Straus - Sleepy Hollow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
You have to call Straus Tobacco’s B&M to order this in a minimum of 4 Oz. I’ve seen reviews that mention 8 oz and a pound. I’ve heard it’s  got something of a cult following. I don’t know how much it costs but it is seasonal... September and October only, I think. In the bag it is soft and leafy but torn and shredded...not ribbon cut or anything like that. It’s moist. It packs, lights and burns easily and well. The pouch aroma is sweet & spicy & vanilla. Pumpkin is claimed by some. I didn’t get that. But I thought there might a very slight cocoa thing...perhaps from the Burley.

There are many really good reviews on the Review site. Check ‘em out.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9216/straus-tobacco-sleepy-hollow

My experience?  Very little.  But as a first impression I have to say that this blend is REALLY nice. JimInks says the flavors sublimate the tobacco flavors. But I get a SLIGHTLY sweet vanilla/cocoa (much less than the bag aroma would lead you to expect) plus moderately spicy (cinnamon/nutmeg) and moderate tobacco flavor...so...sweet & spicy Burley. That combination in the ratios Straus has worked out is really exceptional and unique. I smoked it outside while puttering around my back forty on a gorgeous sunny Fall day. It was a great companion. Did the fine weather and the positive mood it engendered elevate my impressions of Sleepy Hollow? Probably. But, no worries...I had such a positive experience I’m sure I would have given it high praise anyway.

I mix mine with black Irish X and latakia.

The smoke helps cut the sweet and the rope ups the strength.

I agree. The blend is popular. Order Sleepy Hollow directly from the Straus Tobacconist in Cincinnati, and well in advance of Halloween. My experience has been good.