Sometimes I Wonder Where The Money Goes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I know it sounds a little crazy and unnecessary, but I pay bills twice a month, usually on the 3rd and around the 18th. I never carry over a balance on a credit card. Lately, I've been thinking, "Where's the money going?" Today, I looked at the listing of charges on each account and came to the conclusion that basically I am a self indulgent S.O.B.

Ya, well you can't take it with you. Beyond a certain point, saving for a rainy day doesn't make much sense.

Cheers,

RR
Totally agree. I used to be a bit of a penny pincher but the wife and I together are quite comfortable and since I don't have kids, when we pass on they are likely to get a substantial inheritance. My thinking is we should spend whatever we want to enjoy ourselves right now. Their dad, her ex, is very well off and will also leave them a lot, so if she passes first I may just change the trust and leave it all to charity. Lol.

While my daughters were growing up, my wife and I tended to be frugal. We both wanted to retire in our 50s and have substantial investment income. (After being certain that there was a specific fund to take each daughter through college.) After my wife died and the girls were both adults, I guess the frugality was no longer important to me. I've never touched savings or "the portfolio" and have lived comfortably on interest, dividends, some V.A. comp, and Social Security since I retired. I have long term care insurance that I hope I'll never need and substantial life insurance that my daughters will eventually get. I really hope for that quiet unexpected death that comes while I'm asleep. But, I do tend to spend whatever comes in the the monthly cash drawer.

I really hope for that quiet unexpected death that comes while I'm asleep.
This may be a re-run of a past story. My aunt and uncle, every Wednesday, for years after they retired, had lunch at the Montgomery Wards cafeteria. In their 80s, they had lunch one Wednesday, and after lunch went to the men's shoe department to get my uncle some new dress shoes. The salesman measured his feet, then said he'd be a couple of minutes in the the back stockroom looking for shoes in my uncle's size. My uncle turned to my aunt and said that while they waited for the salesman, he'd take a short snooze; the large lunch had made him sleepy. When the salesman arrived with the shoes, my uncle had passed away. When my aunt told me what had happened, I struggled not to laugh. He was 84 and died with no pain, illness, hospice, etc. He died quietly, peacefully in the f-ing Monkey Wards shoe department. God rest his soul and sole.

This may be a re-run of a past story. My aunt and uncle, every Wednesday, for years after they retired, had lunch at the Montgomery Wards cafeteria. In their 80s, they had lunch one Wednesday, and after lunch went to the men's shoe department to get my uncle some new dress shoes. The salesman measured his feet, then said he'd be a couple of minutes in the the back stockroom looking for shoes in my uncle's size. My uncle turned to my aunt and said that while they waited for the salesman, he'd take a short snooze; the large lunch had made him sleepy. When the salesman arrived with the shoes, my uncle had passed away. When my aunt told me what had happened, I struggled not to laugh. He was 84 and died with no pain, illness, hospice, etc. He died quietly, peacefully in the f-ing Monkey Wards shoe department. God rest his soul and sole.
Today, I was thinking about that uncle. About a year before he died, he and my aunt decided to buy a new car. They had trouble! I think the car they wanted was an early 80s Cadillac Cimarron. The problem was my uncle was terrified of driving an automatic transmission. Every car he'd ever had was a stick shift. Ultimately, they special ordered and got the car they wanted, stick shift and no radio. I asked my aunt why no radio. Her reply: "No one listens to the radio when they are driving."

Last edited:
Hadn't thought about the Cimmaron in donkey's years.

There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes

- John Prine

How many noodle presses?
1646356366579.png

And thanks for the reminder to go downstairs and turn the cranks.

Last edited:
Today's expenses: A mold for a dental implant not covered by my dental insurance, $439.00, annual tabs for my car $197.50, the f-ing water bill $23.00 for water usage, $76 for sewer and ancillary charges.