Someone broke into my house tonight.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy story, man!

Glad it all worked out in the end...gives me the heebie-jeebies...

LL":xvxz7eep said:
monbla256":xvxz7eep said:
Given all the circumstances of this event in your house, you are to be COMENDED for your INTELEGENT and REASONED reaction to it all !! Especially in the "shoot first and figure it out later" mood so many folks have in this country now !! That was quite an evening you and your family had!! Wish more folks had the pressence of mind as you !
You are trying to retrofit your values / worldview on a situation that only by LUCK didn't involve someone getting hurt.

How many deliberate home break-ins are committed by people with criminal intent compared to zoned-out harmless people, do you think?  

It would take access to data that civilians don't have as well as depend on the city/neighborhood, of course, but I think it is safe to say that accidents (if indeed that's what this case was---JD is the size of a pro wrestler, drives a cement truck, and works out regularly, and HE couldn't pop the door) are significantly outnumbered by home invasions with criminal intent.

Meaning?  Unless you're feeling damn lucky, the correct response to a middle-of-the-night forced break in is to assume the worst.  i.e. shoot first and ask questions later.  Especially if you have a family.
I'm not sure I understand where you're headed with this one. You say that luck prevented anyone from getting hurt and seemed to infer that this is a good thing. Yet later in your post you say the correct course of action is to shoot first and then ask questions? And 'correct' according to whom? Was PD lucky, or did his intuition / life experience / emotional intelligence lead to him decide, albeit in the moment, to take a non aggressive stance? Surely the fact that no one got hurt is a good thing and the best possible outcome?

whats done is done. someone was looking out for PD and for this "girl" all the same. we all protect our families and homes with our own ideas of security. I have a dog who barks his head off when some walks by, until given his command to stop. we do things like this to help us sleep at night.
I thoroughly dislike people (not pipe people)

I cant believe someone hasn't said one bad bill cosby joke, even though this is not a joking matter :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pq4-dcHa6UY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

8)

Stick":ak85px0s said:
LL":ak85px0s said:
monbla256":ak85px0s said:
Given all the circumstances of this event in your house, you are to be COMENDED for your INTELEGENT and REASONED reaction to it all !! Especially in the "shoot first and figure it out later" mood so many folks have in this country now !! That was quite an evening you and your family had!! Wish more folks had the pressence of mind as you !
You are trying to retrofit your values / worldview on a situation that only by LUCK didn't involve someone getting hurt.

How many deliberate home break-ins are committed by people with criminal intent compared to zoned-out harmless people, do you think?  

It would take access to data that civilians don't have as well as depend on the city/neighborhood, of course, but I think it is safe to say that accidents (if indeed that's what this case was---JD is the size of a pro wrestler, drives a cement truck, and works out regularly, and HE couldn't pop the door) are significantly outnumbered by home invasions with criminal intent.

Meaning?  Unless you're feeling damn lucky, the correct response to a middle-of-the-night forced break in is to assume the worst.  i.e. shoot first and ask questions later.  Especially if you have a family.
I'm not sure I understand where you're headed with this one.  You say that luck prevented anyone from getting hurt and seemed to infer that this is a good thing.  Yet later in your post you say the correct course of action is to shoot first and then ask questions?  And 'correct' according to whom?  Was PD lucky, or did his intuition / life experience / emotional intelligence lead to him decide, albeit in the moment, to take a non aggressive stance?  Surely the fact that no one got hurt is a good thing and the best possible outcome?
He's just mouthing the "real Amurican Way" that so many folks espouse over here and we are paying the price society wise all around. Onward thru The Fog !! :twisted: :twisted:

Simple Man":0ngoy8nd said:
Hmmmm, interesting thread... glad you and yours are ok, PD.

The deadbolts on my doors are there for the burglars protection as they are for mine.
^^^^^ THIS!!!!

You come through my door uninvited and it's going to end badly for you. I would feel really crappy for a long time if I shot someone who truly was in this girls shoes and just needed some help. But, my family means everything and I will protect them at all costs.

