Subtle vs Bold

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
This is a topic that some ventured into discussion with Zero a while ago, encouraging him to move away from subtle blends occasionally. I, for one, like the subtle blends of GLP. I think this is one of the many endearing characteristics and attractions of his blends, IMHO. I hope that he doesn't feel that a majority of people want him to move away from his MO in blending.

-Paul

Paul,

You are 100% right. Stay the course GLP.

Anyone can combine nine pounds of lat and one pound of va and call it a "blend."

NO ONE has yet to define "E." It sure as hell ain't diaphanous!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,diaphamyass!

tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yoda Emeritus.

Hey guys. (I'm here,its just a real pain in the arse to post here with the blackberry,expect a lot of lurking from me). I prefer Bold flavors, but I also know that Greg Can Not stray to far from who GLPease is, he'd get crucified. Look at his adventures into Va, a bunch of the Latphiles still haven't forgivin him.

PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB PB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the crowd roars!

Here comes the wave,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,peeeeeeeeeee bee! peeeeeeeeeee bee!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooo! Yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It Is!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we have a wardrobe malfunction!!!!!!

PUMP FAKE!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

NO ONE has yet to define "E." It sure as hell ain't diaphanous!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Objection, your honor. The witness is hallucinating. :face:

puros_bran":6xb8ajqk said:
Hey guys. (I'm here,its just a real pain in the arse to post here with the blackberry,expect a lot of lurking from me). I prefer Bold flavors, but I also know that Greg Can Not stray to far from who GLPease is, he'd get crucified. Look at his adventures into Va, a bunch of the Latphiles still haven't forgivin him.
Far worse, the Lataphobes nearly crucified me for putting that subtle kiss of Cyprian goodness in Fillmore. Some "got" it, and understood what it was about, but quite a few sent me hate mail and accused me of false advertising because I didn't put it on the label. (As I recall, Dunhill, Sobranie House, Bell's, Copes, Sullivan Powell, John Cotton, and on and on, never disclosed THEIR full list of ingredients. I guess I set a precedent, and now will forever pay the price...)

But, beyond all that, not ALL of the blends from the House of Pease are all that subtle. Westminster has complexity, but I think it's pretty direct in the way it presents it. Fillmore, to my tastes, has a pretty prominent character. Haddo's Delight is far from subtle, as are Barbary Coast, Odyssey, Abingdon, though, again, each of these has more than a little complexity to engage those who seek more than a palate bruising. Personally, I think there's a pretty wide range of subtlety in the line.

But, the point is certainly well taken that I couldn't produce simple, monochromatic blends, and expect my 12 fans not to scream at me...

-Zero

You go any direction you need to with your 'baccys. I've yet to run across a GLPease blend that hasn't been a good smoke, regardless of whether it was my "type" of tobacco.

If, as an example of sublety, you mean Embarcadero, I say, Subtle it is !

If, as an example of boldness, you mean Pressed Maduro Cake, then let us by all means have more boldness !

They aren't antithetical, of course.

Given a choice, after PMC hits the streets, something along the lines of Dominican Glory Maduro would be a welcome continuation of the Fog City series. Broken flake, ultra-dark, ultra-deep, ultra-full & rich. Like home-made (not all that sweet) gingerbread. All-out, glorious excess.

Yum !

:face:

Yak":6q09zvyu said:
Broken flake, ultra-dark, ultra-deep, ultra-full & rich. Like home-made (not all that sweet) gingerbread. All-out, glorious excess.
Hmmm. GLPease Gingerbread House. Now, THAT could be interesting! ;)

-Naught

thomas james":us41uvpv said:
...NO ONE has yet to define "E."...
Teej:

I must have been away, or I'm just particularly dense. What the heck is "E"? :confused: :?:

Vito

glpease":qu81kpo4 said:
puros_bran":qu81kpo4 said:
...I also know that Greg Can Not stray to far from who GLPease is, he'd get crucified. Look at his adventures into Va, a bunch of the Latphiles still haven't forgivin him.
Far worse, the Lataphobes nearly crucified me for putting that subtle kiss of Cyprian goodness in Fillmore. Some "got" it, and understood what it was about, but quite a few sent me hate mail and accused me of false advertising because I didn't put it on the label....
Gregorio:

You know as well as anyone—and probably better than most—that you can't please everyone. Some folks are impossible, insatiable, and insufferable. Some folks don't have the discernment to appreciate subtlety. They only like what they already like, and they're not particularly interested in exploration or growth. They react negatively to ideas that they think they disagree with, based on the assumption that they understand what they heard in the first place. They require you to use their definitions, and to view the world from their perspective. We've all experienced such behaviors from such people.

They're not your market, or mine. They're welcome to our products (tangible or intangible) if they find them valuable, and they're welcome to pass if they don't...and everyone can simply go his own way in peace. Alas, there are those who are not satisfied to simply decline to patronize products they don't want. They act as though it is their right to take offense at the very existence of things (and ideas) that are different from their own preferences, and as though it is their duty to apprise the source of those "abominations" of their great disservice to All That Is Sacred...to them.

I'm inclined to recommend they relocate to a very hot place for a very long time. :cherry:

Vito

Subtle and bold really isn't what I'm talking about, I don't think.

