Some thoughts on Dunhill tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting topic ranging from how tobacco has changed and how some think the quality is less and others think it to be the same or even better. Let me say that I have had a hand in the tobacco business, growing and handling, since I was a child. I agree that it has changed to a large degree and that the search for quality leaf is has become a task. I believe that the best leaf is purchased for pipe tobacco and cigars or at least by quality producers of both. I have been smoking a pipe for 27 years and my taste have changed as well. For years i Shunned anything that did not come in a red tin and was not called Velvet. My first attempt with Dunhill was Elizabethan and my thought was what the hell is this crap! As the years progressed I began to smoke higher dollar tobacco and a great variety of them. I have jarred in my cellar at this time over 150 different blends. Among them are all the Dunhill blends currently available in the states. I smoke them on a regular basis and i find them all to be fine tobaccos. Matter of fact they are in my tops list. Now as far as the stink of tobacco, if the tobacco was just brought in and not cured properly, be that air cure, fire cure or steam I can tell you that it would have a reeking stench that no human could smoke. Not only that but the nicotine content would be enough to kill off more than a few good men. While quality may not be the same overall I can assure that the leaf in Dunhill is properly processed. And yes I still enjoy a bowl of Velvet now and again and I also enjoy the hell out of it as well. Smoke em all as long as you can get em!

Dix,
I like your reply and expertise on tobacco knowledge. And myself being a puffer that enjoys almost any pipe blend at different times during the year can relate to enjoying a good burley as well as some of the English blends. Cheers.

I have several tins of EMP, 965 and Aperitif on hand. Mostly Aperitif. It's one of my favorites.

wsblevins,
First of all welcome to BoB there's a great group of guys/gals here and I believe you will enjoy your visits to the site. Nice carved meer you are smoking by the way.
As for Dunhill blends, I haven't smoked Aperitif in quite a while, it's time to revisit the blend. If I can recall is a very nice oriental forward blend which is magnificent. Time to dig out some of the older Murrays made Aperitif and give it a whirl.
Andy

docwatson":s1mz1fyk said:
wsblevins,
Time to dig out some of the older Murrays made Aperitif and give it a whirl.
What I like is the fact that other than what age provides, there is no discernible difference in Murray's production an Orlik's.

wsblevins":f59kkshk said:
docwatson":f59kkshk said:
wsblevins,
Time to dig out some of the older Murrays made Aperitif and give it a whirl.
What I like is the fact that other than what age provides, there is no discernible difference in Murray's production an Orlik's.
If that's the case, I may have to replenish my dwindling stock with some new Orlik made Aperitif. Thanks for your input.