SOTD: Shave of the day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning BoB!! Last shave of the work week. As is my wont, it’s a Bay Rum shave. Have a good ‘un!

Didn’t get a pic of everything but I ordered a tub of Taylor’s of old bond street Sandalwood shave cream. Awesome stuff and slick as owl crap. 1939 Gillette DE razor a old made rite badger brush. Can’t remember which blade I used but it was in the razor emporium starter razor set.

I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn. I started out with the standard 3-pass process. With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG). Against the grain (ATG). I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth. Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear. Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass. The answer? A 4-pass process. WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG. Which created a new problem: shaving for 45 minutes. Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck. Not I. Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else. I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it. See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots. It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave. I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed. I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new: the 2-pass shave. WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots). It's been working surprisingly well. If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so. I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).

Zeno Marx":eg7jxrhq said:
I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn.  I started out with the standard 3-pass process.  With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG).  Against the grain (ATG).  I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth.  Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear.  Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass.  The answer?  A 4-pass process.  WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG.  Which created a new problem:  shaving for 45 minutes.  Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck.  Not I.  Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else.  I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it.  See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots.  It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave.  I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed.  I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new:  the 2-pass shave.  WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots).  It's been working surprisingly well.  If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so.  I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).
I've trod this path, Zeno, and it took me approx. 5 years to get to the point where I'm happy with the end results. My morning routine is pretty hectic with getting the kids out of the door so after a hot shower and face lather, like you I'm an ATG WTG man. Some days I'll even shorten that to ATG only, but whichever I choose it's always a short rapid buffing technique too. This leaves me a very close shave that tempts one to admire the smoothness throughout the day.

One of the tools I've been unsatisfied with is the bowl. I don't want to spend more than $5-7 on a bowl. I wish I knew how to throw clay. I'd try to make my own and fit it to a chocolate melter to keep the lather warm. Not a huge concern, but if I was going to make something of my own, I'd experiment with luxury.

I don't think you're limited to a shaving bowl. I know some of the UK guys have found textured bowls in craft stores, but I haven't found anything to my liking in nearby stores. I also know that Stirling is selling a dog bowl as a shaving bowl. It has little raised clips in the bottom so dogs won't eat too fast and get sick, and it is small for a smaller dog or for traveling. Timeless makes a bowl that seems like it would work well, but I'm not paying $12+shipping.
https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/timeless-razor-blue-plastic-shaving-bowl/

The other day, I got a take-out bowl container that is working really well. The one problem is that it retains zero heat, but I can live with that. It was free. Like one of the smaller ones here with all the ridges on the bottom.
https://www.anchorpackaging.com/brands/incredibowls-2/

I was really lazy today. I settled for a single pass, WTG shave. A long time ago I was gifted a tube of Dr.Carver's Easy Shave Butter. I tried it once and thought I'd save it for traveling rather than bringing soap, a brush, etc. I don't like this stuff. You use a lot of it. I don't like the consistency of it. It's sort of gooey and clogs up the razor. Doesn't really rinse off well. Isn't that slick at all. I felt the razor skipping a couple times. When I was rinsing off the razor, some of it wouldn't come off until I rubbed it with my fingertip. The post-shave was odd. I didn't feel dirty or like there was a layer of something on my face, but I didn't feel fresh and clean either. I'm still going to save it for when I travel, but if I was going to do this again, I'd grab the Cremo.

razor: Gillette 1963 Slim Adjustable, setting 5
blade: Astra Green, 5th shave
soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
brush: Maggards synthetic (modeled after the Kent handle)

I raced through my single-pass w/ touchups shave today. A handful of weepers, which would make one assume it was a bad shave, but no rawness and a damn smooth shave. I was surprised. Now that I've stripped it down to the single-pass method, I take my time, and this isn't my usual shave. Weepers aren't common. I had traded a weak scented smokey soap for this Stirling because I wanted a robust smokey scent. That didn't work out. Texas on Fire was known to be a strong scent, and I think I got a re-formulation where they lowered the power in response to some complaints of it being too strong. That's my guess, though. Or I just got a bad batch, because on a scale of 10, this is maybe a 4/10 in scent strength. Good soap otherwise.

Just don't get you guys with all the fancy shave paraphanalia and processes. I use Bic or whatever I pick up at the dollar store, scrape off the whiskers and move on. Lol.

