Stanwell Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a good, reliable resource for information on Stanwell finishes? Both current and out of production?

I have had several Stanwell pipes Made in Denmark (about 25) and 4 or 5 Danish Design (Made in Italy). The sole issue I had with any of my M in D was that some dye ended up in the mortise and airway without me knowing it; so it really tasted awful at first. When I realized what the problem was (the pipe cleaner was ruby red), a vigorous cleaning took care of this issue.
The majority of my DD's was badly drilled.
Based on this experience, all I can suggest is if you have a choice between a M in D and DD, choose the M in D.

Thanks for prompting me to inventory my Stanwells. I have thirteen of them:

Buffalo 119 (I think),
36 Benchmade in Denmark
Bent Dublin, plateau top (two of them)
Bent billiard
Straight billiard
Straight billiard with hexagonal shank
POY 2000, straight billiard, military mount with silver
Legend Poker 207
Legend Pot 45
Rook, made in Denmark
Apache bent Bulldog (two of them)
Bent Egg 186

Three of the above are smooth (Egg, 36 and Poker) The rest have handsome blast ring grain. They’re all great smokers. I’ve had most for decades.

Back when I was enamored with Danish shapes and the more unusual pipe shapes I loved Stanwells; affordable, good smokers, and they filled the desire for appearance a bit off the grid.  As I drifted back into more traditionally shaped pipes most of mine went away.  I still have a couple of Royal Danish pipes and one or maybe two Scandia's, both Stanwell seconds.  Good pipes but they do run to the small side and therefore sort of languish at the bottom of the rack these days.

What are the matte, satin finishes? Majestic and Silkebrun are two that I know. Are there others?

It's always a bummer to me when a seller or refurbisher buffs them shiny. I've seen quite a few sales and repairs where this has been done. "Uh...that's obviously a smooth pipe...but it wasn't intended to be glossy and shiny."

smokingpipes.com had acquired a small lot of old "new" Stanwells a couple years ago and I bought an Eltang designed 2003 pipe of the year - a sandblasted billiard with a nice little silver plate with "Stanwell 2003" on the top of the shank.  It looks great (has "Eltang" all over it from a mile away), smokes GREAT, and was so inexpensive I periodically kick myself for not buying more of the lot when I had the opportunity.

I love that pipe, and I can well see how Stanwell has such a devoted following.

As an aside, the pipe has a red rim and I've never had a problem with it losing its stain, but maybe because it's an area that doesn't see much cleaning agents or the like(?)

Zeno, I wrote the above before seeing your comment(s) about the size issue.  My Eltang Stanwell is around 5.25", but then, I have 12 Tom Eltang Marque pipes and a couple pipes under the Sara Eltang marque and they're all on the smallish side, other than the Arne Jacobsens, which are just over 6".  The bowls on these (2) and the pokers (6) are tallish, but the pipes themselves are definitely short, some under 5".  He's now tending to make his pipes even more on the petite side, even bringing the bowl size on his trademark pokers shorter, for God knows what reason.

Need a little help from a Stanwell expert. Does Stanwell have a Danish billiard with the bowl shape of the 113 and the shank of this pipe? The 113 is a flat, Canadian-esque shank, and I'm hoping to find a round, rather stout shank with that classic tapered Danish brandy/billiard bowl. *I used to know how to post images, but I guess I no longer do. Any help from a moderator?

3jNRZ6T.jpg

002-034-8269.jpg