Sticker Shock.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipemaker

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Walked down the tobacco aisle at our local Walgreens drug store today and saw a 1 1/2 oz pouch of Captain Black selling for $8.29.

"Wisconsin" is an old Indian word meaning "Land of high taxes"

Mike

I was at a B&M here in the great state of Washington and a tin of FVF was 13.95.

Mike,

If you are ordering from out of state, I don't think the price has changed at all.

The new jump in tobacco taxes is what we Wisconsinites pay for the privilege of living here.
:no:

Mike

Jason,
A bend over icon would be useful.

There was talk of raising taxes on cigarettes another $1 a pack here in IL. Possibly on other tobaccos products, but now they are afraid they may lose more revenue.

You have got to be kidding Mike!

That is terrible!!!! :evil:

Just think had bad it will be if Hilary gets elected prez!

Mike, ask your politicians what the new tax revenue is for. California spends half its budget on education and the results are neither pretty nor productive. Because we love illegal aliens and passing students for their self-esteem instead of their learning, Los Angeles County's labor force exceeds 50% illiteracy.

The tax increase is bad enough, but starting next year, Wisconsin will impose a state wide ban on all indoor smoking in any building other than a private residence.

The only ray of light is that smoking will be allowed at a pipe or cigar retailers shop.

Jason,
We really, really need a bend over emoticon.
Actually, one depicting our Governor with his head up his ass would be even better.

Mike

Most, if not all, tins range from $7.50 to less than $10.00 at smoking pipes.com. Just got an order in today from them, less than $80.00, for eleven tins. With free shipping. Imagine that will change. Glad I have been focusing on my cellar the last five years. I'm in good shape and will certainly help with any needs here that may ensue or currently exist.

That's not hot air. :no:

The witch hunt on smokers and smoking is ridiculous. My city has been fighting to impose a ban for a while now, but thankfully the mayor is a seasoned gritter and is fighting right back against it. Don't know how long the old dog can hang in there but he's doing a hell of a job... on this, at least.

The thing that kills me is this:

There's one "main drag" through this little burgh I live in, called 2nd street. About 3 blocks of this street in the downtown area(there's really ONLY 3 blocks of downtown) are what the local media and government wonks like to call "restaurant row". There's some nice places and a load that are crap, but I digress. Several of these places, during good weather, like to put tables out onto the sidewalks so folks can dine in the great out of doors. It's a great idea.... except.... 2nd street's pretty darned busy between 4:00pm and 7:00pm, when most people like to stop for a drink or some dinner, etc. Folks that I know RAVE about the out-of-doors dining first off because, hey, it's like a picnic. But coming in a hard second is.... drum roll please... because they don't have to put up with smokers. Meanwhile they're 10 yards or less away from a teeming tangle of vehicles belching exhaust fumes all over their haute coture. Mention that to em, and it doesn't even register. I can't ever figure it out. :scratch:

pipemaker":tuj3sz2r said:
Walked down the tobacco aisle at our local Walgreens drug store today and saw a 1 1/2 oz pouch of Captain Black selling for $8.29.

"Wisconsin" is an old Indian word meaning "Land of high taxes"

Mike
Wow! Capt'n Black has NOW turned into a high end boutique blend! :tongue:

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

This makes me want to go on one of my political rants but I am going to refrain from doing that as not to hurt anyones feelings in light of the recent ill will.

I will say this. We are going to continue to be tread upon as long as everyone's main concern is with being politicly correct and non-offensive. Some folks are going to have to get riled up or the far left is going to continue to steamroll right over us. I am sick of being tread on by the far left carpet baggers, through taxation without representation. It is time that we really raise our voices! :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :!:

Justpipes":5ty82vy0 said:
I am sick of being tread on by the far left carpet baggers, through taxation without representation.
Agreed. And I am just as sick and tired of watching the republicans talk their conservative talk, and then turn around and spend money like it is growing on trees. It seems that there is no political party available to represent a person who would prefer to stay out of debt and pay as we go.

Registering as an independent (or libertarian) only means that I can't vote in the primaries. Big deal.

Oh well, it looks good on the T.V.

tin man":43cetcy0 said:
Justpipes":43cetcy0 said:
I am sick of being tread on by the far left carpet baggers, through taxation without representation.
Agreed. And I am just as sick and tired of watching the republicans talk their conservative talk, and then turn around and spend money like it is growing on trees. It seems that there is no political party available to represent a person who would prefer to stay out of debt and pay as we go.

Registering as an independent (or libertarian) only means that I can't vote in the primaries. Big deal.

Oh well, it looks good on the T.V.
Isn't it nice when two members agree! :) I couldn't agree more with you either Tin Man. We are no longer talking about a democrat or republican thing. There are a lot of things that I don't agree with in both camps. In my opinion there is not a lot of difference in either party when it comes to representing the American people as a whole, they are just wrapped up in different packages.

I just happen to hate taxes, the far left and carpet baggers like the Clintons. Why is it that because of this everyone assumes you are pro republican. As far as I am concerned most of the politicians on the national scene are carpet baggers regardless of what their political affiliation is! :x

Fair enough Jp. Maybe some day they will stop talking and start listening.

We can only hope . . . . .

As Ross Perot said, there is not a dime's worth of difference between the two major parties. The benefactors may be different, but the effect on the country at large is almost identical. I wish the libertarian point of view had a much better representative than Ron Paul.

As I see it, the Democrats will spend more money on programs that we will regret in the future. They will tax the ultra rich more which will reduce entrepreneurial investment, which is how jobs are created. Then they will try to create a jobs program. At the same time they will not reduce federal government spending, except maybe in the defense budget, as Clinton and Carter did.

The Republicans will not increase taxes but will always be tempted to maintain the high level of spending.

We need a president who is motivated to reform the status quo in D.C.: reform the Social Security system, cut spending (maybe eliminate entire agencies and programs, reduce foreign aid, reduce farm subsidies to the big corporations), maintain vigilence against terrorism, eliminate all pork projects, attempt to rebuild our infrastructure, get new refineries built, develop new energy sources, etc.