Suggestions on a daily workhorse?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
My go to work horse has been the premium mm cobs for some time now. Prior to that, it was dr grabows, but they would tend to start leaking out of the joint at some point. Recently, I’ve been trying to find a briar that was designed to take the same beating. Something lightweight, and can handle 8-10 bowls a day. I’m not sure this exists lol. I’ve looked at Peterson system pipes, and eltang basic pokers. They’re in the same price range. Any suggestions?

I agree with the cobs. I can smoke them all day without any moisture problems. Another pipe I smoke a lot is my olivewood pipe. As
far as briars, I have an older Savinelli Estella that stays pretty dry if smoked several times in a row. I think it also depends on the type
of tobacco smoked.

Part of my issue with the cobs is I end up have to ream them every week because I can’t get my finger in anymore to tamp them. The bowls keep getting bigger every week, lol. The cob itself can’t stand up to the abuse. I guess it’s ok be they’re cheap. I guess finding a good briar to beat on is a hard thing to do.

I would suggest finding a good Meer-lined pipe or two to handle your daily routine. Also, any of the older GBD seconds made of Algerian briar or the current Ropps in Algerian might do the trick. I have a bunch of really old GBD seconds made with Algerian briar. Dang briar is hard as a rock; but it still gets wet after a while. Which is why I suggested two!!
I found your comment on the current Dr. Grabow's interesting. Way back when, I worked with guys who smoked their PA, CH, Granger, Half & Half, etc. all day long in a Grabow with no break/drying time in between bowls!! FTRPLT

I’ll have to start looking into those brands, price wise. I’ve been a bit reluctant to dive into the old estate market on eBay and such, bc I don’t think I know enough about what I’m looking for there. I know most of them have sweet spots for production eras, but not what they are necessarily. Furthermore, I can’t help but think. If those old pipe companies were so great, what happened to them?

And I agree on the dr grabows. When I started smoking back in like 96/97, I swear they were better made. No filter, half and half all day and, no pipe cleaners. Never had an issue, until about 2011. I got three or four in a row that would leak from the joint about halfway through the day. And by that time, my daily was macbaren Scottish mixture. (I swear half and half changed when they started selling it in the pouches btw) I think that Brigham pipes are the closest thing to how the older grabows handled themselves. Obviously, much better finish. But the weight and smoking characteristics.

I'd go with a Pete system pipe, they're what I used when I was going into the office. Used to smoke around 5 to 10 bowls a day and they were fine. Run a pipe cleaner through after each bowl and you should be good.

I’ll have to start looking into those brands, price wise. I’ve been a bit reluctant to dive into the old estate market on eBay and such, bc I don’t think I know enough about what I’m looking for there. I know most of them have sweet spots for production eras, but not what they are necessarily. Furthermore, I can’t help but think. If those old pipe companies were so great, what happened to them?

And I agree on the dr grabows. When I started smoking back in like 96/97, I swear they were better made. No filter, half and half all day and, no pipe cleaners. Never had an issue, until about 2011. I got three or four in a row that would leak from the joint about halfway through the day. And by that time, my daily was macbaren Scottish mixture. (I swear half and half changed when they started selling it in the pouches btw) I think that Brigham pipes are the closest thing to how the older grabows handled themselves. Obviously, much better finish. But the weight and smoking characteristics.
The statement about Half & Half changing when they started selling it in pouches intrigued me. Dang near all the "drug store" blends came in pouches (some like PA in a tin); I sold'em in the 60's. They'd been around long before that. European tobacco's came in tins; American ones pouches for smaller quantities, tins for larger quantities. Just wonder'n on my part!! FTRPLT

I meant the newer “roll up“ style sealed pouch like Borkum Riff, not the “luxury” pouch that comes in a box like current Prince Albert or carter hall. I found it in a gas station randomly one day, and bought one. I hadn’t smoked it in so long, I couldn’t remember why I didn’t like it. Tasted kinda bitter, and burned my tongue so bad I actually threw it out by the end of the day. I paid like $10.50 for that pouch, the last before that I paid $3.50 for it in the checkout isle in a stop and shop lol. Time flies

Got it!! How some ever, those "roll up" pouches have been around a long time. I used to spend hours every Thursday afternoon (delivery day!!) restocking row after row of them!! Plus the boxed ones, and all the various sized tins!! Then it was time to put up the cigars and fancy cigarettes (Players, Sobranie, Phillip Morris, etc.) Let me correct myself a bit if I may. Some European tobaccos did come in pouches. Borkum Riff, Amphora, and Sail immediately come to mind; I'm sure there were others.
Funny thing is...I never enjoyed Half & Half, more of a CH, PA, and Granger man back in those days!!!!!! FTRPLT

My great uncle was a half and half smoker. It came in a box then, and in the big can. He suggested I stick to just smoking a pipe when he learned I was smoking cigarettes as well. So, I just smoked what he smoked. I had tried some rebranded 1Q previously, and it burned my mouth badly. I also didn’t know how to pack a pipe properly, until he gave me the ten second tutorial on the dip in the pouch method.

Maybe a Porsche pipe? Not that you'll be able to find one these days, but maybe someone has riffed on that deal.

Yep, pouches have been around a long time. Back in college and shortly thereafter, early 70's, I tried quite a few "drugstore" brands as well as the European blends. Amphora, which I never cared for, Sail, etc. Also a lot of American blends. SWR, Country Club, Rum and Maple, Captain Black, etc. Really liked London Dock back then but went back to tinned tobaccos, McB's, Rattrays, BSOSM, etc. Later moved on to McClellands, GLP, C&D. And you could buy a good pipe for under 20 bucks, Sav's. GBD, BBB. Those were the good old days.

I was recently looking at Morgan bones pipes. Look like maybe decent briars with no frills for $30-$50. Pretty good range of shapes too. Looking for reviews on the tube.

Buy an estate Kaywoodie in your favorite size and shape. Cut off the stinger between the air hole and the threads. This will give you what you seek at a low cost.