Spilman Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpkrause

Reaction score
I got to chance to try E. Hoffman Company's Spilman Mixture at our last meeting thanks to the generosity of our members. It was described as a mild English blend. Mild English blends are my favorites so I had to dive right in and try a bowl. The tin is described as "complex English blend of Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and cubed Burley" by the manufacturer. I don't smoke a lot of blends with burley in it. I think I may be missing out and may need to expand my horizons. Mild English is a very appropriate description of this tobacco. More accurate would be a pleasantly mild English tobacco. The Latakia, Virginia, and Burley tobaccos are very well balanced to create a tasty smoke that reminded of toasted nuts and summer campfires. The Turkish is the one component that was almost lost in the background. This might be a good thing, as too much Turkish would upset the balance already achieved in this tobacco. This may not be a smoke that completely knocks your socks off but it makes for a great all day, anytime smoke. I can't wait to try it first thing in the morning with a nice cup of coffee. Overall 4 our 5 stars. I will be ordering a pound or two to add to my cellar.

Great review, Dan! I've been a little curious about both this and Distinguished Gentleman, so I might have ti give it a shot. The price is right, too: you can hardly go wrong if you buy the 7oz can, but the small tins are a little steep.

I have four tins put away-- it's a great outdoors winter smoke, especially in a cob.

Absolutely love Spilman Mixture!! Have 14 oz. jarred. Just received another 7 oz. tin from SPipes yesterday. Now....My taste buds are a bit different than DPK's. I hardly notice the Burley, but adore the interplay between the Va's, Latweed, and Orientals!! The rough cut is a fav of mine; hard to find these days. Back in the old, old days when I worked in DC, Bertrams had several blends in a rough cut. I particularly enjoyed several of their Latweed blends. If you are looking for an easy blend to ease into English/Latweed tobacco, this one should be on your list. FTRPLT

Good morning,

To me this tobeaaco is much like Revelation.

John

Don't talk it up too much, there will be a run on it!!! LOL
This is definitely a blend I can smoke all day. The varied mixture of tobaccos blends very well and in a way it reminds me of some older vintage blends made years ago. I guess that's where the old style label comes in to express that idea. I would call this an aromatic in my opinion and enjoy it totally.

This one has been on my radar for a while. I have 2 tins in the cellar that I am yet to try. There are just so many on the list, it is hard to find the time to try them all. First world problems eh :)

The only reason I can think of that this isn't a more popular blend is the burley involved. Some people genuinely do NOT like it.

This has always been a favorite blend of mine.

Thanks for the fine review. SM is a longtime favorite (since it was 'reinvented' around 2009), although Distinguished Gentleman has the edge in taste for me.

I have never tried Distinguished Gent. but if it has an edge in taste I may have to give it a go sometime. I believe that both of these blends are made by Sutliff Tobacco Company in Richmond, VA along with blends like Edward G Robinson and hundreds of others. When it comes to burley based blends, either you love them or you don't. In my case, being a tobacco slut, there are very few that I dislike. Any blends with a heavy cherry flavor are OUT.