Imagine your hungry,hangin out with the bros at a pizza joint. The pizza shows up and you start chowing down. Mmmmmm good pizza. All you really taste is Pizza, ya know crust,tomato,cheese, and some meat. You ask what pizza it is and your bud says the 'full house'. You look on the menu and see it has onions. 'Damn, I don't like onions!' You can't eat the pizza anymore because you concentrate on the onions. But the truth of the matter is those onions are what made the pizza so good in the firstplace. If you'd get over the onions you'd eventually see that there's two types of cheese and some olives to. 'Man that's a complex pizza with a lot of subtle flavors'. That pizza is a GLPease blend.
I love all but Westminster, and to be fair I didn't smoke a lot of that.

Bold is like a piece of fried chicken. When I want chicken all I want is chicken. Doesn't mean pizza isn't any good. Just sometime I want chicken.

I'm either stoned off my gourd on Cumberland and that makes no sense or in a nutshell that's what I've been talkin bout all the time.

PB's referring to "one note" weedage, I think. My favorites are straight Syrian lat, and straight dark fired KY. Yup. I know what he means... when the urge for one of those hits, nothing else will do. Hell, they're not even blends.

On a guess, Zero doesn't mess with stuff that simple partly because he's attracted to complexity by nature, and feels he can do best what he knows and likes; and partly out of professional pride. Kind of like bass players cringing when the bandleader calls "Runnin' With the Devil." :lol:

I see your point, PB, and am with you on that. In the food department, I'm almost completely free of prejudice, so I don't QUITE grok the idea of reviling something because I despise one ingredient. If I like it, I like it. Ketchup on ice cream, on the other hand, would set me RIGHT off, but it would be the combination, not the ingredients themselves that were to blame. That's why I still can stomach the notion of "Aromatic English" blends. I'm not a huge fan of aromatics, though there are some excellent ones available, but they do not belong simmering in the same pot as a fine Latakia blend that stands on its own merits. (This, in fact, is the reason I will not smoke English mixtures in pipes that have been tainted with Captain Black or his crew of sweet scented buccaneers. That sweet, lingering, cookie-shop perfume will linger forever in the bowl, and will inevitably emerge at just the right time to shatter the magic of the moment of bliss when everything is JUST coming together in the smoke. BANG! You're sailing along on calm seas, enjoying the weather and your pet albatross, when the pirate Captain decides it's a good time to board and knock your reverie into the briny deep. I hate when that happens.)

Which brings me cleverly to, AroL's bass analogy: You can be bored to tears, thumpin' to Runnin' wif da Devil, but we guitar slingers get stuck drowning in Smoke on da Water. ;)

-Zip

Ever notice how VaL trys to answer stuff for you? Better watch out dat boy be boilin ya pet rabbit for long!

I don't get the single ingrediant deal either. I'm just thankful I like all tobaccos. Well I can't say I like Maryland,but that's cause I've never figured out what it is, muchless what it tastes like.

Hmmmm Maybe its just subtle.

puros_bran":z98rpdhn said:
Ever notice how VaL trys to answer stuff for you? Better watch out dat boy be boilin ya pet rabbit for long!
I'm more worried about him getting after the gerbils, but thanks for the warning.

I don't get the single ingrediant deal either. I'm just thankful I like all tobaccos. Well I can't say I like Maryland,but that's cause I've never figured out what it is, muchless what it tastes like.

Hmmmm Maybe its just subtle.
In fact, Maryland tastes remarkably like burley, with less nicotine, and it's got a good ash content, so it burns well. It's often used to soften a cigarette blend and to improve its burn characteristics. I used it in one pipe blend, years ago, called Inverness. It's good stuff, but not as often used as other leaf.

puros_bran":ksj0ltd2 said:
PB -- It's because I have a GLPn < 1, is all. Part of the parallelism, kinda like twins who finish each other's sentences. The number just keeps dropping, too.

GLPease Gingerbread House :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dark (maybe air-cured) flake. With just enough of cigar leaf, perique and maybe even latweed to darken & enrich it still further without sticking out individually. Some burley would probably be involved for extra whompitude. DGMaduro does the basic idea well, but its sweetness gets cloying by the time you're approaching the half-pound mark.

The downside of calling it that would be people figuring it was an aromatic, then being peeved when it wasn't like raspberry cheesecake sundae.

:face:

puros_bran":ch7jsjhz said:
Subtle and bold really isn't what I'm talking about, I don't think.

Imagine your hungry,hangin out with the bros at a pizza joint. The pizza shows up and you start chowing down. Mmmmmm good pizza. All you really taste is Pizza, ya know crust,tomato,cheese, and some meat. You ask what pizza it is and your bud says the 'full house'. You look on the menu and see it has onions. 'Damn, I don't like onions!' You can't eat the pizza anymore because you concentrate on the onions. But the truth of the matter is those onions are what made the pizza so good in the firstplace. If you'd get over the onions you'd eventually see that there's two types of cheese and some olives to. 'Man that's a complex pizza with a lot of subtle flavors'.

I really like the pizza analogy. I never really thought about the word subtle describing something that is complex. I always associated it with things that are simple. But sure enough, when I looked up the word subtle I found :
1. delicately complex and understated
2. making use of clever and indirect methods to achieve something
3. arranged in an ingenious and elaborate way

I'll be damned. Subtle it is then.

:pipe:

Now that's funny.

TinMan. That's gotta be the first time anyone has ever used a dictionary to prove me right. Lol. Oh crap.