Sterilising Mason Jars: Necessary?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernLights

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just picked up a set of mason jars so I can store some tobacco properly. Was reading up on how that is done, and one site mentioned that sterilising is NECESSARY before storing tobacco in the jars. Using either boiling water or dishwasher on high temp sanitize cycle.

Is this widely accepted as necessary, or is it a "some do, some don't"? What percentage of people who store in jars do this? If I don't, am I basically guaranteed that eventually I will lose a jar or two to mold/spoilage, or does it happen only extremely rarely, and it's a safe bet to not need to do it?

Thanks for your input!

I possess no scientific proof to support my doings! That said, I always give jars, lids, & caps in which I am going to store/age loose tobacco a thorough scalding in the dishwasher before use. I have never had mold on my tobacco. Now, if I'm just using a jar to store open tins and/or pouches, I don't usually sterilize them. Again, never had a mold problem. Hope this helps, FTRPLT

for cellaring, i sterilize in a pot of boiling water.

do i need to? no clue. is it easy to do? yup. can it hurt? nope.

ymmv,
doody!

If you dry them quickly afterward and immediately put your tobacco into them, as the air cools they'll also seal themselves and make the little popping lid activate. Or so I'm told...

When new I don't do a thing with them but fill them. To reuse I sanitize them and air dry on a bottle dryer I use for home brewing beer. I always use new lids.

New jars -- I've put some through the dishwasher and others I've used straight out of the flat. No difference, far as I can tell.

Used jars -- Through the dishwasher, including the dry cycle.

New jars: I have never sterilized; have used straight from the store, and have had no mold problems...Some of my jars were filled 10 years ago, and I see / detect no mold visually or when smoking.

Reused jars: I put them in the dishwasher, heated drying cycle selected.
I put a new lid and band on to get a light seal immediately after removing from the dishwasher (making sure that they are totally dry inside). I always use new lids and bands.

New jars I just fill from the package.  I've only been collecting pipe weed for a few years and have seen no problems yet, but I can't say anything definitive.  Since I'm not going to eat it I don't worry too much about sterilization - in fact if my understanding is correct some bacteria is needed for tobacco to age properly.  Tobacco companies don't go through sterlization of containment as far as I know - in fact I think they just bail it into big piles or bags and hope/expect bacteria to does work on it.

I'd change my tune if I found mold or something in my jars 5-10-20 years from now (which I really think is unlikely or I wouldn't have gone this route), but today that is my answer!  ;>

keen smoke":qn9ydh9l said:
New jars I just fill from the package.  I've only been collecting pipe weed for a few years and have seen no problems yet, but I can't say anything definitive.  Since I'm not going to eat it I don't worry too much about sterilization - in fact if my understanding is correct some bacteria is needed for tobacco to age properly.  Tobacco companies don't go through sterlization of containment as far as I know - in fact I think they just bail it into big piles or bags and hope/expect bacteria to does work on it.

I'd change my tune if I found mold or something in my jars 5-10-20 years from now (which I really think is unlikely or I wouldn't have gone this route), but today that is my answer!  ;>
Ditto. I have to agree with this.

I forget whether it was Ball or Knorr but one of them sad wash in warm soapy water before canning on the outside of the package, so that's what I always do. Probably not necessary, but its worked for me so far, no need to fix what isn't broken.

Never had a problem with using the jars new right out of the package.

Used jars get the dishwasher treatment. New lids on those. Throw the old ones out.

Cheers,

RR

I saw a post once (I thought it was here) in which a member with access to the appropriate testing equipment tested jars in various states of cleanliness for contamination. The new unwashed jars were the best (least contaminated).

I can't see the usefulness in not sterilizing. What if there's something in the jar? I wash by hand, and it takes me 20 minutes to apply soap and water to a case. Far better, for me, to put in the effort in up front so I don't have to chance taking a bad result in the behind.

gravel":iuupd7gz said:
When new I don't do a thing with them but fill them. To reuse I sanitize them and air dry on a bottle dryer I use for home brewing beer. I always use new lids.
Yep...same exact process, here. I haven't had a problem, yet.

Any time I put anything in a mason jar the jar gets run through the dishwasher.  The rings and flats get washed by hand.  For added safety I put the flats into a sanitizer that I use on my beer making tools (just like my pipes, I make the beer all by myself....my husband just watches :lol: ).  

You can save yourself tons on money on new flats and reuse them.  As long as the seal is still in good shape (no big grooves cut into it) they will seal just fine.  I have flats that I have used over a dozen times to can food.  When they got worn out then you throw them away.  Don't ever throw away your rings, you can use them forever. If you just have to have new flats every time you use a jar you can send your old ones to me....I'll use them again :D

I wash in warm soapy water and use them. I have 12 yr old tobacco with no problems.