Stonehenge Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I am no good at reviewing while actually smoking so here goes. this tin is seven years old, many of you probably already know that considering its limited run. Upon opening the tin the smell was absolutely wonderful! i like that th flakes were thin. very interesting. the initial smoke... soap. I immediately regretted purchasing this!!! I have never really liked the floral taste of the lakeland style. second puff the soap disappears and then a sweetness like i have never tasted comes out and it is INTENSE!!! It tastes just like apricots!!! i mean not close but exactly like apricots, this must be the age letting itself known. About a quarter down the bowl the soap peeked thru but the sweetness kind of compliments the baccy, still quite good. the smoke has a nice blue quality to it. Halfway thru and there are lttle hints of perique spice, the mouth feel becomes a little warm, not bite, warm, getting very good. all of a sudden i taste miniscule hints of what must be the burley... becoming fantastic. umm.... the last half of the bowl becomes in my opinion one of the finer smokes i have ever had. complex sweet, almost too sweet with perique spice weaving around the virginny and soap taste, the mouth feel is excellent. about the fifth time i had a bowl i put the pipe down and fixed myself a glass of Earl Grey tea and relit and my god they go together PERFECTLY. this must be why the scent was invented or discovered. after the tenth bowl i find that this is best smoked on a cool day after lunch. the best i smoke of this i had was after a b.l.t. and some Earl greyand the temp outside was about 55 degrees. on a warm day the soap becomes overwhelm and nasty. I am very glad i bought this and the other tins. i also feel that more age will make this even better. go ahead and crack your tins, gents. only on cool days though. i think i have to renew my call for another run of Stonehenge Flake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my favorite out of all the Pease creations!
A great smoke that is rich and complex. I've seen the price of this tobacco staring to rise on the market as tins are getting scarce.

Bruce":io0cu02d said:
A great smoke that is rich and complex. I've seen the price of this tobacco staring to rise on the market as tins are getting scarce.
Bruce, there's a tin up on e-bay right now! Better grab it! :pipe:

Bent Stem":my6devvw said:
Bruce":my6devvw said:
Bruce, there's a tin up on e-bay right now! Better grab it! :pipe:

Yep, but it is misspelled in the title and description (Stonehinge [sic!]). So much for phonics… Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160299593565
Good luck!

Well, I WAS watching this auction! This tin went for a record price, over $120 bucks! This is the most I have ever seen this tobacco sell for.

I wonder what Mr. Pease must think. It must be somewhat like an artist seeing a painting go on auction... although for most artists, it's after the fact.

Most of his creations are so excellent from the outstart and age makes them better.

Slow Puffs said:
I wonder what Mr. Pease must think. It must be somewhat like an artist seeing a painting go on auction... although for most artists, it's after the fact.

Indeed, $128.55 for this creation which, probably, will go on display in the cellar rather than being enjoyed in the pipe - at least for a time. The recent prices realized on eBay for these blends is certainly something to behold.

Slow Puffs":hmbscgt5 said:

Most of his creations are so excellent from the outstart and age makes them better.
It's flattering, of course, and it pleases me to think that something I created is so prized by someone that they'll pay that kind of money for it. On the other hand, just like most struggling "artists," I received very little compensation for that tin when originally sold, and someone else reaps a big reward now that it's become rare and desirable, so I suppose the emotions are somewhat mixed.

One thing is certain, however: I truly hope the fellow who got it enjoys it fully, and that when the tin is gone, he feels his money was well spent. That would really make me happy. There is little more rewarding in life than having someone enjoy what you create.

Cheers,
Greg

Hermit":vq05eynq said:
Mebbie you should hoard some of your current
masterpieces for when they become rare collectables. :lol:
Don't think I've not considered it, but I've always cellared stuff to smoke, not to sell.

On the other hand, with some of the current prices, I'm sitting on a very tiny fortune. For over $100/tin, I'd probably sell my Stonehenge too. The $180+ tin of Bohemian Scandal was anomalous, I think, but it does indicate what at least two people were willing to pay.

It's fascinating to watch this stuff. So far, the absolute record I've seen for a 2oz tin of tobacco was a cutter-top of Balkan Sobranie which sold for $400 at one of the shows, but that was at the peak of the vintage tobacco market, which has softened a little in the past couple years.

-glp