Strawberry Wood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peckinpahhombre

Reaction score
Anybody have a pipe made out of Strawberry wood? Anyone knows how it smokes? I just picked up a poker made out of strawberry wood (didn't want to, but unfortunately I'm required to buy a pipe every two days) and it's completely new to me.

I would be interested on some feedback too, as well as what blends seem to smoke well out of Strawberry wood.

What, did all the people talking about Strawberry Wood as a pipe material rage-quit or something? :lol: There was half a dozen posts talking about this stuff some months ago...

8)

Good Day All

Personally I have yet to try a strawberry wood pipe. I have had a few come through and what really struck me was the lack of weight compared to size of pipe. At the 2011 West Coast Pipe Show, David Field ( the distributor for Becker pipes ) showed me a group 8 sized Becker strawberry wood long shank pot blast. This pipe would qualify as a major magnum. It had a weight of a group 4 briar! I was very tempted, but the size was just way over the top for me, to make the pipe a regular in my collection, so I passed.

I asked David about how the strawberry woods smoked and he said, similar to briar, but maybe slightly " sweet".

The one that peckinpawhombre has en route to him, was going to be one for me to try, but before I had the chance he ordered it.

In hand the pipe is incredible. Feather light with a deep gnarly blast but with a soft almost waxy feel. Have you ever had a pipe in hand and you just knew it was going to be great? This pipe has that feel.

I am sure you're going to enjoy it allot.

Regards
BB

I have an Askwith that is made out of strawberry wood. It is a flake pipe and a very good smoker, but I would not say that it is sweeter than briar.

Thanks Mike. I just checked into this thread now and saw your response. The Becker strawberry wood poker is a fantastic pipe. I have never had a pipe feel so feather light - it really is fantastic, and looks great too.

Both of those are gorgeous pipes guys! :cheers:

I believe I would be much more interested in Strawberry wood as an alternative to briar, rather than morta.

Olive wood is formidable. You can smoke the same pipe twice a day; but then again I've read that it's fine to smoke briar twice. Olive has a different grain pattern; BriarBlues has a blasted olive wood lovat with the best grain I've ever seen in an olive pipe. For that beautiful of a pipe the price is certainly right. But I don't know much about strawberry. Both the strawberry pipes shown above are fantastic, the first my preference. The lightness is a great attribute, as I clench. But I'm not yet ready to take this plunge. This is my first exposure to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo

Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree, occasionally cane apple) is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Ericaceae, native to the Mediterranean region and western Europe north to western France and Ireland. .

Taxonomy: Arbutus unedo was one of the many species described by Carl Linnaeus in Volume One of his landmark 1753 work Species Plantarum, giving it the name it still bears today.[1] A study published in 2001 which analyzed ribosomal DNA from Arbutus and related genera found Arbutus to be paraphyletic, and A. unedo to be closely related to the other Mediterranean Basin species such as A. andrachne and A. canariensis and not to the western North American members of the genus.[2] (Note: no mention of briar, Erica arborea.) Arbutus unedo and A. andrachne hybridise naturally where their ranges overlap; the hybrid has been named Arbutus × andrachnoides (syn. A. × hybrida, or A. andrachne × unedo), inheriting traits of both parent species, though fruits are not usually borne freely, and as a hybrid is unlikely to breed true from seed.

http://pipechat.info/index.php/topic,5080.0.html

From what I can find on the net, strawberry wood is a distant relative to briar.

From what I can tell no one seems to know briar's relationship to strawberry. But given that Becker is using it, its positive characteristics of blast-ability and lightness recommend it. If it is as durable as briar, there is no contest. But I question how wood that is less dense would hold up to the intense heat that the combustion of tobacco generates.

How does one become required to buy a new pipe every two days? I like the sounds of that.