SPC Mississippi River

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobx

Reaction score
SPC "Mississippi River" in the Bekler Meerschaum.

AnthonyCastlesm.jpg

Beautiful architecture. Where is that?

Hi Ranger

That background is actually a "green screen" from UNC Wilmington's media Dept. It's the same technology you see on TV when the weatherman has the interactive U.S. map behind him showing how the weather is moving across the area. Sorry, I don't know where the actual place is. My guess would be somewhere in Europe.

The green screen can be made to show any location virtually, controlled by a computer. Many of your scenes shot today in studios use the green screen technology to make it appear as if the scene is happening out in the wild west or in Europe or in the forest or someplace other than the studio. Most studios quit creating physical background scenes using build-ups and painted canvas decades ago to reduce manpower and materials costs.

If you ever watched "Bonanza" closely, all the backgrounds at the Ponderosa were painted canvas shot with forced perspective in the studio. They didn't have green screen technology back then. That's why if you are astute, you'll notice "Ben and the Cartwright boys" riding past the same boulder in the background over and over sometimes. :)

Sherlock Holmes Library green screen with my calabash:

Attachments

• AnthonySteampunkLibrary.jpg
    AnthonySteampunkLibrary.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 126
Very interesting. Must admit I would rather see the real thing. I was always amazed at the architecture in Europe given their lack of modern tooling.

One of the first tobaccos I bought and still a favorite. Pick it up cheap on cigar bid ... the 4oz special reserve. I love it because it doesn’t fit a category perfect. To me at least, it’s one of those blends that is across the board. Love it.