Some thoughts on the new Three Year Matured

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
To start with, let me address all the folks who'll jump in with "... the new iterations are NOT what they used to be" You are right, but NONE of the iterations of he Dunhill blends have NEVER been the same! I started smoking dunhill blend/mixtures back in '71 when they were still blended by dunhill in London, then McConnel began doing the blending and things changed a bit, then in '81 Murray took over and things changed AGAIN and now the old dunhill is no longer in the tobacco business but rather it's now a brand Dunhill blended by STG/Orlik. For those who want to experience what us older smokers were able to, you need a time machine as you will not be able to !! :twisted:
Now on to my thoughts on this new iteration of a blend/mixture which goes back to the early '20s in the Dunhill marque, Three Year Matured. It was one of the first all Va blend/mixtures I smoked back in '72 as I recall and found it nice but I didn't like the flavoring it had at that time. Move forward 40+ years and I decided to give it another try and I'm VERY GLAD I did !! It's not at all like I recall what I smoked back then. It's now a lovely aged straight Va blend that is smooth, cool burning and could definitely be an all day Va . Here's what the blenders description is about it :  " Three Year Matured is a medium blend consisting of red (and other) Virginias, a pinch of Oriental leaf, and a very, very subtle fruit essence, leaving the flavors of the tobaccos themselves clear and intact for some " The Virginias take the lead in this blend with the Oriental just occasionally adding a little spice at times and as far as a "subtle fruit essence" it's really only barely there when you first open the tin in the tin araoma but NOT any in the flavor when smoked! When opening the tin, you get a nice mixture of the "fruit essence". light, very light, but mostly a nice mixture of red and bright Virginias aromas. It is a nice medium brown with some golden shreds from the bright Va's and is in the VERY packable characteristic Dunhill fine cut which loads well, lights easily and burns evenly thru the whole bowl. I have not been able to get this one to bite no matter how hard I smoke it, but as with ALL Va's. sipping gives the best flavors all around !! I've now added this fine Virginia to my stable of daily smokes and I will heartily recommend it to ALL confirmed Va smokers !! (all of the above is an OPINION and has no basis in fact :twisted: :twisted: )

I recently bought 5 tins of 3YM. I think Orlik has done a really good job with the Duhill line, so far.

As I've posted before, I like it better than the old version. It's quite good.

I'll give it a try in due course. The last iteration I've had was the Murray's production iirc and while interesting, it had a pronounced flavor of grape soda. Very fruity.

I could handle this if I was an aro smoker, but found it a bit too strident for me. I'll look forward to the new release from STG/Orlik.

Cheers,

RR

Just to put into perspective how long ago 1972 was, here is a pic from that era. :)

Ah, Tricky Dick !! What a man!! :twisted: :twisted: This was 1972

monbla256":7mvy3x2z said:
Ah, Tricky Dick !! What a man!! :twisted: :twisted:
 Be careful. Somebody might use that as a name for a pipe tobacco. :face: