SOTD: Shave of the day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behike54

Reaction score
There are so many threads on shaving, I noticed there's no SOTD thread.

Whaaaa?

Pre: shower & Floid pre-shave oil
Brush: Commodore 3x
Soap: CRSWs "Bois Floraux"
Rzr: Merk 34C
Blade: Supermax "Tiger" Super Platinum (newest discovery of best mixture of sharpness and comfort, for ME)
Post: hot water, cold water, alum, CRSWs "Post-Shave Lotion" same scent, and like a milky balm

Blissed out!

crsw_s11.jpg

Same as everyday...

Pre shave: Hot shower
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: L'Occitaine Cade puck
Brush: Semogue 1520 Boar
Post shave: Nivea post shave balm and a smile. :D

It;s been basicaly the same for almost 40+ years:

Gillette 109 Adjustable TT razor set on #3
Schick DE blades
Williams shave soap ( now in my grandfathers glass mug )
A siver tip Badger brush (just got a new one to replace my old one I'd used for the past 40+ years.)
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Pinaud Bay rum aftershave

I only shave twice a week now that I'm retired. Makes life nice and easy  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Same as nearly every day: Braun electric razor.

No more cuts; nearly zero ingrown hairs.

Am I the only person here who uses a 'lectric?

SOTD​
PRE: Wash face, pre-shave oil​
SOAP: k Shave Work "Cure For a Belly Ache" (coconut)​
POST: warm, cold, alum, rinse, then MORE CRSW Post-Shave Lotion​
GREAT SHAVE!​
cure_f10.jpg

now I never used to shave often especially after leaving the military it was a novel idea that i no longer "had to" so spent a while looking a bit like a nutty professor.

today i invested in a new electric razor a Braun 9 series 9095cc at almost £220 it was a bit more expensive than i had imagined, but so far I'm very impressed with the quality and the very manliness of the gadgets.. it washes itself in isopropyl alcohol at the end of each shave and gets blow dried automatically while charging inside its station when the razor knows its now clean. plus at possibly most importantly its a damn good shave lol.

so far so good

kitobi":8wv0d65h said:
today i invested in a new electric razor a Braun 9 series 9095cc at almost £220 it was a bit more expensive than i had imagined, but so far I'm very impressed with the quality and the very manliness of the gadgets.. it washes itself in isopropyl alcohol at the end of each shave and gets blow dried automatically while charging inside its station when the razor knows its now clean. plus at possibly most importantly its a damn good shave lol.

so far so good
You're kidding, right?

Electric shavers have changed, evidently!

yup they have evolved a bit since I last got 1.

but yeah all true lol, the "station" accepts the shaver head down, automatically charges the unit/washes and dries the blades at the same time.

have a look online, Braun series 9 9095cc awesome piece of kit

A slight change for me. The usual hardware, but as my Cade puck has run out I grabbed a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street's sandalwood shave cream from the tobacconist in town. It's nice, producing a thick creamy lather, but I don't like it as much as the L'Occitane Cade. I've noticed I'm getting a few more tiny nicks than I usually do because my razor is occasionally jumping. Rather than having a subtle fragrance, it smells particularly soapy.

An interesting diversion, but at this moment in time it would take some convincing for me to put my hands in my sky rocket for this one again.

Blackhorse":rw3w47zd said:
I forgot to shave this morning.

ku-xlarge.jpg

My problem was I was always somewhere in-between, which was irrefutable evidence that the state of my beard was not a conscious choice!

OTOH, I shaved last night and it feels so good to wake up feeling clean shaven when you wet-shave. I mean, I was JUST-SHAVED smooth. Throw into the fire than I'm Greek and that's saying something. :bball:

SOTD.

Soap: Mama Bear Fall Leaves
Brush: Parker Black Badger
Razor: Edwin Jagger Kelvin
Blade: Astra
Aftershave: Colonel Conk Santa Fe Cedar

SOTD.

Brush: Semogue 1305 Boar
Razor: Merkur 34c
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

Gillette red tip D4 1958 razor *half the plating is gone gone gone
Astra blade
Razorock Essential Oils of Lime soap
Maggard purple marble synthetic
Vitabath Plus lotion

I have more expensive razors, soaps, and brush. They're different, but they aren't any better than what I used today. I'm consistently impressed with the Red Tip razor and lime Razorock soap. You used to be able to buy the lime soap for $10ppd on ebay. 5oz. $2/oz. That's a deal.

SOTD:

Brush: Parker Silvertip Badger Brush w/ Petrified Wood handle
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless
Soap: Mitchell Wool Fat
Aftershave: Old Spice classic

Jeez! I was out in the back forty this morning with Watson, my “watch Pug” and a huge Steller’s Jay swooped and pooped...missed me by just a couple inches. (see specimen photo below) I hate those yappy little bastiges.

So...does that count as a “close shave”?

When you ponder that birds are dinosaurs...evolved...then a Steller’s Jay is absolutely a modern raptor. I’ve watched them go up and down trees from limb to limb looking for nests with baby birds to kill and eat. Hey - that’s nature, right? But I still hate ‘em for it. The best shot I ever made was on a Steller’s Jay that was in the very tip top of a Cottonwood tree down along the river. A 22 cal. single shot Crossman CO2 rifle put a pellet right through it & it fell like a stone, ultimately making a loud smack as it hit a wide flat rock. Boy, was I surprised...and pleased. Yeah, they’re beautiful...but I hate ‘em too. Dang “forest burglar alarms”.

Edit:  Check out the Microraptor. Hmmmmm

“Microraptor was a genus of small, four-winged paravian dinosaurs. Numerous well-preserved fossil specimens have been recovered from Liaoning, China. They date from the early Cretaceous Jiufotang Formation, 120 million years ago.”

I now return you to the regular programming.

Gillette Slim Adjustable from the 60s
Astra blade
Maggard purple marble synthetic
Vitabath Plus lotion
Stirling Gentleman shaving soap "A warm and masculine blend of Tobacco, Vanilla, Amber, and Musk." I get the tobacco and vanilla scents, but I also think it smells like old tyme bubble gum, especially in the bowl.