Sore-Foot Shepherds Pie

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
This is the meal for our next backpacking trip, which will be this weekend God and weather willing.

Sore-Foot Shepherds Pie
2 pounds ground beef
1 chopped medium onion
1 16oz. package frozen peas and carrots
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
15 oz. can beef broth
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon Lee & Perrins Worcestshire sauce
6 ounces Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. (Or any instant mashed potatoes.)

Brown beef in Dutch oven. Put into strainer and rinse well under hot water. Allow to drain and put into bowl on the side. Sauté onion until just translucent, then add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add spices and stir until fragrant. Add chopped tomato. Add frozen peas and carrots. Bring to simmer and add meat. Add broth. Simmer covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and stir in tomato paste and simmer for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid is gone. Meanwhile separate out 1 ounce portions of mashed potatoes into Ziploc bags. Place meat mixture into dehydrator on high for 10-12 hours, until dry and crumbly. Place in separate Ziploc bags. (Placing potatoes and meat mixture in same bag will cause rehydration problems.) Makes 6 portions. To rehydrate add water and meat mixture to container in cozy until 1/4 inch over top of meat mixture. Cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes, or until meat mixture is tender. Add mashed potatoes and stir. let sit 5 minutes. If too dry add a little hot water. And enjoy.

This also is my own creation, though I got the idea from others recipes I saw. :)

So how long have you been dehydrating your own trail food like this, Eklektos? Seems like you've got some really good recipes. Never tried myself, but its gotta be a lot cheaper than buying prepackaged.

I haven't replied to any of these posts, but I gotta say I admire the effort that goes into this. If you've gotta eat dehydrated food, doing it yourself "gourmet style" with ingredients that you have had control over has got to be the way to go.

What's the "sore foot" refer to? Shepherds have sore feet?

Interesting recipe.