SOTD: Shave of the day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The WCS Campfire is way better than Williams. I want to love Williams, because it's cheap and smells good and seems really classic, but it is terrible. The WCS Campfire, to me, works best with a boar brush and face lather. That said, it honestly isn't as good as a lot of other soaps, later-wise. I still like it because it does smell like a campfire.

Other visitors to this thread may be interested in this:

http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=1252

Mama Bear came out with a tobacco scented soap. I like her stuff, for glycerin based soaps, so I want to try this one. It is supposedly tobacco leaf, not flower, scented.

User Richard Burley reminded me of something. I wasn't much interested in post shave products beyond a little hand lotion on the occasion I felt the shaving soap dried out my face. Good soaps don't dry out the face, and I don't have any bad soaps remaining. Post shave isn't something I've felt I needed to give any consideration.

In a trade of junk, I was given a tester of Stirling post-shave balm. It sat for months...because I didn't bother with a post shave. I finally got tired of looking at it. The stuff is fantastic. Thick. Spreads fantastically. Only need about a pea dab to do your entire face, so while $9 for 4oz might sound expensive, it probably isn't. Leaves the face feeling as soft as a baby's bottom, but it isn't greasy at all. Has a little witch hazel in it, so it also closes the pores. I didn't expect to be so impressed, but I am.

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/post-shave-balm

Sounds great. But in addition, I require an alcohol component in a post-shave product. It seems to lock away the sting of the razor. If I wash my face or sweat, the sting comes back. Weird. Balms are effective for greasing up the hide, but there is always a slight residual sting when I use them. Ergo, conventional aftershave for me.

Richard Burley":5f8i3t3q said:
Sounds great. But in addition, I require an alcohol component in a post-shave product. It seems to lock away the sting of the razor. If I wash my face or sweat, the sting comes back. Weird. Balms are effective for greasing up the hide, but there is always a slight residual sting when I use them. Ergo, conventional aftershave for me.
Have you tried witch hazel? The pure stuff, not the ones with alcohol content. They're kind of hard to find. Thayers sells a bunch of witch hazel scents, but only a couple of them are alcohol free (they say it right on the front of the bottle). I realize this is the exact opposite of what you said you prefer, but from what I understand, witch hazel is better at closing the pores and preventing that razor sting later in the day. I don't know if it burns more or less than alcohol. Seems like quite a few wet shavers swear by the cucumber Thayers.

Shower
Above the Tie R1
Gillette Silver Blue razor
Razorock Bruce synthetic brush
Wholly Kay King of Oud
Thayers Rose
Nivea Post Shave Balm for sensitive skin

I only shave a couple times a week, if that. Not saying that's good or bad; it just is.  On another board I frequent someone recently resurrected an old thread about straight razors.  I have both of my grandfathers' straight razors; I don't know if they're any good, and I've never had enough courage to try one! The bottom one is kind of cool as it was made by W.R. Case & Sons and I love Case knives...

hv72vZMl.jpg

So when I do shave I like a bit of tradition, but I'm not very sophisticated about it.  Safety razor from Walgreens, badger brush from Crabtree & Evelyn from back when they sold the good stuff, Old Spice mug that I've had forever. When I heard Williams soap was being discontinued I bought what I figured would be a lifetime supply; turns out the discontinuance never happened  :roll: ...

UymFMdFl.jpg

I agree with monbla: K.I.S.S.  Nothing on the face after a shave except cold water, splash of Old Spice or some other drug store stuff below the neck.  I don't mind smelling like my dad  :D .

Shave of the Day, and pretty much every day:

Pre-shave wash: Three Butters

Brush: Maggard synthetic

Soap: Tabac cream

Blade: Astra Platinum

Razor: Above the Tie open-comb R2

Aftershave: Epsilon Blue

This razor has become quite awesome, once I learned how to control it. (I was cutting myself every time I used it, due to the more aggressive blade exposure.) One pass, that's it, not even touch-ups. No reason for a second or third pass, 'cause there ain't nothin' left to get. Hope I never get the shakes, other than nicotine induced. They make another head for this razor that's even more aggressive, but I think I'll pass. I mean, what for? :lol:

That's good to hear. I see so many people buying razors and gear that they don't like or ever use. Too much money to literally have sitting on a shelf. I don't care it if is $25, let alone what an AtT costs.

Have you tried Gillette Silver Blue blades? I've found they're as sharp as Astras, but seem to be smoother, or kinder, to the shave. Last I checked, they're 75% more costly, but they are my favorite blade now. They can take a bit of the edge off an aggressive razor. At least that is what I've found. Thank goodness for blade samplers.

Zeno Marx":6tnwmabc said:
...Have you tried Gillette Silver Blue blades?  I've found they're as sharp as Astras, but seem to be smoother, or kinder, to the shave...
No, but I will. That sounds delectable.

This morning’s shave:
Gillette NEW Open Comb circa 1932-40, Gillette Silver Blue blade, Pre de Provence shaving soap, Proraso boar’s hair brush by Omega and Canoe A/S. Hopefully I can get the pic in from my phone. If not you’ll have to use your imagination

I'm liking the razor talk that I'm seeing recently so thought I'd jump on with an update.

Current shave:

Pre shave: Hot shower
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Steet, Cocconut
Brush: Plisson synthetic
Post shave: Palmer's Cocconut butter and a smile. ;)

My usual Wednesday shave with Mitchell’s Wool Fat. It’s been around since 1893 so you know it’s good. Have a great shave, have a great day!!

This morning I went with a soap I just purchased from from West Coast Shaving. Great citrusy scenr.

Morning BoB! We’ve survived another work week. Let’s power through Friday to the weekend!!

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on that WCS Chypre. I like citrus scents, but I find they're often more mild than I hope to find.

Pre shave: face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 3
Blade: Astra SP. 4th shave
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Brush: Maggard purple marble synthetic
Post shave: Vitabath Plus lotion

Zeno. I tried the A/S before I bought the soap. I would classify it at medium. When I use it the scent lady’s most of my work day. As always, YMMV.