Stem Polish

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just asked this same question in another thread and I have to add it here. Have any of you brebbia users compared their polish to the denicotea stem polish? I have the denicotea product but am curious about the brebbia.

Wow! I'm so happy to have a B&M with a buffing wheel! :lol: I also use a B&M brand stem polish with a microfiber cloth to attack any oxidization I see as soon as it rears it's ugly green head. Then at least once a month my most used pipes go in for the full buffing treatment. My OCD requires I take such measures and a perfect pipe is a big part of a relaxing smoke for me.

The best thing I've found so far is Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, either on a cloth or on a buffing pad. TW Rubbing Compound will remove the green crap from old stems. I actually bought a couple of tiny tubes of the rubbing compound from a well-known pipe repair guy before I realized what it was, and that I could get it MUCH cheaper from Autozone!

For me it's 600 wet sand a buffer and BLUE rogue. Won't get a better shine using anything else. One can make a bench buffer out of an old appliance motor, single or dual shaft. I have two in my shop and I don't know what I'd do without them........yeah I do, bust a hump to polish a dadburn stem and or stummel.

Interesting dichotomy.

We poo-poo the shiny finish on a basket pipe and laud the satin glow of fine finishes.  Then we get to the mortice/tenon break and all hell breaks loose.

I don't go for oxidation or mouth grunge but the rest I'm willing to call patina and part of the process.  I had a buffer for other things and did it a few times but they aren't really new pipes.  These days a micro-weave cleaning cloth handles all but getting a ebay pipe ready to smoke.  For years, I've used Zwipes that I buy on Amazon for just about every cleaning job and that includes my pipes.

JKenP":lgg5q38g said:
Interesting dichotomy.

We poo-poo the shiny finish on a basket pipe and laud the satin glow of fine finishes.  Then we get to the mortice/tenon break and all hell breaks loose.

I don't go for oxidation or mouth grunge but the rest I'm willing to call patina and part of the process.  I had a buffer for other things and did it a few times but they aren't really new pipes.  These days a micro-weave cleaning cloth handles all but getting a ebay pipe ready to smoke.  For years, I've used Zwipes that I buy on Amazon for just about every cleaning job and that includes my pipes.
I'm just not happy if I can't count my nose hairs in the reflection of my stem sir.:lol!: 

Cartaphilus":zi546ncy said:
I'm just not happy if I can't count my nose hairs in the reflection of my stem sir.:lol!: 
I have your perfect solution:

Tweezers​

I use Soft Scrub with bleach and rub rub rubba dub dub by hand, then apply Olive Oil and let dry.
After smoking I use a microfiber cloth to clean the stem. 1 side is impregnated with Carnuaba wax, 1 side is not. Clean with the cloth first and then polish it up with the waxy side.
Stems stay pretty nice for a long time.

.................Never have used ChapStick or Bar Keepers Friend but I will now.:cheers: 

Cartaphilus":7ivyi7kx said:
For me it's 600 wet sand a buffer and BLUE rogue. Won't get a better shine using anything else. One can make a bench buffer out of an old appliance motor, single or dual shaft. I have two in my shop and I don't know what I'd do without them........yeah I do, bust a hump to polish a dadburn stem and or stummel.
I get a lot of questions about my setup, so I did this write-up:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/my-buffing-motor-setup/

Before the wheel, I use 1500 & 2000 grade 3M auto paper, than the 8000 & 12000 grades of micromesh. I buy the 3" x 6" sheets (Rockler, $4/sheet). The micromesh sheets last forever.

That buffer is certainly serviceable. Well, a bit Rube Goldberg with the vice. :p 

If you can pick up a couple of bearing blocks and a piece of threaded rod and a pair of 3 step pulleys, that mounts nicely on heavy board and can be stood up in a corner or under a bench.

On one side I mounted a big, old Jacobs chuck and used it to quick change buffers. I got all of the above from a used equipment shop for a song. Keep an eye pealed and stop if you pass one. Lots of stuff in them you can use to cobble together goodies.