it stank when I opened the tin, not at all like the aroma I was used to from the Granger I was smoking! Made me wonder just what I had bought!! I smoked the tin and began to like the qualities of it more and more so decied to try some of their other blend/mixtures when I got back state side in 1970. I went through more 965, Elizabethan, EMP, Three Year Matured, Royal Yacht ( this one REALLY stank!) and even got around to Durbar as well. I found them all to be EXCELLENT blends, each different  but some fine 'baccy even if they ALL had that distinctive stink to them! Then they moved tin production from Jermyn St, to McConnell and things changed a bit. The distinctive smell was gone when one opened the tin and the flavors in some ways had mellowed. By 1981 when production was moved to Murrays in Ireland, more changes were evident though the overall "feeling" of the blends was similar as in the past. I was smoking more of BS 759 by this time, with only an occasional tin of 965 and Royal Yacht which still met with my approval then. Having now tried and liking the new iterations of these blends as made in Denmark by Orlik/STG I have to say that yes things have changed but one STILL gets the essence of the "old dtuff" and they have maintained the quality standards that were always part of the old blends made 40 years ago. The old dunhill blends were produced with different leaf that was aged BEFORE being blended, hence the "stink" and to expect things to be the same as it was today as 40 years ago is not realistic. Tobacco firms don't do things this way today and probably won't again. So I say just take the "new" stuff for what it IS, a quality, unique tasting smoke and enjoy the time one lives in NOW!! That's what we did years ago and I'm still doing today !! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Agreed!

As linear beings, it would be illogical to assume that anything would remain static (the same). Much has changed since the original blends were created, so it is with our impressions......

I agree that the Dunhill made today are different, but yes, there is still the spirit and taste of what they used to be. I think Orlik has made a fantastic job with the Dunhill tobaccos and consistently and insistently stash up on Durbar, EM, LM, Nightcap, Navy Rolls, EMP, RY, TYM, RR, 965, DF, Apéritif, BB and Nightcap. :cheers:

Instead of bitching on how they were so much better in the good Ol' days, people should just be happy we can still smoke Dunhill tobaccos, and just smoke them.

Interesting musings Michael and a fair point from Guyox.

It's more comfortable for us to assume that change will always be for the worse and perhaps it's unrealistic to compare things from the good ol' days to our current paradigms. With newer more cost effective production things will be, well, different; but not necessarily worse. I think your last line sums up this up wonderfully Michael.

Not wanting to derail your thread, but seizing the moment with someone who clearly knows their Dunhill baccy, what would you recommend for someone like me who enjoys Vas, Vapers and generally sweeter blends? I must add I prefer a mild blend and don't like a Vit N power house.

You may find The Aperitif to your liking. I never got on well with Dunhill blends in the past but on a whim bought a tin of this blend and bit by bit found myself quite enjoying it, it's now a regular smoke for me. It has a nice low level sweetness to it that I find rewarding and the N is medium at most for me. Another plus is the Mrs. likes the room note. Very good stuff imo.

Stick,
As I'm not much of a true VaPer sort of guy, prefering straight ginny weed mostly, I have found the new version of Dunhill's Three Year Matured to be a really fine all around blend/mixture that has the sweetness/citrussy of younger Va's with the fuller body and smoothness of the matured varieties in this blend/mixture. The nic level is what I would call on the low side and overall it is a very smooth enjoyable all day sort of ginny weed !! :twisted:  I'm liking it more and more and will always keep a tin opened to smoke!! :twisted:

David mate, I really enjoy Dunny Flake for a Straight 'ginny, and the Deluxe Navy Rolls for a VaPer. Although the Rolls have the Perique toned down a bit. Still it's a fine bowl. Depends on how much p-weed you enjoy. 

The Flake is easy going, and thoroughly enjoyable if you like your 'baccy mild-med. Which is where I'm at right now.

Back many years ago London Mixture was my go-to. Alas I'm pretty much off Lat blends at the moment. But do remember it fondly. In fact I brought a tin of it to the UK on my '01 hol. Taking coals to Newcastle, that I was!

