Stolen Charatan at NY Pipe Show 3/12/2016 -Recovered-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaukatt

Reaction score
It only takes one bad apple...

After what was easily the best show in recent memory, a sad report surfaces from good buddy, Dennis Congos from the NY Pipe Show yesterday. Please keep your eyes open, which is good advice on many levels, but particularly for this pipe in case you happen to see it turn up anywhere. As large a community that we are, it is still a small close knit fellowship, so let's be diligent and try to help Dennis recover this stolen pipe.

From Dennis:
Hi,
This is a sad email and I need your help. I have attached a picture of a Charatan Selected that was stolen off my table at the 2016 NYC pipe show on Saturday, March 12, 2016. I am sending this email as an alert for my fellow ICCS members to watch to see if this pipe turns up anywhere. I have asked Rich Esserman to email those on his NYC Pipe Show mailing list in the hopes someone may have seen something or may spot the pipe in the future.
As a group, show attendees are honorable people. It only takes one to bring dishonor.
I thank you for any efforts you may exert in watching for this beautiful Selected. I know my hopes are slim but even a slim hope helps.
Best wishes to you................................
Dennis
Dennis Congos
120 Beech Street
Oviedo, FL 32765
407-359-4317
[email protected]

I hope this image comes through correctly (Lou):

Stolen%20Charatan_zpseptywesw.jpg
" />

Richard Burley":xvsirx7b said:
Link just goes to generic Photobucket page. No pic.
Thank you, I'll have to fix the photo attachment from home, I'm being blocked by content filtering here at the office...

I posted this in a separate thread but in case you missed it...

Dennis' Charatan - All's Well That Ends Well Thank Goodness!!!

From Dennis:

My dear friends,

Well, this is a first and I am a bit embarrassed about raising an alarm now, but I did not know the following. This is the strangest things to ever happen to me with pipes.

I received a box in the mail today with a POB return address. I opened it and to my utter astonishment, there was the pipe that I thought was stolen. There was a note that said that this person had picked up the pipe to further examine it and to show it to a friend. He got into some conversations and laid the pipe on his table and then forgot about it. He discovered it when he packed up but saw that I had already left the show. He said that he was too embarrassed to tell anyone but his friend so on Monday, 3/14 he packed up the pipe and mailed it to me. I just received it today, Thursday, 3/17. He said in an enclosed note that he wants to remain anonymous to “forgo humiliation and ridicule from others for being an idiot”, his words. I was in such a hurry to catch my plane that I scooped up my pipes and descriptor cards and did not notice the pipe was missing until I got home. You can imagine how stupid I feel about not being fore careful when I pack up my pipes.

I apologize for the inconvenience I put my dear pipe smoking friends to on this matter but if the pipe was truly stolen, I wanted to make it risky for anyone to dispose of the pipe. I want to thank my pipe friends for any effort exerted in my behalf. I have been touched by the support I received from my fellow briar friars. They are a cadre of truly honorable men and women.

Dennis

Dennis Congos
120 Beech Street
Oviedo, FL 32765
407-359-4317
[email protected]

Not the first time that this has happened and it won't be the last, accidents happen sometimes.....