Staining a Virgin Finish Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I asked Mark Tinsky if he could stain a virgin pipe with the "Terra" finish that
Ardor uses on some of their nicer blasts.He says yes,for about 25$ he can.
So now I am thinking.....to pimp my pipe or not to pimp.That Brown/Gold finish
sure would look nice on that pipe.

Winslow

One question that comes to mind is, without being sealed and waxed-over, how long are the colors you like going to stay those colors (assuming use and the handling that involves) ?

:face:

My take on staining a virgin finish is not to do so. Over the course of time—my Irish Second took 5 years to attain the following color—by being smoked, the pipe takes on a chestnut color that is lovely, and all the types of grain that are harder to see in the virgin state appear quite nicely in the "smoked" state. I expect its current chestnut color to continue to deepen.

I haven't decided whether or not to stain the pipe yet.It's such a good smoker,I'd hate to ruin its looks.I've got another Ardor calabash that I bought as an estate and it was a virgin finish too at one time,now it has that patina you mention and it's not too hard on the eyes.

Winslow