It's not a "hang the consequences" thing. I would think before I pulled the trigger. But I will NEVER be on the news saying "why me?". Why not me?....really?

Monbla are you actually blaming the victim for the criminals offense??

If I defend my family from someone who is criminal trespassing, who has broken and entered, (thereby setting precedence for a complete disregard for law and order) without giving them the benefit of a doubt as to what other criminal offense they intend to commit while in my home I, or others like me, are somehow in the wrong??? Because that's exactly how I read what you are saying.

puros_bran":guyvl7bu said:
Monbla are you actually blaming the victim for the criminals offense??

If I defend my family from someone who is criminal trespassing, who has broken and entered, (thereby setting precedence for a complete disregard for law and order) without giving them the benefit of a doubt as to what other criminal offense they intend to commit while in my home I, or others like me, are somehow in the wrong???    Because that's exactly how I read what you are saying.
Step back and re-read it. You might find it sounds different with some thought given.

If she was a victim of violence, her attacker couldda been right behind her.
Shouldda armed yerself.  Just in case.  ;)

:fpalm: Every situation is different. Someone busting in armed or threatening harm is one thing, finding some schmuck in the kitchen making himself a ham sandwich is another. Both are guilty of breaking and entering but are you going to shoot the intruding deli bandit after determining there's no threat? I would hope not.

The ham sandwich felt he was being threatened so he did the only thing a good ham sandwich could do.....stick to the roof of your mouth with a vengence .

mark":df17eync said:
:fpalm:  Every situation is different. Someone busting in armed or threatening harm is one thing,  finding some schmuck in the kitchen making himself a ham sandwich is another. Both are guilty of breaking and entering but are you going to shoot the intruding deli bandit after determining there's no threat? I would hope not.
McDonald's drive thru, right up the road and open 24 hours a day. When I lock my doors the kitchen is closed.

Probably not. Just like you don't shoot Uncle John because he walked over the hill while you were deer hunting. You should always look and asses the situation before you shoot. But, I think you should have the right to shoot if you need to.

+1 to Scotties post.

Being 100% serious...   Concerning 'shoot first ask questions later'.  Draw no fire drills are an absolute necessary but seldom seen procedure when training for self-defense.  
I have a friend that can draw from concealment and hit 3 different targets with a double tap in under three seconds, which is a lot harder than it looks on tv.  That's a neat trick but not useful for self defense in 99.99% of any justifiable application. Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..

scotties22":7cmwsw65 said:
Probably not.  Just like you don't shoot Uncle John because he walked over the hill while you were deer hunting.  You should always look and asses the situation before you shoot.  But, I think you should have the right to shoot if you need to.
Dammit.

The last thing we need around here is some damn woman comin' in here clarifying things and talkin' sense. Why, evverbody knows they don't know nuthin 'bout nothin.

Talk about cognitive dissonance.

This BoB place makes my head hurt.

puros_bran":7pjonx60 said:
Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..
And a presumed GIVEN when discussing the subject.

If you are properly trained in defensive firearms usage (meaning application, not just marksmanship) you already know that.

If you don't know that, you shouldn't be messin' with guns in the first place.

monbla256":6vwmcf6k said:
He's just mouthing the "real Amurican Way" that so many folks espouse over here and we are paying the price society wise all around. Onward thru The Fog !! :twisted: :twisted:
You are either 1) wholly disingenuous and knowingly pushing some agenda, 2) incapable of escaping a brainwashed / trance state of some sort, or 3) distinguishing between "greater than" and "less than" exceeds your horsepower rating.

If given the choice between two rental vehicles to cross the Sahara Desert solo, do you choose the one with a 50% chance of breaking down, or a 2% chance of breaking down?

If you answered "50%" there's no point in discussing self defense further because facts have no place in your delusional / fanciful / subjective worldview.

If you answered "2%" there's no point, either, because, well... it's obvious.

8)