Steven Books

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtarheel

Reaction score
Anyone know what is going on at The House of Calabash? Saw on his website that he is not accepting any new orders now.

His shop is two doors down from my barbershop. Yes, I live in Oregon City. My barber said he was trying to train his daughter (or some close relation) to do the recipes and run the business...and that he has developed some serious progressive medical condition like Alzheimer's or Parkinson's. I drive by his shop all the time and in the past year or two have seen it open less than a half dozen times.

I don't know what kind of contractual relationship he had with Rich's in Portland, but if they own the rights to recipes he developed and they marketed while he was there, then they would still be selling his blends. A quick call might fill you in on the score there. I think the current blender's name is Ivar Anderson.

I'm guessing that new blends, like "Seven of Nine" might be history.

Life is hard and then you die, etc.

He has had one or two minor strokes, if I recall.

Find the shop on FB, and the daughter will occasionally announce hours they will be open, but it's rare. You may be able to contact her through the FB page to ask about orders.

Based on a couple interactions with the daughter, I suspect his blends will be lost - she is disorganized, impatient, quick to anger, and has some of the worst customer service skills I have ever seen - and after getting to know Steven a bit that's saying something. Eva's a train wreck.

That's a damned shame. I've really enjoyed the few blends I've gotten through him. Guess I'll have to see what Rich's has of his original recipes. But the loss of Seven of Nine will be tragic!

What a sad end for Mr. Books.

:no:

No Cheers,

RR

I visited the store a month ago. I left a phone message that I was coming. He has been ill. Because his web sites have been hacked repeatedly I do not trust that message "not taking new orders".

He wants to go to web or phone orders only this fall.

He is training Eva.

That is all I know.

Try a phone call and leave a message is my suggestion.

I too hope this passes it would be a major loss.

My take is definitely my own.

Steve is cantankerous, but people accept that for his skills - as the eccentric artist. Eva does not have the personal skills to maintain a retail following. She may well be able to manage a Web or phone order system, but she screwed up their 4 Square one day for debit card purchases, and had a virtual meltdown.

If I hear she'll be open, I need to load up on Legion of Honor and Late for Supper. Tarheel - were you the guy I sent some Grandfather's Own and Irish too a while back?

That's too bad to hear. Steve makes some wonderful blends. He is hard to get a hold of, I think my last purchase came from Direwolf picking it up.