:D 

Cheers,

RR

Hate to say this, but I think that EMP is my current favorite of the Dunhill Blends.
Although 965 is a nice change of pace too, on occasion.

(Yes, i've been getting more and more distant from the regular dose of Aro's that I used to smoke almost exclusively. They'll never be gone from regular rotation, just present in a smaller percentage)

monbla256":b2akej7k said:
As I'm not much of a true VaPer sort of guy, prefering straight ginny weed mostly.
Hey Michael - speaking of VA's (and you know I like Aro's and VA blends as well), do you still smoke an occasional bowl of Dan Tobacco's Milonga?

I remember you saying that it was THE blend that renewed your faith in Aromatics. :lol:

Thanks chaps. That's exactly what i was after. The 3 year matured sounds like an easy going all dayer Michael, and the Flake sounds right up my street too. As you may remember Rande, I do rather enjoy the prep involved with a flake. The navy rolls appeal too as they don't sound to P heavy and seem comparable to St James Flake, my current go to.

Well, that's my next round of TAD sorted!

Stick":5v3x7olr said:
Thanks chaps. That's exactly what i was after. The 3 year matured sounds like an easy going all dayer Michael, and the Flake sounds right up my street too. As you may remember Rande, I do rather enjoy the prep involved with a flake. The navy rolls appeal too as they don't sound to P heavy and seem comparable to St James Flake, my current go to.

Only too happy to help mate.

btw, you're up a bit late no? Must be 0300 in Blightly right now. Or are you just up early?

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Rob_In_MO":zyn2q66q said:
monbla256":zyn2q66q said:
As I'm not much of a true VaPer sort of guy, prefering straight ginny weed mostly.
Hey Michael - speaking of VA's (and you know I like Aro's and VA blends as well), do you still smoke an occasional bowl of Dan Tobacco's Milonga?

I remember you saying that it was THE blend that renewed your faith in Aromatics.   :lol:
I've got about a bowls worth left in a tin and am gonna have to get another!! I save it for when friends are over and find it works well in company (as well as being a good smoke in itself :twisted: )

Brewdude":693or368 said:
Stick":693or368 said:

Only too happy to help mate.

btw, you're up a bit late no? Must be 0300 in Blightly right now. Or are you just up early?

:shock:

Cheers,

RR
Good spot mate. Yes, struggling to sleep tonight. Woke up at about 0130 and my mind got active. I hate it as I know I'll pay for it later. So I thought I'd check in with the chaps across the pond.
However,with that Rande, it's time I tried to get some more shut eye.
Night all...!

Put me on the "I still like DH tobaccos" list. Started with them back in the 60's; still have a "whole slew" of them today (mostly the old stuff, but a few tins of the more current blends. I stick with the Latweeds mostly, but do love Elizabethan and Light Flake. The old, no longer-produced Standard Full was one of my prime 'baccys for a long time. Other than the Light Flake (I have none of the newer "Flake"), I've never gravitated to DH's other ginnyweeds; nor do I care for 965, RY, Aperitif, etc. AS for the "does it taste like it did 50 years ago business," how the hell would I know!!! I'm not sure what I had for lunch yesterday, much less what a given tobak smoked like a half-century ago :p :p I do know I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now, that plain and simple!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I like Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls and Dunhill Flake but Dunhill Durbar is the blend that I measure all other Lat. blends by. Without a doubt it's the best Lat. blend on the planet. JMHO. Of course YOMV. :)

AJ

The new Three Year Matured is much better than my memories of the old one, which I didn't care for.

My first experience in smoking Dunhill tobaccos was in 1970 and what a revelation. It opened up a whole new world of leaf for me and to this day can still recall the flavors and aromas of those blends. London Mixture is still my favorite but recently I ordered a couple tins of the new Baby's Bottom. Oh man, it was like going back 45 years in time. Today's Dunhill blends may have changed manufacturers over the years, but with some age on them they will be darn close to the originals from the 1970's IMO.