Sunday Morning - Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
These are pretty spectacular. I’ve tried different recipes for these and this is as good as any. I’ll post my recipe screen shots below. Notes: re the cottage cheese…400gm = 1 2/3 C. Also…I used olive oil instead of canola. I also cut the recipe in half and that yielded eight 4” pancakes. Be sure to fry these in enough oil to keep it bubbling around the edges and turn them crispy brown. That’s the good stuff. I use a half teaspoon of Smuckers Blackberry Jam PLUS a drizzle of maple syrup. Be SURE to use small curd cottage cheese. I use low fat and it works very well.

Review: to me these are as good as pancakes get. Everybody in your family will wolf them down. If you don’t mention the cottage cheese it’s likely no one will know. I remember making pancakes like this years ago on a cold & rainy Sunday morning for a lovely young lady I was trying to get closer to. It worked.

So here ya go…

2E4FC882-1867-482D-A8F2-5803B8FCB8EE.jpeg

94E9E3A0-748B-43D0-80C6-4B7162A0BE88.jpeg
9CA89335-5308-46A5-BD50-479F57999A06.jpeg

Small, like hoecakes. But cooked in more oil than I normally use for pancakes. They look great. May have to attempt these.

A family member haphazardly* put on the keto diet makes cream cheese pancakes. 4 ingredients. 4 eggs. 4 oz cream cheese (half a block). 1/4 tsp salt. 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. whip until frothy, which takes a long while by hand and takes even surprisingly long with a mixer. on medium heat, get skillet hot. pad of butter. 1/3 cup batter. makes around 8 pancakes. the key is to have the skillet hotter than you think. otherwise, they stick like crazy to the skillet. you have to be gently with them because there is no real binder in there.

People seem to like them a lot, even those not on the diet. I have put ricotta cheese in my pancakes if I have it sitting around in the fridge and about to get thrown out. I don't like to throw food away, so it gets used in experimental ways. I know it is common for a quick dessert in Italy to spread ricotta on a plate, sprinkle with table sugar, and then eat off the plate with a spoon.

*a nurse practitioner at the VA was a big believer in the keto diet (ie had her family on it). sending old people home with a bundle of xerox copies of the diet, not making an appointment with a dietitian. people who didn't grow up reading labels, not viewing food as fuel and nutrients vs a form of pleasure and sentimentality. which is why this person then proceeds to put regular syrup on the pancakes. a complicated diet, that is a dramatic change of eating habits, was never adequately explained, so the entire endeavor becomes incredibly convoluted and ridiculous.

Last edited:
It looks like a pancake with funny browning patterns. It's that f'ing diet. Just another idea to throw out there. If you have some expiring cream cheese, and it does like to mold after a while, throw it in a pancake batter of your preference. It's cream cheese. It can't be bad. Same for creme fraiche or mascarpone. Every region has some variation on it.

Love the cream cheese life. Put it on turkey/cranberry sandwiches…mixed into mashed russet potatoes…diced and dropped into tomato soup…with jelly on crusty bread…it’s like cheap Bree.

Oh my. Have you ever tried the salmon patties from COSTCO?
Absolutely. I prefer the individually wrapped salmon filets, but when you want quick and easy the patties are the way to go. Also add some vermont maple balsamic vinegarette (sp?) to make them really tasty.

Love the cream cheese life. Put it on turkey/cranberry sandwiches…mixed into mashed russet potatoes…diced and dropped into tomato soup…with jelly on crusty bread…it’s like cheap Bree.
Wife makes a.casserole with egg and cream cheese. Have no idea what else is in it but everyone seems to like it. Will try to get the recipe to post.

Ahhh. That makes way more sense. There is a large recipe catalog of something categorized as an “Impossible Pie” using Bisquick plus other ingredients. This spin on the basic stuff sounds really good…like Chili Verde Pie! I’d likely add some sour cream and sweet mango salsa. Ohhh. I’m droolin’.

My current favorite commercial sweet mango salsa thing is from the Marketside label. I get mine at a small neighborhood Walmart grocery. It’s exceptionally good. Subtle heat and excellent overall flavor.

4823540E-0208-490B-9A8C-1555522F1EAB.jpeg

Ahhh. That makes way more sense. There is a large recipe catalog of something categorized as an “Impossible Pie” using Bisquick plus other ingredients. This spin on the basic stuff sounds really good…like Chili Verde Pie! I’d likely add some sour cream and sweet mango salsa. Ohhh. I’m droolin’.

My current favorite commercial sweet mango salsa thing is from the Marketside label. I get mine at a small neighborhood Walmart grocery. It’s exceptionally good. Subtle heat and excellent overall flavor.

View attachment 1424
They don't have that one here. One I do like is Newman's mango/peach salsa.