Storing Tobacco (for short term and long term)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
As I think I alluded to in a prior post, I smoke a lot of different brands of tobacco, which ultimately results in some being ignored to the point where some amount is left dried out.

Obviously keeping tobacco in the factory tins and even the cans with the plastic replacement lids once the whoosh of the original seal is broken is not the optimal way to keep tobacco on hand.

What do the wise brethren recommend to keep tobacco fresh so that it does not dry out?  I'm most concerned here with tobacco I keep on hand that I am "actively" smoking, which can be as much as 20 different brands (both flakes and ribbon, about 70/30).

The tobacco I "cellar" I simply keep unopened in the original tins, although I realize this may not be the best long term solution.  I don't think I'm at the point where I should invest in a vacuum sealer and bags that hold a pound of tobacco.  In fact, I KNOW I'm not at that point. But there has o be another way.

I am truly fed up with opening a tin of stuff I've ignored for a bit and finding it so dried out I either have to chuck a Chinese circle in and pray it "humidifies" enough or, in the worst scenario, break up the flakes like saltine crackers and toss the crumbs into the compost bucket.

Many Thanks - s13

First off, a bit of discipline as regards the amount of varieties one has opened at one time. I only have 3 to 4 tins opened at one time and usually consume a tin before I open another !! :twisted: :twisted: As far as bulk I work out of a large bail lid glass jar that only holds 8 oz at a time, I then smoke that down then refill when there is about an ounce left mixing the new with the older well. This procedure has worked well for me over the last 40+ years. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":5g2gx742 said:
First off, a bit of discipline as regards the amount of varieties one has opened at one time. I only have 3 to 4 tins opened at one time and usually consume a tin before I open another !! :twisted: :twisted:  As far as bulk I work out of a large bail lid glass jar that only holds 8 oz at a time, I then smoke that down then refill when there is about an ounce left mixing the new with the older well. This procedure has worked well for me over the last 40+ years.  :twisted: :twisted:
^This.

I typically have one blend always available in my tobacco pouch. I then typically have 3 or 4 other blends open at a time, not including a few bowls' worth of samples I might have picked up at a club meeting.

The only other option, if you decide you want to commit to having a great many blends open at once is to transfer the contents of each open tin to a mason jar. This will help retain moisture better than an open (unsealed) tin, but it's still not foolproof if you open/close them often to dip into them.

It's not unusual for me to have 8-12 blends open at any one time so I have to work at keeping them from drying out before they all get smoked. I do this by using some 10 oz. mixed fruit jars that have the twist open resealable lids. I dump the opened tin into the jar and replace the lid. I label the jar and it sits on my table next to my chair with the rest of the blends. Whenever I want to smoke that particular blend it's a simple matter of twisting open the jar and filling my pipe. I've had tobacco as long as four months in these jars that still had acceptable moisture levels. I've even used these jars to store tobacco for as long as 3 years and when opened the contents were just like the contents in the Mason Jars. The lids on these fruit jars seem to reseal as good as the Mason jars. However I'm not sure this will always be the case. I have a few of the fruit jars filled with tobacco that I'm hoping will allow the tobacco to age for at least 5 years. I'll know how well this experiment turns out in another two years. For now I wouldn't recommend that anyone use these resealable jars for aging tobacco until more experimentation has been done. So far I haven't had any problems using them for short term use. YMMV! :)

AJ

i do something very similar, I have tried the mason jars with 2 piece screw lids and plain jam jars with a single piece lid, the price difference between the jars is incredible with mason jars at £3 each and jam jars at 66p each, for now I'm going jam jar all the way

some tobacco I have had in them for 2+ years and it hasn't altered one bit. I did try the glass mason jars with the lever locks and they didn't seal as well for me, I could smell the various blends as well so they were leaking.

I dump mine into salsa jars. The short fat ones. They seal better than canning jars, and I've already paid for them. Recycle. Reuse.

There's some great advice above, 13.

Here's what I do...

I usually have about 4 or 5 'active' blends on the go at the same time.  As you do, the rest are cellared in their tins.  Both loose 'baccy and my active blends go into a mason jar, or kilners as we call them this side of the pond.  I label the lids and dip into them as my mood takes.

