Summer Sucks - C'mon fall!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roogles

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post this - as it's a bit random with a few grouchy statements to set it up.

1. I'm a very large dude. I sweat a lot. I hate summer.
2. Hot drinks, smoking pipes and cigars, and caffeine seem to make the above more miserable.
3. I like smoking pipes and drinking coffee.
4. June & July were the hottest ones I can remember. We had weeks of 95+ temperatures, with extremely high humidity.
5. Work has been extremely stressful lately, which isn't unusual in this profession - it has just has felt worse for the past couple of months than it generally does.
6. Having the kids out of school for the summer has kept me much busier than usual outside of work.

All of those semi-random statements add up to me just not feeling like smoking my pipes, being social, or feeling completely human for the past few months.

I've been keeping up on the BoB here, but not posting much, not smoking much, and just feeling really "bleh" most of the time.

Last night a long-time friend, who I don't see very often was in town and wanted to get together for a smoke, drink, and epic chat - which we manage to do about 3 times a year.

Thankfully, even though it was a toasty day yesterday - after the sunset the temp got down into the high 60's and the humidity has been slowly getting better for about a week now.

All of that to say this...

Last night I thoroughly enjoyed 3 bowls of Dunhill Nightcap in my MacQueen Wizard over the course of about five hours, while my buddy had a couple of cigars.

The smoke was welcome and much needed. The conversation was epic. The drinks were cold.

Turned out to be a most excellent evening.

I'm looking forward to fall. Flannel shirts, jeans, fires in the fire pit, cooking outside over the fire-pit, and weather that is much more conducive to enjoying a pipe again on a regular basis.

I couldn't agree more. Autumn is my favorite time of the year. Not just because it's the best season for a pipe (Winter is a close second) but because that time of the year has always coaxed out my most creative and romantic side. I truly do not know why. Also, I prefer dressing in layers lol

Early to mid Fall is fine, but I have having to bundle up to ride the 2-wheeled vehicles.

Of course it is quite nice to sit outside during the late evening/night around the fire pit. The wife and daughter roast marshmallows and make s'mores while I roast a hotdog or two over the fire. Of course a nice bowl of something English/Balkan seems to go magically well with sitting around a fire.

I feel for you guys in the area of the country that have been beaten up by the heat and humidity. Grew up in SE Wizgonzin and remember all too well some of the oppressive weeks and indeed months when we thought fall would never arrive.

Glad you finally got a chance to get a break and have a pipe or two Eli. I sure wouldn't want to smoke in hot and humid weather either.

Cheers,

RR

And here I thought I was stuck smoking each evening with temperatures in the mid 80's. I had almost forgotten there was another way. :geek:

I'm with you Roogles, I frikkin hate summer! Worked on a water flume up in the mountains today, in the dirt and heat, 10 hours, no breeze and 104 degrees. Tomorrow is supposed to be 105, and we have to work in the railyards pouring new track foundations on saturday when it is supposed to be 107. I love autumn and early winter. Bring it on! Cool coffee and pipe weather!

I'm the opposite. I dread the wanning days of summer. I enjoy getting up on Sat/Sun morning and enjoying my pipe in shorts and a t-shirt. I also travel a lot, so I have to find a place to smoke outside hotels frequently. This summer, I've taken to traveling with a bag chair in my car and enjoyed a lot of nice smokes in parks, etc. I've even setup in a hotel parking lot, listening to XM on my car stereo. That too ends with summer.
I just enjoyed smoking a new estate pipe last night on the lakefront on Senaca Lake in NY, listening to a band play from the bandshell. All that ends after September. In October, I'll be wearing a coat, standing in rain/drizzle and before I know it, snow and sleet. No smoking on those nights. At home, I'm stuck in my workshop, which by the time April rolls around, feels like a prison. Now I'm depressed.......<g> Yeah, I like hot weather.

Riff Raff, it is time to snowbird.

Luckily our winter is not too long or brutal. We actually love to see snow. We will close the schools when we see flurries starting to drift against the curb.

I live in the south and I hate hot weather.I love from fall to spring when things are cooler.

J Soshae":njrml3ua said:
Riff Raff, it is time to snowbird.

Luckily our winter is not too long or brutal. We actually love to see snow. We will close the schools when we see flurries starting to drift against the curb.
I'm starting to think that as well. One daughter lives in New Orleans, the other Orlando. I'm tired of sleet, snow and 20 degree temps....

Ya last year during thanksgiving it was like 84 with high humidty down here. I prefer the break from the hot weather and I like the cold, but our respites from it down here are short and sweet.

One daughter lives in New Orleans, the other Orlando.

I was born in New Orleans. It was nice before Katrina, but now it is nothing like it was.

Now you know Alabama would be between the two daughters. ;)

Roog -

I am 100% with you, buddy. I'm not tooooo far away from you, and every single one of you points hit the nail on the head (well...except the bit about the kids, as I haven't got any). I love the fall, winter, and early spring. As soon as temps are regularly above 75, and the 80s and 90s start showing up, I start dreaming about October.

Everything thinks I'm crazy, but I'll take the snow, ice, and face-numbing winter winds over heat and humidity ANY day of the week.

riff raff":r7rave4r said:
I'm the opposite. I dread the wanning days of summer. I enjoy getting up on Sat/Sun morning and enjoying my pipe in shorts and a t-shirt. I also travel a lot, so I have to find a place to smoke outside hotels frequently. This summer, I've taken to traveling with a bag chair in my car and enjoyed a lot of nice smokes in parks, etc. I've even setup in a hotel parking lot, listening to XM on my car stereo. That too ends with summer.
I just enjoyed smoking a new estate pipe last night on the lakefront on Senaca Lake in NY, listening to a band play from the bandshell. All that ends after September. In October, I'll be wearing a coat, standing in rain/drizzle and before I know it, snow and sleet. No smoking on those nights. At home, I'm stuck in my workshop, which by the time April rolls around, feels like a prison. Now I'm depressed.......<g> Yeah, I like hot weather.
Come on down to Texas ! 9 to 10 mo's of 90+ temps, no precipitation, nice and humid with mabe 2 months of 30 to 50 degrees and very little if no snow! (mabe 1/2 days of mabe 1" :p ) It's summer just about year round :twisted:

Being in sales, I do though like the economy in the spring and summer.

I tolerate the heat at best, but when it's late December and the thermometer starts dipping into the single-digits, I'll be wishing it were August. :p Fall is always my favorite time of year.

8)

I'm with Roogles. Summer in Mississippi is not conducive to pipe smoking. The good news is that 8 months out of the year are just great, so, although I do complain a little bit about it, we do get some really nice weather around here.

Riff Raff. I lived in Western Va. for many years and I do NOT miss the winters. They weren't horrible but I did start longing for Summer sometime the beginning of February.