Stem problem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak2000

Reaction score
I have an old Savinelli that I purchased as an estate. The stem is stuck and won't come out unless the pipe is warm and it won't go back in all of the way unless it's warm either. Of course I've read that you're not supposed to take it off when it's warm so I don't know what to do. It there some sort of oil I should use or any recommendations?

Those are a pain in the ass, and you can easily break your shank or tenon if it's very tight. You might try rubbing #2 pencil lead all over the tenon. A real graphite pencil would even work better. That usually works for me. It will still be tight, but at least it will kind of "slide."

Rub some candle wax....any wax, all over the tenon to act as a lube.  I rub wax on the tenons of every pipe that I own, and I try not to remove the stems from my pipes when cleaning....I just run some pipe-cleaners dipped in high-proof drinking alcohol, down the stems for effective cleaning.  Brandy, Rum, Vodka, Moonshine, Rum Extract....all will work.  I would not use Isopropyl, rubbing-alcohols, which might contain scents, and Glycerine.  Yech!

That extra tight tenon may just need to be slightly rubbed, ever-so-slightly, with a piece of 600-1000 grit sandpaper. Make sure you only sand the tenon of the pipe stem, and stay away from the stem/shank interface.   Just a whisper of sanding with an ultra-fine grade of sandpaper will most likely be all that's needed for a better, less tight, fit.  Sand very, VERY, gently, and try the fit with some wax rubbed onto the sanded tenon.  Sand only until the tenon/shank fit is perfect.

Try the wax treatment first.... sand, only if necessary, last.

Good luck,

Frank
NYC

Thanks for all of the help guys. I have another one, an estate that I just received and the stem is a bit loose. Anything can be done about this?

As was recommended to me in the past by others, a coat (or two) of clear nail polish to the tenon has done the trick for me with loose stems. I'm sure others will chime in with some other options as well.

BB

If you are able to smoke it as is do so. 4-5 bowls may provide enough moisture to the area for the wood to swell up to its original size. Alternately you can use a wet q-tip to moisten the mortise and put the stem in and allow to dry. Some people have decent luck rubbing the tennon with bees wax. It may take multiple applications to fix but it's usually not a hard fix.

Jim

You can fix a loose tenon. I once bought an estate pipe with a tenon that was too loose. I asked for a quick fix and forum members told me to take the stem out of the pipe, and to heat the tenon over a candle flame while rotating the stem around, and above the flame. Just heat the tenon for a few seconds while spinning it, then try it in the pipe. This "heat treatment" worked for me, and now, I have a good fitting stem.

Cost = zero $$$ Good luck.

Frank
NYC

ak2000":on2hchxl said:
Thanks for all of the help guys. I have another one, an estate that I just received and the stem is a bit loose. Anything can be done about this?
Bee's wax has always worked well for me. Just rub a bit on the tenon, try it, and if it's still loose rub some more on. Works like a champ!

I got in a block of bee's wax years ago for this purpose and it will last several lifetimes.

Cheers,

RR

Snip a little tag of heavy paper — maybe 1/4” x 1” — lay it alongside the tenon (but not protruding into the airway), then reassemble. You’ll have a little tag left which is easily torn off leaving no visible evidence of your hack.

I suggest using graphite. It dries the moistness of the pipe stummel and allows for easy removal of the stem. All you need is a pencil rubbed around the stem connector. It will not harm the pipe, nor will you be harmed by it.