SOTD: Shave of the day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brush jequil barber pole
Proraso green preshave
PAA Red Planet 369 shave soap
Gillette 100 year edition razor
Big Ben Super Stainless blade
PAA Red Plante 369 aftershave

Ho Ho Ho

As usual, cheap throw away Shick and Gillete Foamy shave creme. Nothing fancy here. Works fine for me in the shower with lots of hot water. Fortunately I no longer have to shave every day, lol.

A buddy of mine dry shaves every morning with dollar store razors. I envy him. I have whimpy skin and hair like wire. It's always been a pain in the rump. I've tried everything. I'd practically do anything to not have to dread something I have to do all the time. Like health, if you can do little and have it good, be grateful.

razors: 1930s Gillette New Long Comb > Rockwell 6S
blade: Astra Green, 2nd shave
soap: Cremo

A long time ago, I picked up a couple of non-soap shaving tubes to try in case I needed to fly somewhere. So I wouldn't have to bring along a brush; to trim down the travel kit. I don't fly anywhere, but you know...trying to be prepared. I picked up Cremo and Dr.Carver's Shave Butter. It had been so long that I forgot if I liked either one. And because I'm on a new blade, I pulled out the New LC razor. I like that razor better with a fresher blade. I find it a bit finicky. It didn't take long to remember how poor of a cream Cremo is. I wasn't done with one side of my face, and I had to switch razors to the Rockwell 6S, as it is far more forgiving and easier to handle. With Cremo, you add water to keep it slick. First of all, I never find Cremo slick. It provides some lube between skin and razor, but not much. I kept having to add water...and add water...and add water...each time getting more and more tacky and even sticky. Sticky is not something I want when shaving. Cremo is absolute crap. It all came back to me as I was shaving. The Shave Butter is better by at least double, but it ain't no stroll in the park either.

I should have mentioned this yesterday. If you're looking for a travel cream, forget Cremo and Shave Butter. Look for Kiss My Face Moisture Shave (aka 4-in-1). They have an unscented and a Mint. I normally do NOT like mentholated shave soaps, but this is not that. It does have a cooling effect, but it's very mild and natural, vs feeling like a chemical is lighting up your skin. They used to have a couple other scents, but they appear to be discontinued. And some of the thickest, richest, slick lather you'll find, as well as leaving your face very soft. I think because it comes out like hand lotion that people are confused by it, and it's not as romantic as a shave soap and a brush. You get your hands wet, put a pea-size amount on your palm, and rub your palms together to create the lather. A little goes a long way. You can also use a brush if that is what you prefer. I do. Great stuff, and 11oz is like $8. It takes a long while to go through 11oz a pea at a time.

A buddy of mine dry shaves every morning with dollar store razors. I envy him. I have whimpy skin and hair like wire. It's always been a pain in the rump. I've tried everything. I'd practically do anything to not have to dread something I have to do all the time. Like health, if you can do little and have it good, be grateful.
Dry shave??? Ouch!

When I was a teenager the barber would offer to trim my mustache. I'd give him the go-ahead and he would utter expletives and say my whiskers were like wire and were going to ruin his electric clippers.

I either need to grow back a beard or begin shaving again with a blade so I can use up some of my supplies. (My wife told me to shave my beard the other day so the anesthesiologist doesn't have to get someone to shave it before my surgery.)

I dry shave my neck below the jawbone, my beard covers the rest. Just start in the direction the hair grows and then the othe direction. I use a disposable twin blade razor and use my pocket knife to clean out the hair between the two blades. Every couple of weeks when a shave hurts a bit, it's time for a new disposable!

Has anyone ever used a Muhle R41? I've read it is one of the more aggressive safety razors out there and might get one.

Proraso Red, Jagger DE89, Feather blade, no name brush