Something random

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene Adler

Reaction score
For some reason, PB's budhist monk avatar reminds me of a story my World Religion and Thought professor told me once.

I'm not a very avid story teller (in fact, I've failed nearly every English course I've ever taken since the sixth grade, how I'm going to get through college, I have no idea), but I'll give it a go because it really is worth hearing.

I once knew a young man who was highly interested in all things intellectual. We will call him Bob.

Bob loved to read the works of great philosophers and study the great religions of the world in the neverending search for the meaning of life. When his quest for answers left him only with more questions he decided to search elsewhere.

Bob sold everything he owned, save for the clothes on his back, and took off for the far East. When he got to Asia he hiked several hundred miles to the most secluded monestary, where, supposedly, the wisest of all monks held the secret to the meaning of life. Reverently, Bob approached the monk and asked, "What is the purpose of life?"

The monk replied slowly, "Life is like a river."

Bob was dumbfounded. "You mean, I came all this way for you to tell me, 'life is like a river'?"

Perplexed, the monk took a moment to contemplate what Bob had said to him.

"You mean it's not?" he responded.

That is all.

That Monk sounds like me. I'm absolutely certain of something until someone disagrees. Then I'm not so sure anymore. I once asked a wise friend of mine about the meaning of life. His reply was, "Thursday because bananas have no bones."
I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm sure he was right. :roll:

Centurian 803":xqcc079k said:
"Thursday because bananas have no bones."
I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm sure he was right. :roll:
Sounds logical to me :scratch:

That is very much how life is.........simple yet profound. We mere men are the ones that make it complicated.

Irene,

I read your post as I was enjoying a morning cup of java (industrial grade). I laughed so hard that I sprayed a mouthful of coffee all over my keyboard, computer screen, kitchen table, and I may have even got some on my dog. GREAT POST!!!

"The unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates

Yes, most probably true, as stated by the father of Western thought, but start asking too many questions, and one misses the here, the now, the magic.

(Just for the record, I always thought it was Tuesdays because of that cottonwood by the river.)

Trout Bum":pxuj2i6w said:
(Just for the record, I always thought it was Tuesdays because of that cottonwood by the river.)
You may be right. I thought I knew, but now I'm not so sure. :lol!:

Centurian 803":4b9rw975 said:
"bananas have no bones." :roll:
But wait, the thing with bananas is that by the time you skin em then throw out the bone theys nothin left. :scratch:

EJinVA":n76b6ia9 said:
Centurian 803":n76b6ia9 said:
But wait, the thing with bananas is that by the time you skin em then throw out the bone theys nothin left. :scratch:
Yeah, they're kinda like Tennessee squirrels that way. Now possums on the other hand. They got plenty of good meat on them. Yummm.

Centurian 803":9698ejds said:
EJinVA":9698ejds said:
Centurian 803":9698ejds said:
Yeah, they're kinda like Tennessee squirrels that way. Now possums on the other hand. They got plenty of good meat on them. Yummm.
Yea! but groundhogs is the best, specially when theys fatttened up fer the winter. Slap on some groundhog gravy mmmmm mmmmmm.

EJinVA":z6umwye5 said:
Centurian 803":z6umwye5 said:
EJinVA":z6umwye5 said:
Centurian 803":z6umwye5 said:
Yea! but groundhogs is the best, specially when theys fatttened up fer the winter. Slap on some groundhog gravy mmmmm mmmmmm.
You got that right. Parboil that gentleman, roll him in some seasoned flower and fry him up, then simmer him in some gravy from the drippings, add some biscuits and baked sweet taters and you got yourself the meaning of life. :drool:

Centurian 803":mw9857sx said:
EJinVA":mw9857sx said:
EJinVA":mw9857sx said:
You got that right. Parboil that gentleman, roll him in some seasoned flower and fry him up, then simmer him in some gravy from the drippings, add some biscuits and baked sweet taters and you got yourself the meaning of life. :drool:
Well at least you brought it back around to the meaning of life! haha

Is it just me or do these threads always seem to work their way around to either smoking or eatin'? :pipe: :drool:

yep, just proves that no matter how complicated things get, all it takes is a good meal and a good smoke to make it right again.

EJinVA":wsjcpnzd said:
yep, just proves that no matter how complicated things get, all it takes is a good meal and a good smoke to make it right again.
pickled pigs feet and walnut,,,,, :pig: ,,,,, :pipe:

mark":gfdjkqeq said:
EJinVA":gfdjkqeq said:
I prefer fried chicken gizzards! :D

mark":djlzgehf said:
EJinVA":djlzgehf said:
Just got back from Jacksonville, Fl where I spent Christmas with my daughter. Went into a Stop & Rob in Tifton, Ga to get some gas and a brown dope. They had a jar of pickled eggs and a jar of pickled pigs feet on the counter. Really grossed out my wife, God Bless Her. :tongue: