Suggestion: We need an annual humor award

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Friends, allow me to suggest an annual humor award for BoB. We all see threads, or individual comments in threads, that cause us to blow coffee through our nose all over the keyboard, right? Couldn't we have some sort of award for the funniest of the year?

Here's my suggestion, and this is just a rough draft, so it should evolve into something better. I would envision two separate awards, one for the funniest thread, where the majority of it was, from the initial post, cleaver, funny, etc. This award could go two ways, either it has to start out funny, otherwise who gets the award if several are funny? Or it could be the funniest posting within an overall funny thread.

The second award would be for the funniest single entry into a basically (or at least up to that point) serious thread. (See PDs comment in the current Summerset Slices thread as an example of this.)

Selecting and voting: I would envision a specific time of year when each member could nominate one example for each category if they so decided, then it might work to have a "committee" (moderators, are you listening here?) to hone it down to the best 5 or 10 or 37 or what ever number works. Post them all into two, special, locked thread (don't want to alter what we're going to vote on) and give us a month or so to cast our vote. Than, on that austere day when all the major news networks will be waiting for the announcement, announce the winners and send out the Golden Laughed my Balls Off or what ever "trophy" we could put together. Although Christmas comes to mind, that is a busy time with other things, like sending boxes of live snakes to alfredo-buscatti as his SS and such, so a more "dead" time of year might work better? Perhaps tax day?

Just rough ideas, but what do you gents and ladies (and all the rest of you rabble) think?

Natch

Fine idea except your encouraging further thread derailment. Plus it takes away from it if you wonder if they are just trying to be funny for an award.. plus as a mod I'd be ineligible and therefore its a dumb idea

puros_bran":g7fwiitr said:
Fine idea except your encouraging further thread derailment. Plus it takes away from it if you wonder if they are just trying to be funny for an award.. plus as a mod I'd be ineligible and therefore its a dumb idea
Would it surprise anyone if I agreed?

In a world of forced humor, I'd hate this place to turn into a jokefest. I like balance in my conversations. Natural funny happens, and that's gold; when forced, it gets old. I'm one to talk, right?

*shrug* :lol:

No "Funny Awards." The occasional funny IS the award for us all. :heart:

Well you could always issue a foul for a guy purposely trying to be funny just to get in and throw him out of consideration for doing so. If you wanted to keep it real you could choose a committee to nominate and vote, but have them do it at unanounced times of their own choosing to keep people from trying to sandbag.

I should probably be eliminated on the basic of being mentally derranged. It gives me an unfair advantage :lol:

I was going to say something funny but I'm saving it up for a big finish in March.. the best laugh is the last laugh.

GK's thread about the crossbow and cob for the neighbor will win on all accounts hands down, besides you can never ell if it was serious or funny to start with anyhow. That thread will come back from like 5 years to win in the future. Competition ended.

Kaiser, did you notice you bear a striking resemblance to PB's Obi-wan avatar? My wife pointed it out initially and the more I looked the more it seemed like a good comparison.

Sorry for the thread derailment. :D

Puff Daddy":m4nwbo9o said:
I should probably be eliminated on the basic of being mentally derranged. It gives me an unfair advantage :lol:
If I didn't know any better I would cry........... :arrow:

Ocelot55":zfjcroq3 said:
Kaiser, did you notice you bear a striking resemblance to PB's Obi-wan avatar? My wife pointed it out initially and the more I looked the more it seemed like a good comparison.

Sorry for the thread derailment. :D
Unfortunately the only avatar that actually comes up for me anymore is Jers's for some odd reason. Odd network.

Theres nothing to see here, these are not the avatars you are looking for..

Nonsense.. utter nonsense! Kenobi was responsible for creating Lord Vader.. and when your the Emperor be without Vader, well besides alive. But you know what I mean.

Stop it...I have seen one too many parodies of movies for the single guy type folks and y'all are just killing the Star Wars one for me. Carrie Fisher was already hot in the real one, but the parody was better, now Vader is going to end up smoking a pipe while "torturing" her. I so hate you guys.

Star Wars itself was born in its mother's basement at age 30. What did you expect? Luca$ just did what any raging nerd would do: made the world pay. :lol:

Intending no disrespect, leave it like it is. :D

Besides -- there's be too many to choose from.

:face: