Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free_byrd15

Reaction score
I am considering buying in bulk, which for means means like 4 or 8 ozs. I was wondering what is considered the best way to store this long term...like for months at a time.

Thanks

Mason jars, or canning jars will keep for years, even without sealing in wax. You can also use just about any airtight container, but be careful with plastic rubbermaid type stuff, as most of them are not very airtight :no:

I typically use a quart/liter-sized jar with a plastic seal and heavy-guage wire "snap-lock"fitting. I also place a double-folded piece of "saran" wrap over the jar mouth before closing. makes for a nice, tight seal. FTRPLT

Canning jars, just fill em up and twist the lid tight, they make all sizes,,cheap too

thanks for the advice guys. I was using glass jars with a push on top that had a rubber seal...like a 3 tiered rib, but it looks like the best way is canning jars.
Thank!

Those "push top" jars with rubber gaskets are still great for keeping the remainder of open tins or small quanities of bulk tobacco, if you intend to go through 'em quickly.

The ones I use, which are ceramic/wooden lid/rubber flange gaskets, give me a few weeks at pretty much the same moisture as when I opened the bag/tin. The third weeks, more dry, but fine. I've only used one jar for longer than that, and it wasn't great. Not a cellar-storage strategy, that is.

One caveat: nothing holds those push-tops in place. You have to make sure they're completely flush and resealed every time. I lost some nice tobacco due to my own carelessness that way, dry as dust almost overnight.