Storage Question...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean73

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Dean from Tokyo here. I have a question...

I have put my Boswells tabacco in jars. The jars I have are the same style as the old mason jars.

About a week ago I noticed that the jars have condensation on the inside. Very fine like a window on a foggy night. I have opened up the jars for about 15 minutes a couple of times, but this fogginess is still there. Should I be worried that my tabacco will get moldy? What should I do?

Thanks for the help in advance...
Dean

I don't know for certain, given your locale, but unless your storage area is too hot or too humid, or your tobacco was originally too moist, you shouldn't have to worry about it. If it seems the moisture in the jar migrates to the top you may consder turning you jars over (up-side-down) every so-often to keep the moisture inside more uniform. If the moisture level of the tobacco was not excessive to begin with and you're considering long-term cellaring I wouldn't try to remove the moisture from the tobacco.

For some reason when I stored my Peter Stokkebye Proper English in large jars (the ones with the rubber gasket and metal clamp) it would also fog up. I have jars that have been cellared for years with no ill effects. I would agree that it has something to do with the moisture content of the blend when jarring up.

I smoke many boswell blends and I think they are too wet. I let mine sit out on newspaper for a few days to dry it out a bit, then jar it. Anytime I smoke Boswell's tobacco fresh, it gets WAY too goopy in my pipe, but with drying it out some, it helps immensely.

Mikem done hit de nail on de head! Presuming the jar is sealed properly, any moisture seen is coming from the contents. Make sure your 'baccy is stored in a cool place away from any heating ducts, direct sunlight, etc. You want it to age, not stove it!! Let us know how things turn out! :pipe: FTRPLT

Before jarring, make sure the tobacco contains the amount of moisture that suits your preferences. Add (I spritz, but there are other ways) distilled water if too dry, dry if too wet.

I have some 50 pint jars aging, or simply holding the tobacco until I want to smoke some, and I've never had a problem with mold.

As an aside, Vito told me that three rinses are best after applying soap to jars. First hot water, then cold as cold removes soap best, then hot.