Stanwell Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
I've been partially restoring pipes for a while now, but I've never been too serious about it. Lately though, it's just really been intriguing me. (Especially seeing all of Riff Raff's posts). So I bought a really dirty Stanwell, that actually needed a ton more help than I thought.

This is the Ebay post:

These Pictures Do NOT show how dirty it really is.
As soon as I got it, I started to soak/scrub the outside of the pipe, and as much of the inside of the pipe as I could with Alcohol
That's when I found the Crack down the side.

Well unfortunately, I just skipped picture time after working on the pipe, but to sum it up, I sanded the bowl down to try to hide that ugly chip, and used that briar dust, and very thin glue to fix the crack. Then I sanded the bowl a few more times, going up to 1200 grit. I did the whole "Soak the Stem" in 50/50 Bleach/water. Then sanded from 400 up to 1200 grit. Before that though I filled some of the chatter and snaggle tooth holes with Black superglue. Then, after an alcohol bath, I heated up the bowl and applied Fiebing's Leather Dye, the Moccasin Brown color. I glued the band back on the pipe, gave the whole thing a buff with Brown Tripoli and White Diamond, and followed up with a coat of Carnauba.
Here she is;

As you can see it's not perfect, but it's my first ACTUAL go at Refurbishing. You can see the spot where the superglue wouldn't allow the dye to soak in all the way. Also the stem isn't perfect, I plan to put more work into that. But tonight, She's getting filled with some Old Dark Fired, and getting smoked to celebrate. I might try out a maple syrup and activated charcoal bowl coating on it depending on how it smokes tonight! Thanks for looking!
Zach

I forgot to mention, the stem wouldn't fit into the pipe so I had to sand down the end. Also the band had what I'm thinking was a rubber inlay. I took that out and my wife filled the gap with Shellac! She was a big help!
Zach

Zach, very nice job indeed. The end result is you can now smoke a Stanwell pipe you can be proud of, it was originally in sad shape. Great job and now for your next one?????

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well done Zach! You've got a pipe you can be proud of and no doubt it'll be a fine smoker, it's a Stanwell. :)

AJ

Thanks LoneCoyote!!!
Yeah, I'm hoping to stumble upon some old box of pipes I can restore as practice.
I was definitely fun for Me!!!
Zach

Great job there Zach, that looks like a huge amount of effort for a great result. Much like life really :)

Cheers

Tim

You had a boat-load of cake to clean out with that one! It's probably what caused the crack in the first place. The rim damage was pretty good too. Nice work bringing her back to life!

Nicely done! And I agree, it's a Stanwell so of course it will smoke well! :)