Strange Flavor in a New Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4351

Reaction score
I have smoked several bowls in my Rigoletto now, and have noticed a strange "plastic" flavor associated with it. My tobacconist sold me some filters I was not previously familiar with, and I read this morning on the package that it uses activated carbon. I don't know if that is the culprit, but it seems somewhat likely.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with a new pipe? I'd be glad to know how you rid yourself of unwanted flavors that remain consistent regardless of the tobacco. I think I'll dispense with the filter, give my Rigoletto a thorough cleaning, and try another bowl later today.

Did the pipe come with any type of coating in the bowl? I have experienced funny tastes with some coated bowls. Never used a filter so can't comment on that, but I would guess a carbon filter would reduce taste.

-Dan-

D.L.Ruth":nti896d5 said:
Did the pipe come with any type of coating in the bowl? I have experienced funny tastes with some coated bowls. Never used a filter so can't comment on that, but I would guess a carbon filter would reduce taste.

-Dan-
The bowl seemed to have the standard black coating on it to prevent the wood from burning (I don't know what that's called), but I didn't notice anything beyond that. I also couldn't smell any odor within the bowl similar to the taste I've experienced. Of course now the bowl smells like tobacco.

Give it time. Strange flavors usually dissipate over repeated uses. Occasionally one gets a briar that just won't yield. Then it's time to sell or trade it.

Cheers,

RR

It's probably the bowl coating cooking. Just about every new pipe, while breaking in, offers it's own influence on the smoke. I smoke a lot of hardwood pipes, and the first several smokes are definitely flavoured by the type of wood offering up tastes you don't expect from the blend of tobacco you loaded. It should subside after you've run some tobacco through it.

No worries!

I've eliminated the filter as the culprit. I'll give it time, though I'll also say the aroma isn't all-together off-putting. It's just not one I experience with my other pipe. We'll see how it goes.