Someone broke into my house tonight.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LL":3iyopzhj said:
puros_bran":3iyopzhj said:
Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..
And a presumed GIVEN when discussing the subject.  

If you are properly trained in defensive firearms usage (meaning application, not just marksmanship) you already know that.

If you don't know that, you shouldn't be messin' with guns in the first place.
You'd be surprised...

puros_bran":qs5bvq1t said:
LL":qs5bvq1t said:
puros_bran":qs5bvq1t said:
Target identification and threat assessment are moral obligations..
And a presumed GIVEN when discussing the subject.  

If you are properly trained in defensive firearms usage (meaning application, not just marksmanship) you already know that.

If you don't know that, you shouldn't be messin' with guns in the first place.
You'd be surprised...
By the way, the "you" I was referring to was the collective one.  As in, anybody who might come across the post---the "audience".  NOT you the PeeB.  You're one of the most firearms-savvy people on the board.

My apologies for not making that clear in the first place.

Lol.   I knew what you meant.   I think we all use you in refrence to a general audience  now even though it's extremely improper english.

What I meant was the stupidity television has handed down as 'sound tactics' to the untrained is ridiculously scary... And some of the blithering idiots think watching 3 war movies and buying a set of utilities qualifies them as special forces.

PD, what an evening! I'm so glad that no one got hurt and that you were able to help that woman in whatever situation she was in. I assume that the knife she had on her was for self defense, but maybe that's the optimist in me.

Considering that there was a break-in at my new home before I moved in (previous owner added some movement activated flood lights out back after the fact to increase deterrence as well as a few other security measures), I've been thinking more and more about personal home defense methods that are non-lethal if they need to be used and found some really cool stuff.

Strictly for home defense from an intruder, I think Taser is now offering some great solutions that operate and look like guns.

Check this out: http://www.taser.com/products/self-defense-products/taser-x2-defender

To me, this seems like a really effective device that you can use to warn someone then escalate if need be without using deadly force. I don't know about price comparison to consumer fire arms, but I like it. They've got cheaper options, but this one is my favorite because it allows you to warn an intruder and fire immediately if they are undeterred. If you tend to be the "shoot first" type, with this you could do that without killing anyone. Plus, it's got more than one shot and you can repeatedly paralyze them if need be once the hooks are in.

I don't doubt that some will think a device like this is insufficient. I just thought I'd share in case anyone else was curious about non-lethal options.

No affiliation or anything.

puros_bran":74vu6xnv said:
Lol.   I knew what you meant.   I think we all use you in refrence to a general audience  now even though it's extremely improper english.

What I meant was the stupidity television has handed down as 'sound tactics' to the untrained is ridiculously scary... And some of the blithering idiots think watching 3 war movies and buying a set of utilities qualifies them as special forces.
Wait, you mean watching all those Costa and Yeager videos on YouTube and buying some digital camo doesn't make a a high speed operator? So much time and money wasted!

That Taser is a great product. But, I can buy quite a few guns for the cost. Heath and I have taken a look at it before when I was seriously considering carrying concealed. The cost played into our decision to not buy one. I still haven't found a handgun to carry and still need to get my license....another topic for another day.

I still think the worst sound in the world for an intruder is the sound of my 870 being racked. And when I bought it 8 years ago I think it cost about $270 new.

Kudos to your not over-reacting PD, it could have ended horribly. I'm also impressed at your being that coherent in the middle of the night. Even if she did use the knife (or other tool) to break in, I don't believe that that merits being blown away. Also, being bare foot in a dress, not the usual bugler apparel.

Natch

Thankfully the incident has been resolved without any bloodshed, and your family is safe. I also use a block at the bottom of the sliding door for locking. Scary situation to say the least. What a thread to be reading first thing in the morning, it's an eye opener. :shock:

docwatson":8nvksqmn said:
Thankfully the incident has been resolved without any bloodshed, and your family is safe. I also use a block at the bottom of the sliding door for locking. Scary situation to say the least. What a thread to be reading first thing in the morning, it's an eye opener. :shock:
I was going to mention this. Sliding glass doors are the worst for security. I would secure that door better, a wooden dowel in the bottom would be more effective that the lock which you found out. My wife would like to have a Sliding Glass door where our French doors are now. It won't happen the French doors have a dead bolt and if someone wants to break the glass then they can do that or any window as well. Fortunately we really don't have to worry about crime where I live. I have motion lights, etc., but I have often thought of a security system of some sort. Having a security system can help lower insurance and some organizations offer breaks in price of security system subscriptions.

Wow, glad things turned out well for you PD. I hope the lady is ok.

Our sliders have an additional lock installed. I thought it was the intelegent thing to due.

The most recognized sound in the world is the sound of someone chambering a round in a pump shotgun. If someone breaks into my house and doesn't immediately leave when I chamber a round in my Winchester 1500 then they are getting shot. My families safety is too important to me to take chances.

Glad everything turned out in a positive way for you Puff. It would be nice to know exactly what type of treatment the woman received.

Anytime a female or minor is involved in a crime, there is always the possibility that the real threat was lurking somewhere close by.

My guess is that somewhere along the way, drugs played a part in her finding your sliding glass door.

Those sliding glass doors are murder on the electric bill too, but you probably already know that.

We got the door fixed - Aluminum rod.

The girl was turned over to the hospital as a medical needs incident, the police felt she wasn't intending criminal breaking and entering but was in a confused mental state. She was visited by the PD's shift supervisor in the hospital that night and interviewed, and if there was anything bad that had happened to her that would prompt further police action, she didn't tell them about it. They dropped it and I had no right to invade her privacy further, so it all ends there. Hopefully it was just a matter of a young lady having had too much Christmas cheer and wandering into a place she thought was someplace else. Hopefully, a mostly harmless lesson learned for both of us.

Simple Man":hf7xstia said:
I just read this article and thought it was very interesting in light of all that has been discussed in this thread.
The law in dear old blighty is a little different. We do not have any legal handgun ownership by the public, although shotguns and hunting rifles are fairly common amongst the 'country set' and rural types who can show a need for them.

The law used to require that one only used 'reasonable force' to defend oneself. However, this has been clarified to allow the use of disproportionate but not grossly disproportionate force.

So remember to think through the possible ramifications of your actions when awoken by a burglar at 3am. I know my head is clear as a summers day and I would be able to use just the right level of legally sanctions force. :roll:

Feazelle-n-it":hl4jpj12 said:
That seems a little suspicious. But then again I'm a skeptic. My sister and brother in law are police officers and I hear all the horror stories. Anyone who breaks into my house is getting a warning to leave or the business end of a shotgun.
serious..  you are ready to do that? (you will need deep pockets)

old guy next door had  Alzheimer's and would occasionally wonder over and would sometimes come confused wondering where his wife was.  

I'm also confused as to how a woman in that condition could force open a door. when you in broad daylight in good condition couldn't do it? usually robbers don't wander around beatup and confused. more likely someone after messing her up dumped her.

of course YMMV

Puff Daddy":kslpdg4i said:
Strange thing, when it was over and the police were leaving, I asked for an incident report number. Got a big sigh and a pause, like they didn't want to give it to me.
Cops around here like to have incidents without paperwork or that generate statistics. They encourage people not to report most break-ins and muggings.