Something New??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Well gang. Here's the quandry. I am finding I reach less and less for english blends with this wramer weather. And, for some reason, I don't like english blends in the morning... but I miss my enlgish blends to mix in with all the VA blends I am smoking right now ( FVF, HOTW, Ol Gawrie, Nay Flake,haunted Bookshop).

So...anyone have a suggestion for me? Maybe a full flavored english that is light bodied? ( that statement will most likely make sense only to cigar smokers :(

A light english with real nice flavor?

Davey the Desperate

Not sure if it's light enough. But the Virginia's in it should really please you if your tastes are running that direction. Try GLP Piccadilly.

Lighter yet, but full flavored, ummm...maybe C&D Yale Mixture.

Oh, and seasonal changes are happen with many of us. Don't think it odd. I was heavy into burley blends last spring and summer. Been hot into Latakia since fall. Started mixing it up with Virginia's recently.

Davey":edavr28k said:
Well gang. Here's the quandry. I am finding I reach less and less for english blends with this wramer weather. And, for some reason, I don't like english blends in the morning... but I miss my enlgish blends to mix in with all the VA blends I am smoking right now ( FVF, HOTW, Ol Gawrie, Nay Flake,haunted Bookshop).

So...anyone have a suggestion for me? Maybe a full flavored english that is light bodied? ( that statement will most likely make sense only to cigar smokers :(

A light english with real nice flavor?

Davey the Desperate
John Middleton Walnut

LOL mark I should have seen that one coming! I sahll have ot revisit it again. ( "shall"?... I must reading too muh Sherlock again)

Carlos. Thanks. I do seem to recall when you made the switch this past year.

Picadilly I shall have to try too. It has been on my list to get. Maltese and Squadron i actually have..you just mademe feel like a real smoker Puff, thanks. I actually got some for my bday and have had them nestling away...will have to open one.

Wow...I feel like I have options, thanks guys.

Puff Daddy":7ozfnll8 said:
Picadilly, Squadron leader, Maltese Falcon :D
What's nice about these three is that the latakia is light (which seems to be the component which becomes disagreeable to many in the warmer weather) yet the flavor is nice and rich.

CAIRO!

Maybe a Balkan?

Blackpoint.

Abingdon.

Try this. A crossover. Your favorite va in your favorite English pipe.

CAIRO first.

Thnaks Puff.

TJ..thats an idea i NEVER would have thought of...and I thought I was a free thinker..

I will fire up in t-minus 45 minutes. Time to fire up the NEW chimenea.

I whole heartedly endorse C&D Yale Mixture

cd2oz.jpg

Davey,

I'm jumpin' in here late with a duplicate response but I highly recommend Maltese Falcon. Man its an amazing blend. The latikia is there in the right amount, I believe its just what your looking for.

maltese-falcon-bogart-lorre12.jpg

Davey":5bumxp0j said:
LOL mark I should have seen that one coming! I sahll have ot revisit it again. ( "shall"?... I must reading too muh Sherlock again)

Carlos. Thanks. I do seem to recall when you made the switch this past year.

Picadilly I shall have to try too. It has been on my list to get. Maltese and Squadron i actually have..you just mademe feel like a real smoker Puff, thanks. I actually got some for my bday and have had them nestling away...will have to open one.

Wow...I feel like I have options, thanks guys.
Seriously,

For your likings I would also recommend Maltese Falcon. It is one of, if not the best English that I have ever smoked. Amazing! Smooooooootthh!

Davey;

I smoke mostly light to medium English blends and VA bends. I've been through most of the Pease line up and am settling on Kensington these days. It is medium strength, but with a very good flavor. Has enough VAs to make it an English.

First of all....I don't know how ANY of you can stand to read my posts with all my friggin typ-ose ?!?( It annoys me to re-read what I said, and i am too tired to edit lately, sorry guys).

Second,
My hybrid was a hit, and very enjoyable, thanks. i will crack open some of Bogart's favorite tomorrow..I know just the pipe too ;) (Mark)

Third,
you guys are making it very tough to stay on a budget. I started pipes to HELP me not spend so much money on cigars...not working exactly as I thought... though in theory I suppose....

During the seasonal changes, I often blend & mix. Start adding some VA to your usual English blend, and change the percentages as the seasons (or your mouth) progresses. Personally, I not only enjoy OG as a great, straight (though somewhat mild) Va, it think it is hands down the best mixing Va I know of. Mixed with Arcadia, it almost duplicates Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

Unless you've got a strong aversion to burley, I'd give a couple of C&D's American-English blends a whirl. They're not as heavy as traditional English mixtures but still have plenty of latakia flavor. I'd suggest Morley's Best, Old Hollywood or Walter Franklin, as they are all excellent summer smokes (IMO, of course).