Straight Grain or Cross Cut? Does Grain Matter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
Which gives you a better smoke? A perfect straight grain, a cross cut, or does it matter at all? I have a couple of each and many in between and I can't make up my mind.

Grain orientation doesn't matter, IMO. Even pipes with hardly any grain at all can be superb smokers.

Rad

If Brother Rad :king: say it don't matter....it don't matter!! And he's right, it don't matter!! :cheers: :pipe: FTRPLT

It doesn't matter in the slightest! I've owned expensive painted on straight grains that have smoked poorly and cheap rusticated pipes that smoked like a dream. I don't believe grain does anything aside from jacking up the price! :p

I have nearly flawless grained pipes that sold for less than $100 dollars simply because they didn't have the right name on them. The most perfect straight grain that I have has no name on it because the carver was so obscure at the time, he didn't even bother to sign his pipes. I would stack that pipe up against any carvers work any day.

I've got an Edwards pipe that I don't think has any grain at all. But it works fine.

Justpipes":hr8qo1nq said:
The most perfect straight grain that I have has no name on it because the carver was so obscure at the time, he didn't even bother to sign his pipes. I would stack that pipe up against any carvers work any day.
Ill give ya $25 and a sample of Walnut for THAT pipe....................right now !!

and Ill agree: It dont matter.
One of my best smokers is a $20, putty filled, horribly drilled basket pipe.....the name you would recognize but I dont remember it right now.
Its my tester pipe for new baccy.
Fab-U !

Absolutely grain matters... not at all. :lol:

Agreed - no matter. I've got a Pete Aran with lackluster grain (to say the least). It's one of my best smokers.

No difference, but I have always been a sucker for a perfectly-centered crossgrain.