Sterling Silver Hallmarks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genericsoul

Reaction score
this past summer i acquired my first calabash pipe, it has a clay bowl interior and on the silver band it has a hallmark i can't for the life of me find any info in it, i tried one sight but they took down my posting so i deleted my account.

the pictures i took were using my new dumbphone so i don't know how well they'll show. just in case here is the description of the hallmarks:

in a small box it says L-B
under that box there are 3 smaller boxes with the markings of an anchor, some sort of griffin or lion and an A in the last box. any help is greatly appreciated.

calabash1.jpg

calabash2.jpg

Would appear you have an old Barling by the LB and a faint W. The B after W is ( I'm guessing) rubbed out. Google The Pipe Club of London. On their site, they have a link to identify silver hallmarks. :santa: FTRPLT

It's a Birmingham hallmark. You can see the date from the letter code here, but this chart only goes up to 1924. If you use google, you can probably find a more complete chart. You need to look at the form of the letter carefully.