I found mason jars to be the most effective method at keeping the 'baccy moist.  Twist lid jam jars and zip lock plastic bags just don't cut the mustard and are good for only very short term storage.  I'm not sure if Ikea has reached the States yet, but one thing they are good for is cheap jars like the ones pictured below.  If I recall they were only £1 or so and come in various sizes.  The ones pictured are perfect for 50 grammes.

Before I had the jars some of my blends dried out so I used the jars to rehydrate them in the following manner.  I cut a piece of plastic drinks bottle and jammed it over the shelf in the lid of jar.  This is just visible in the second picture.  I then take a square of kitchen roll, moisten it with spring water and trap it in the lid of the jar.  This keeps the moist paper well away from the 'baccy.  Shut the lid, leave it overnight and check in the morning.  Repeat until desired level of hydration is achieved.

That's my take!  Good luck!

Stick":lb668vmf said:
There's some great advice above, 13.

Here's what I do...

I usually have about 4 or 5 'active' blends on the go at the same time.  As you do, the rest are cellared in their tins.  Both loose 'baccy and my active blends go into a mason jar, or kilners as we call them this side of the pond.  I label the lids and dip into them as my mood takes.

I found mason jars to be the most effective method at keeping the 'baccy moist.  Twist lid jam jars and zip lock plastic bags just don't cut the mustard and are good for only very short term storage.  I'm not sure if Ikea has reached the States yet, but one thing they are good for is cheap jars like the ones pictured below.  If I recall they were only £1 or so and come in various sizes.  The ones pictured are perfect for 50 grammes.

Before I had the jars some of my blends dried out so I used the jars to rehydrate them in the following manner.  I cut a piece of plastic drinks bottle and jammed it over the shelf in the lid of jar.  This is just visible in the second picture.  I then take a square of kitchen roll, moisten it with spring water and trap it in the lid of the jar.  This keeps the moist paper well away from the 'baccy.  Shut the lid, leave it overnight and check in the morning.  Repeat until desired level of hydration is achieved.

That's my take!  Good luck!

I use those bail-lid jars to store my bulk 'baccy's that I'm smoking regularly !! I've left some bulk in one for over  a year and never opened it and when I did it was just fine !! :twisted:

I haven't had a great experience with the bail top jars. At least for long-term storage. The seals don't seem to work as well as they should.

I've been using mason jars for quite a while and have found them to be the best solution. And if the contents get down to half the size I transfer them to the next size down to prevent undue drying. Works for me.

Cheers,

RR

Being disciplined in the number of opened tins is key as Monbla mentionned.
It takes some time to get there but I managed to get...er, there. I have no more than 2 or 3  50g tins opened at any time. I simply leave the tins on one of the bookshelves in my study.
I mostly cellar tins for the long term. I store them in Coleman coolers ( no beer & ice in them, now! :lol!: ). Same for the 8oz Esoterica sealed bags and Samuel Gawith 250g boxes.
The few bulk tobaccos (sold in Ziploc bags) that I buy, mostly Gawith & Hoggarth, I put them in jars like Stick has shown and leave the tobacco in the bag.
I will also, withon the next few years, start experimenting on the culture of tobacco.
I am right at where I want to be for tobaccos. I will place a yearly order for some bulk G & H to maintain my beloved Lakeland District leaf and work my way down my cellar.
I should be fairly old when I'm done (well, I sure hope so!)

Wow, I am ashamed. I must have thirty open containers now. Yah, Canning jars all the way...

I'm exactly the same, Wizard! So many different tobaccos I love, so many new ones to try, before you know it, there's open tins all over the place!

Aw shucks, I use mason jars, pickle jars, salsa jars, etc. I must have 20-25 open at any given time. Now for you guys having trouble with your bail-top jars not keeping the air out. Just take some good ol' clear plastic wrap, fold it to at least a double layer, lay it over the jar opening, and slam that baby shut! If it dries out a bit over time, just spritz it a bit with some distilled water; seal it back up, and come back in a week or so. Works just fine for me!!! No charge for the free advice :cheers: FTRPLT

Ozark Wizard":knn1389a said:
Wow, I am ashamed. I must have thirty open containers now. Yah, Canning jars all the way...
Yeah, I used to try to limit the number of open containers to 2 or 3. I gave up on that long ago. I probably have 20-30 open at any given time nowadays. I move everything into a mason jar once the tin is open, though.