Store Plastic Tubs for Aging?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hereward

Reaction score
If you buy classic blends like Carter Hall etc that come in plastic tubs, do you store them as-is or transfer them to a mason jar for aging? I have some Carter Hall from around 8-ish years ago that I transferred to a mason jar. I guess I'm just wondering if the plastic containers hold for the long run and if anyone has tested this.

Good question, I just got my first tub of Carter Hall and was wondering the same thing. Not for aging but just if it will hold on the tub for a while

My CH is all pouches, but I have a tub of SWR I got maybe 3 months ago. Seems to be holding it's own but I think for aging, say 6 months or more, I would jar it.

I would also take into account the humidity level where you live because the more times its opened. Where I live its a constant 55 percent inside my house so it would not dry out as quick. I still take out of my larger tubs and jars and transfer to smaller ones that way the air is not exchanged just for one or two daily smokes.

I've told this story before, but here I go again... I had some bread flour in a plastic container a few years ago. It had been in there for maybe a year? Maybe 18 months. It smelled like plastic when I went to use it. An awful smell, too. Not like brand new plastic (that you wouldn't want in your food either), but a super chemical-like smell. I know it wasn't the flour gone bad because I've since had the same flour sit around the same length of time, but in a glass jar. The flour remains good in the glass. I have other plastic breaking down and smelling bad experiences as well. For one, Nalgene bottles I used to use backpacking that "turned" and went yellow and releasing a plastic chemical odor, and those aren't just your standard ol' crap plastic either. I've heard even Lexan bottles go bad, and that plastic is designed for hot food to not break it down (you know how some plastic can turn colors from chili or tomato sauce in them). I think the aforementioned 6 months cap is a good rule. Personally, I don't leave anything in plastic anymore that comes in a plastic container. I don't know how long it has already sat in the original plastic container, so there's no solid way for me to judge six months. I don't rush to move it into a new container. It's not a crazed paranoia thing, but I do try to get to it sooner than later. I know the Briar Blues fella uses food grade plastic bags he vacuum seals to age his tobacco for a short period (or at least he does in his youtube videos), but even that seems unnecessary to me. Glass all the way for me.

Carter Hall, Prince Albert and other plastic tubs are also not sealed like tubs such as SWR, Velvet, Lane Ready-Rubbed. Eventually, the tobacco will become very dry so it's probably better to put them in jars if the OP intends to let it age.

I've told this story before, but here I go again... I had some bread flour in a plastic container a few years ago. It had been in there for maybe a year? Maybe 18 months. It smelled like plastic when I went to use it. An awful smell, too. Not like brand new plastic (that you wouldn't want in your food either), but a super chemical-like smell. I know it wasn't the flour gone bad because I've since had the same flour sit around the same length of time, but in a glass jar. The flour remains good in the glass. I have other plastic breaking down and smelling bad experiences as well. For one, Nalgene bottles I used to use backpacking that "turned" and went yellow and releasing a plastic chemical odor, and those aren't just your standard ol' crap plastic either. I've heard even Lexan bottles go bad, and that plastic is designed for hot food to not break it down (you know how some plastic can turn colors from chili or tomato sauce in them). I think the aforementioned 6 months cap is a good rule. Personally, I don't leave anything in plastic anymore that comes in a plastic container. I don't know how long it has already sat in the original plastic container, so there's no solid way for me to judge six months. I don't rush to move it into a new container. It's not a crazed paranoia thing, but I do try to get to it sooner than later. I know the Briar Blues fella uses food grade plastic bags he vacuum seals to age his tobacco for a short period (or at least he does in his youtube videos), but even that seems unnecessary to me. Glass all the way for me.
100% right Zeno, I've read that water bottles should not be left in vehicles because the high temperatures react with the plastic releasing it into the water one would drink. They were storing our bottled water at work in our non airconditioned warehouse at work here in Alabama. Several of the guys I work with were complaining about it tasting bad because of this. Now when its delivered to the warehouse by the pallet we take it and store it in our air conditioned hallway in our office.

Guess I'll be getting out a few jars for my Carter Hall. I dint have any large ones left so it may take a few.
Per this discussion decided I should jar my stash of CH. Out of large jars so went to Target to get a couple more. Had scored 3 at $4 a piece a couple of weeks ago. They were out of the 64 oz size so got a 4 pack of 32 oz for $9. Had 18 pouches and it took 3 of them with 2 pouches left over. Plus it took 45 minutes to open and transfer the pouches to the jars. But i'm good now for quite a while.