I do not put a lot of time or effort into shaving,I have a good Merkur razor, A tube of Proraso and a good natural Badger brush. All I use is the Russian Astra blades that I buy in bulk packs of 100. Clubman lilac vegetal is my aftershave- Barber recommended ! wife approved!

Just don't get you guys with all the fancy shave paraphanalia and processes. I use Bic or whatever I pick up at the dollar store, scrape off the whiskers and move on. Lol.
The set up I just listed is:
razor = $15 (but I since found the same razor for $4 at garage sales three times now)
blade = $.10 (that's 10 cents each blade, and I get 12-15 shaves from that blade; bought 100 of them for $10)
soap = $10 (I did trade for it, but new they're around $15, and it lasts me a full year or so, maybe a little longer)
brush = $8 (shows no signs of wear)

I know you didn't ask for prices, but that's just to show with a small investment of time and money, you're talking about not having to think about shaving for 3-4 years to buy more blades and maybe once a year to buy your soap.

I wouldn't bother posting, but I broke out an old tub of Declaration Grooming Mayflower Bison formula and had a fine shave. A few things about this soap. First, I don't normally like lavender smell. Matter of fact, it can easily make me nauseous. Yet, the combination of lavender and tobacco surprised me with how much I really, really like it. Second, this is a soap that stays on you for hours. No need for aftershave to hold the scent. Third, this soap is a water hog. If you don't want it to get sticky in short order, you have to add more water to the lather building than normal.

Last edited:
A long time ago, I used to go to the Porcupine Mountains a lot. There was a particular trail that I enjoyed, but the lake at the top of the mountain was anticlimactic. It was more like a muddy pond of mosquito infestation. I liked the trail because that non-event pond fed a crystal clear stream of freezing cold water, and that stream was lined with thick moss. It wasn't directly off the trail, so it was somewhat of a hidden treasure. I'd hike to the top, take my boots off, and walk down the stream on the moss barefoot. Almost all of the stream bed, almost all the way down, was covered in this moss. It would make for a wonderful day. There was a smell to that stream and mossy tunnel. A little pungent. A little green. I wouldn't be able to describe it, but...

I save this shaving soap for the occasional and special shave. It has to hit me hard to dig it out. Barrister & Mann - Seville. It's a pretty "manly" scented soap, which really isn't my thing when it comes to scents, but there is this slight note that reminds me of that Porkies' stream. This soap is really the only thing that pangs that part of my olfactory besides that stream. I shave, and I think about the freezing moss. I always enjoy the shave, as I did today.

Muhle with Gillette rubie blades
Proraso sensitive skin pre shave
Buff city soap
Old spice classic after shave

Prosaso
Buff city soap kraken with a Jequil Corenveo brush
Astra stainless blade in a Muhle R89
Aqua velva musk

No smoking today. Raining all day. So I took that time to have a slow and relaxing shave for a baby butt smooth (bbs). Great shave.

razor: Gillette New long comb with ball handle from the 1930s
blade: Astra Green, 14th shave
brush: Maggards synthetic with purple marble handle ($8 during one of their sales)

Wow, I can't believe all the effort you guys put into shaving. I shave in the shower with Gillette Foamy and throw away Bic razors from Walmart. Fortunately now that I'm retired that is only every 4 or 5 days.

Proraso green Pre shave
Old Spice original shave cream applied with a Parker Silver tip Badger brush
Merkur Futur with a lord platinum blade
Old spice original after shave

Proraso white preshave

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements lavender planets shave soap

Gillette safety razor
Gillette platinum blade

Phoenix Artisan accoutrements lavender planet after shave

razor: Rockwell 6S, plate 4
blade: Astra Green, 17th shave
brush: Maggards synthetic with purple marble handle ($8 during one of their sales)

I normally drop the blade after around 14 shaves, but this one is singing along. I corked it before using it the first time. I was skeptical of what a cork would do, but I have to say, it works. Those first-shave weepers and harsh feels are eliminated. And it appears it doesn't affect the longevity of the blade, either. Weird. I recommend trying it.

razor: Gillette Adjustable 1963
blade: Astra Green, 20th shave
brush: Maggards synthetic with purple marble handle ($8 during one of their sales)*

Thinking I was going to toss the blade soon into this shave...wrong...exceptional shave. *I also have the Maggard synthetic based on a Kent handle design, and I find that handle to be perfect in every way. The knot was set just a tad higher, so it is also a tad floppier. Love that handle, but in comparison, I always use the purple one.