Stems & Tenons

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand something. I'm under the impression that a pipe's stem and tenon are cut from one piece of rod, but I guess maybe I'm wrong? When a pipe is made... the tenon is made separate and fit into the stem? Is this right? Anyone?
Thanks,
Milan

There are two ways to do it.

The stem can have an integral tenon, in which case the tenon is turned down to size from the stock that the tenon is made from.

Or the stem can have a tenon inserted. In this case most pipe makers use a material by the trade name of Derlin. This material is very dimensionally stable and also has some self lubricating properties which give the stem a nice smooth feel when it is inserted into the stemmel.

Both methods are used by high end pipe makers.

Todd

So some makers will fabricate their own tenons... correct? While others buy prefabricated tenons. I've really begun to wonder about the amount of epoxy that is being applied to pipes. I mean there must be a significant amount if your inserting a tenon into the stem and applying inlayed materials like ivory, horn, exotic woods, etc...? I understand that delrin makes for an easy to remove stem, but I'm not sure how I feel about all the glue being used? I guess I prefer a pipe that has a stem and tenon fabricated as one piece, but I'm not sure?
Milan

In the case of delrin, there should be virtually no contact between the smoker, the smoke and glue. I make pipe stems with both types of tenons. If the delrin is inserted properly into the rod stock/stem there will be no glue in contact with the airway. I like the feel of a delrin tenon (and the strength, it's extremely durable), but a good integral tenon will be smooth too. I think it mostly comes down to personal preference.

Just for your reference, most of the carvers I know (the ones that use delrin) make their tenons from long pieces of delrin rod (3' lengths). You can buy tenons from some carving/repair suppliers, but I don't know of many guys who do this. There are quite a few steps in making a proper tenon, so the pre-made versions don't really save you much. More of a practicality/money issue than anything.

Todd explained it perfectly. I'm not a big fan of Delrin myself. I've used them before. I prefer to turn my own tenons from rod stock though. It's a pain without a metal lathe but I just like it better. I don't think there's a risk with epoxy because as andrew points out a very minimal amount if any will come in contact with the airway. Epoxy dries so hard I doubt it would release any toxins unless it was heated and the airway of a pipe isn't going to be nearly enough heat to do so.

I'm actually starting to realize that delrin tenons are a good thing. After close examination of many of my pipes... I see that most of them are using standard delrin tenon inserts. It makes for a smooth stem release and makes it easier to do stem repairs if the stem were to break. I guess it doesn't matter so much to me anymore... insert or rod cut. The epoxy thing isn't a concern as far as health, but the fact it seems arts and crafts to me. I always imagined making a pipe was shaping and drilling a stem and stummel, but I imagined wrong.
Milan

This thread has been informative to me as an innocent but curious pipecarving bystander.